Windows 10: how to recover files attributed 'read only' from a former c: drive?

Discus and support how to recover files attributed 'read only' from a former c: drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I migrated to a ssd and i need to move some files so i can format the former c: drive. i tried to change the security permissions,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fjonkaren, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Fjonkaren Win User

how to recover files attributed 'read only' from a former c: drive?

Hello.

I migrated to a ssd and i need to move some files so i can format the former c: drive.

i tried to change the security permissions, owners, users and all that with a guide i found online. i removed the inheritance and replaced child object permission entries and added new. i tried to change the attributes in cmd.

now im stuck. i just need to copy the files and i dont get why it isnt letting me i mean if it is read only it should let me copy them no?..

please help.

:)

Fjonkaren, Jan 30, 2017

2. Why can't I disable the "READ ONLY" attribute on a folder in WINDOWS 10?

the actual Folder name is "c\Crossover"
    What is your purpose for wanting to do this?

Generally, one wants to let the Read-only attribute of a folder alone. It's not the same as for a file; it has special system uses, as explained in...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326549

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

That is all true of Win 10 too.

(1) If a special folder has lost its Read-only or System attribute, one may turn it back on in DOS.

But turning them off is inadvisable.

(2) In File Explorer, one may put a check mark into a folder's Read-only attribute, but it doesn't turn it on

for the folder. Instead, all the files within the folder will have their Read-only attribute set.

PCR Just PCR, Jan 30, 2017
  3. Marie Ave Win User
    Documents folder keeps changing to read-only.

Hi MAds121212,

The Read-only and System attributes is only used by File Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (example: My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or
    a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's
    Properties dialog box. The File Explorer will not allow Read-only or System attributes of folder to view or change.

In that case, you will need to use Attrib command at a command prompt to view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders. To do this:

1. Hold the Windows key + R, type cmd.exe then press
    Enter.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r +s c:\test

Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:

attrib -r -s c:\test

Let us know how it goes.

Marie Ave, Jan 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

It's probably easiest to try booting from an external boot disk and avoid all the permissions issues.

Download Kyhi's bootable disk (top of the Software and Apps section and create a bootable DVD or USB drive .

Boot your PC from that - you will see it looks like Windows, but it's not your installed Windows.

You will need to check the drive letters you see carefully- they will probably not be the same now.

============
    Does your PC boot successfully from the SSD, and did you set your PC up to use AHCI not IDE when you migrated Windows to it? (You get better performance from your SSD if you've done that).

dalchina, Jan 30, 2017
  5. Fjonkaren Win User
    Thanks ill have a look at it..

is there a not easy way? even if it is harder i'll learn something...

Fjonkaren, Jan 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Yes... get a geeky friend to do it for you...*Biggrin

Creating a boot disk and booting from it is a technique that's been around for many years. What makes it easy is that Kyhi's disk boots to Windows... else you'd be faced with doing everything with typed commands from a command prompt.

Which is what we did 25 years ago with MS-DOS and UNIX - before Windows.

This is the easy way. Unless you want to put both disks in boxes, and connect them both as USB disks to a working PC...

dalchina, Jan 31, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I use a Linux Mint LiveDVD to do such chores.

Berton, Jan 31, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

@Berton I think using a non-Windows environment could be confusing here- and even some of those terms might be unfamiliar.

dalchina, Jan 31, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    Could be, I just don't find any great problems in simple file management. But then my first computer was back in '92 with MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.1, didn't have much ease in doing it.

Berton, Jan 31, 2017
  10. Fjonkaren Win User
    so unsatisfying this. why is this happening again? i'll do this bootable drive thing but ill still would like to know why it dosent let me copy the file.

Fjonkaren, Jan 31, 2017
  11. Fjonkaren Win User
    Ok issue resolved. thanks for the help

Fjonkaren, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. how to recover files attributed 'read only' from a former c: drive? - Similar Threads - recover files attributed

2. File attributes for user account persistently on read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File attributes for user account persistently on read only: I think I have just started having this problem two days ago. I wasn't able to save on my C drive in the documents folder and thought reinstalling stuff will work. Now I see that everything in the User directory has been set to read only. I tried deselecting the option but...
  3. File attributes for user account persistently on read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File attributes for user account persistently on read only: I think I have just started having this problem two days ago. I wasn't able to save on my C drive in the documents folder and thought reinstalling stuff will work. Now I see that everything in the User directory has been set to read only. I tried deselecting the option but...
  4. File attributes for user account persistently on read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?: Sometimes when I download a new file or archive from the internet, it has the Read Only attribute set either on the file/archive itself, or on files within the archive probably was set by the person who uploaded it, or was automatically set if it came from another operating...
  6. Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?

Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?: Sometimes when I download a new file or archive from the internet, it has the Read Only attribute set probably was set by the person who uploaded it, or was automatically set if it came from another operating system besides Windows 10. This can cause the program I use to...
  7. Rating File Attribute Read Only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rating File Attribute Read Only: After upgrading to Windows 11, I have noticed that the "Rating" File Attribute on Video or Photos is now Read only and there is no way to modify or edit it. In Windows 10 this works fine. As a matter of fact, if I take that file back to a Windows 10 machine, I am able to edit...
  8. Rating File Attribute Read Only

Rating File Attribute Read Only: After upgrading to Windows 11, I have noticed that the "Rating" File Attribute on Video or Photos is now Read only and there is no way to modify or edit it. In Windows 10 this works fine. As a matter of fact, if I take that file back to a Windows 10 machine, I am able to edit...
  9. Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders

Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders: updated my nvidia graphics driver, started getting blue screen crashes. System restore did not correct. Found an nvidia sound device had been installed. Removed it and crashes stopped.Since then my folders are all read only and cannot be changed.Completed windows updaterun...
  10. File Explorer does not honor the READ-ONLY attribute

File Explorer does not honor the READ-ONLY attribute: All, I stumbled across a situation that I believe is a problem in the Windows 10 File Explorer implementation. The File Explorer does not honor the file READ-ONLY attribute. Proof: Open a CMD prompt Make mkdir \tmp or go to cd \tmp Using NotePad create a test file -...