Windows 10: How to REALLY block Driver wupdate Auto-Installs?

Discus and support How to REALLY block Driver wupdate Auto-Installs? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Obviously there are a lot of bad drivers for Windows 10. Via PC/ Properties / Advanced /Hardware / Device Installation one should, in theory, be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by cognus, Sep 6, 2015.

1. cognus Win User

How to REALLY block Driver wupdate Auto-Installs?

Obviously there are a lot of bad drivers for Windows 10.

Via PC/ Properties / Advanced /Hardware / Device Installation one should, in theory, be able to block.
    Does not work in Windows 10. Device drivers update anyway.

How do I block specific devices or all devices from auto-updating?

Alternatively, what procedure could I use for batching the sequence to "Rollback Driver" when wupdate updates/kills my device? For the sake of novice user I need to make this as painless as possible until MS fixes the issue.

any new ideas?

:)

cognus, Sep 6, 2015
  2. djkawada Win User

KB4013418 brick my computer

You are not alone ... having this issue since w10 auto-updated yesterday.

There is a redit discussion about that priblem but nobody still manage to find a fix.

Some website are also reporting the problem about this kb4013418...

I already tried to create a new admin session, boot up in safe mode, repair wupdate in cmd line, restore the computer..... and lot of other thinvs with no effect...

The w10 community really need a w10 tech to answer about this !

djkawada, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Hack/Fix/Script for BLOCKING KNOWN-BAD DEVICE DRIVERS! Wupdate kills

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We appreciate the feedback that you have provided us with regards to Windows 10 OS. I would recommend that you post your feedback in our feedback app so that our developers can enhance and rectify the issues that are being faced by our customers and to help
    enhance the Windows 10 experience.

Regards.

Vanessa Sohtun, Sep 6, 2015
  4. astonius Win User

astonius, Sep 6, 2015
  5. cognus Win User
    I tried that and it did not show any hardware except the graphics driver. In fact I tried it on two different laptops with two different architectures altogether [one amd apu, the other intel haswell ulv etc] and in both cases I could 'see' graphics device only. everything else the typical ms software.

Additionally/related: If I go to Advanced Options under Windows Updates and look at the Update History, the only Device ever recorded since I installed [clean] Windows 10 retail release, it only shows one lone GPU update - no other "devices". That is certainly not the case 'cause it repeatedly installs bad AMD SATA driver, audio drivers [work], touchpad driver, etc etc etc.

so that's how I get to this point: how do I create something that at least makes it easy for a non-technical person to fix the issue when it inevitably occurs. this is the kind of thing that makes W10 not ready for small business or individuals. just too many issues. In a corporate setting its OK because such things are effectively squashed through doman level Policy.

cognus, Sep 6, 2015
  6. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Sep 6, 2015
  7. cognus Win User
    i'll give the download shawn posted a try. be back later. I think the underlying issue with that approach is w10 isn't recording all the driver installs... not finding the logs or something. these systems I mentioned have, between them, probably 25 or so devices that HAVE been installed and updated via wupdate, but both systems only show devicewise the GPU driver installs.

cognus, Sep 6, 2015
  8. werby Win User

werby, Sep 6, 2015
  9. reddice Win User
    I wonder why no one wrote a third party program that can block these driver updates. The only drivers I have problems with is the Realtek audio drivers which sound flat. Only when I mess around with the equalizer it sounds wider but it really just colors the sound with artificial sound. This is fine if you are using a cheap pair of $20 speakers but I am using a pair of $99 Bose speakers which don't need any enhancements. This is why I prefer the HD Audio Sound Driver which does not color the sound and sounds great.

So now I have Device installation settings disabled not to install drivers from Windows Update and hide the Realtek audio driver using Microsoft tool however when a new driver is pushed again on Windows Update I have to hide it again using there tool and I have to uninstall the junk Realtek audio driver again.

reddice, Sep 6, 2015
  10. cognus Win User
    I have a tip for you. love this app.
    Equalizer APO download | SourceForge.net
    and you will need a User interface for it and the best one is
    Peace, GUI for Equalizer APO download | SourceForge.net

fabulous for those blessed with good speakers/headphones

cognus, Sep 7, 2015
  11. cognus Win User
    even after the most recent major updates, this problem persists.
    there is no way to block that I can find - especially not on Windows 10 Home Premium though I have not yet had anyone PROVE that the measures on any of the versions work. Winupdates still clobbers sound devices and SATA devices and reportedly [though i have not experienced] Video devices

cognus, Dec 13, 2015
  12. reddice Win User
    Setting up a new computer for my mother I wasted over a hour trying not to get the Realtek drivers from not reinstalling. I finally was able to prevent them not buy using Microsoft useless hide tool but instead used http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._minitool.html

The issue with the Realtek is like on every other device. Sound suddenly stops working even though Windows says it's fine. I get dead air and the sound properties even though it says it is working says unable to play test tone.

reddice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to REALLY block Driver wupdate Auto-Installs? - Similar Threads - REALLY block Driver

2. HDMI driver not auto installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDMI driver not auto installing: Was having issues with audio playing but the video falling behind so I followed the steps on the Microsoft website to uninstall drivers and then restart the computer, and now the audio driver for the tv through hdmi just will not install whatsoever...
  3. HDMI driver not auto installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDMI driver not auto installing: Was having issues with audio playing but the video falling behind so I followed the steps on the Microsoft website to uninstall drivers and then restart the computer, and now the audio driver for the tv through hdmi just will not install whatsoever...
  4. how do I really block certain websites?

in Browsers and Email
    how do I really block certain websites?: Apparently, Windows 10 does not honor the hosts file, so I'm a bit confused as to how to block access to certain sites (specifically, I want to block YouTube on the computer that kids are using for online school classes, but the question is general, not about the specific...
  5. How to stop Windows Updates Auto Driver Installs and Feature Updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to stop Windows Updates Auto Driver Installs and Feature Updates?: Hello, I am on build Win 10 Home 1909. 1 I would like to know how I can stop Windows from automatically downloading and installing all device drivers through Windows Update. 2 I would also like to know how to stop Windows from downloading and installing any future...
  6. Stop Driver Auto-Installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop Driver Auto-Installation: Hi, I want to know how to prevent Windows from installing and updating drivers on my laptop. Windows keeps updating my graphic card driver to latest version and that said driver is problematic. I also try to uninstall the driver but Windows always install the driver again....
  7. Really annoying auto compression in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Really annoying auto compression in windows 10: My folders and all files are being auto compressed by windows at the moment. i only had about 15gb of space when this happened suddenly in the middle of work. deleted a bunch of stuff and my space in now around 40gb, i removed some of the blue arrows on by unchecking compres...
  8. How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?: I'm having a hard time making Windows REALLY stop updating without consent. The idea is that when I'm turning on my laptop for the first time in a while I'm usually in a place where I'm hotspotting with my mobile phone. Needless to say I need to limit my data flow making...
  9. Dell E6440 Driver Install Blocked on v1709

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell E6440 Driver Install Blocked on v1709: I'm having issues installing Network Wifi drivers from Dell Support Page/Intel Drivers. Win10 OS version is OK But for some reason the install is blocked. Running the Falls Creators Update v1709 Has anyone had these issues before? 101678
  10. How to block a driver update?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to block a driver update?: Hey Guys This new way of forcing updates is poorly thought out. A new touchpad driver keeps installing, which then causes the touchpad to stop working until I plug in an external mouse and roll back the driver! Is there a way to block/ not install a certain update?...