Windows 10: how to recover external hard drive from windows 10

Discus and support how to recover external hard drive from windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I accidentally downloaded windows10 OS to my 1TB external hard drive, it formatted my hard drive and deleted all my important data. I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hong, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Hong Win User

how to recover external hard drive from windows 10

I accidentally downloaded windows10 OS to my 1TB external hard drive, it formatted my hard drive and deleted all my important data.
    I have been reading some old thread related to this subject. follow as suggested to used MiniTool to scan the hard drive. the result came out with following. it didn't find missing partition therefore I didn't proceed to select partition then apply to recover.

ESD-USB (F*Smile 32.00 GB FAT 32
    unallocated 400+GB

does it mean that all my data is gone since there is no missing partition found?

I am running scan with MiniTool Power Data Recover tool as recommended from MiniTool Partition Wizard free. it will take about another 13 hrs to complete the scan.
    any suggestions/input are appreciated

any

:)

2. How to boot an external harddrive

Windows 10 does not support booting from an external drive.

You can browse and recover data from the drive in the USB enclosure though. Learn how:

How to Recover Data from a Hard Drive that Won't Boot - groovyPost

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/recover-data-n...

Andre Da Costa, Jul 12, 2017
  3. How to recover partitions from external hard drive dueto windows 10 update issues

External Hard Drive has lost previous partitions when reinstalling windows 10 to enable the latest windows 10 update.

Can you advise how to recover lost partition.

TrevorChadban, Jul 12, 2017
  4. Rocky Win User

Rocky, Jul 12, 2017
  5. Hong Win User
    thank you for the suggestions

Hong, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. how to recover external hard drive from windows 10 - Similar Threads - recover external hard

2. Recover files from 2TB external hard drive Installation Media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover files from 2TB external hard drive Installation Media: I loaded the Microsoft installation media ISO onto a 2 TB external hard drive. At first the original storage capacity wasn't shown correctly. For example, the drive was showing 300 GB available after finishing the Windows 10 install on another PC. After formatting the...
  3. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  4. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  5. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. How to recover files from external hard disk drive in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to recover files from external hard disk drive in windows 10: How to recover files from external hard disk drive in windows 10 . the computer is recognizing the HDD with a Drive Letter but display error "not accessable" and ask for it to be reformatted....
  7. Recovering Windows 10 key from an external hard disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recovering Windows 10 key from an external hard disk: Hi, Need urgent support. My laptop which i had installed Windows 10 original and key is dead/ I have lost my CD and the cover too. Since the laptop is not switching ON and not working, i rem0ved the Hard Disk. so now i have that Hard drive as an External Disk. But how can i...
  8. How to run Windows 10 from external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to run Windows 10 from external hard drive?: How to run Windows 10 from external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-run-windows-10-from-external-hard-drive/bce57bfe-33ec-4dd1-9e27-2101a005c2b4
  9. Recovering files from a backup on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering files from a backup on an external hard drive: Hi there. Since my desk top PC, running Windows 10, started misbehaving a couple of years ago I've been using a laptop for day to day work. I've given up on the old desktop and now want to recover various files - music, photos and Office documents from the 1TB WD Elements...
  10. Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive: Just this evening I found the external hard drive used with our last PC. I have not connected it to our current PC in fear of making some dreadful mistake. My goal is to retrieve all jpg image files from that old drive. Note, I use File History to save files from our current...