Windows 10: How to reduce spacing between icons in the taskbar?

Discus and support How to reduce spacing between icons in the taskbar? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have my Win10 taskbar on the right side. Set small icons for the task bar. Is there a way to reduce the space between the icons in the taskbar so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mck, Oct 18, 2016.

1. MCK
    mck Win User

How to reduce spacing between icons in the taskbar?

Have my Win10 taskbar on the right side. Set small icons for the task bar.
    Is there a way to reduce the space between the icons in the taskbar so I can see more icons?

:)

2. BobPegg Win User

Space allotted to desktop icons

My desktop icons have "extra" space in the name area. Is there a way to reduce this dead space?

BobPegg, Oct 18, 2016
  3. Aminovos Win User
    Windows 10 desktop icons large space

Dear community

After Windows 10 upgrade, I'm having a problem with desktop icons with large space between each other. Not to mention the desktop icons cannot go to the edge of the taskbar or to the edge of right screen. The desktop icons can only be placed like 5 centimeters
    from the edge of the taskbar and almost 3 centimeters from the edge of the right screen. Here is the picture with Recycle Bin and Chrome as only icons you can see: http://oi58.tinypic.com/x1dlza.jpg

I want my desktop icons to fit on edge on taskbar as well on edge of right screen like in Windows 7. And I also want not to have a large space between desktop icons, but just the same space between icons like in Windows 7. How can I do that?

Aminovos, Oct 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, not seen anything on that.. yet..

1. Save space:
    You can remove things from the taskbar to create space. I assume with the taskbar on the right, you've disabled the Cortana search box already, for example. More here:
    14 Ways to Customize the Taskbar in Windows 10

2: Increase space available:
    Note the idea of increasing the taskbar's size "Resize the taskbar"

dalchina, Oct 19, 2016
  5. MCK
    mck Win User
    Thanks for taking the time to help. I previously saw the link you posted and hid the search and task view icons. That helps. I was just hoping there's a way to decrease the spacing between the taskbar icons to have more icons without that "switch" button appearing and some icons going on to an extended taskbar when I open several programs.

For now, I created a quick launch toolbar to store some less used icons to make space. But I hope someone figures out a way to decrease the spacing of the icons on the taskbar though.

Thanks!

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, rather than try to fill your taskbar with icons, when programs you launch want to use it, why not
    a. Consider a free docked launcher which hides (if you wish) - free, small use of RAM, reliable

How to reduce spacing between icons in the taskbar? [​IMG]

STabLauncher
    sTabLauncher 2.2.3 free download - Software reviews, downloads, news, free trials, freeware and full commercial software - Downloadcrew

b. Use a good start menu (Classic Shell) - free- correctly expresses a complex start menu with subfolders - which Win 10's doesn't- and has an excellent configurable search field

dalchina, Oct 19, 2016
  7. MCK
    mck Win User
    sTabLauncher is a very interesting task launcher that I have not seen before. Seems like it could be a good solution. I never cared for the animated task launchers that increase the size of icons as the cursor hovers over them or do other animated things, so sTabLauncher looks good since it doesn't appear to do animations. I might give it a try after I get my new Win10 PC all set up. Could save one click that the Win10 quick launcher needs to open.

I already installed the Classic Shell in my Win10 PC since I used it with Win8 before. It's the first thing I do for Windows for myself and my friends, since Win8. It's a great program. One really nice thing it does for Win10 is it allows getting back the light gray color for the taskbar which is not available in Win10.

Thanks for your very nice suggestions,

8. MCK
    mck Win User

Gave sTabLauncher a try but it turned out to be an annoyance for me. When mousing on the screen, sTabLauncher would open when not wanted. Tried it at the top and the bottom of the screen in normal and hidden modes but eventually it would pop up when I moused near the top or the bottom. There is no option to place it on the sides so was not able to try it on the left side (my Win10 taskbar is on the right side).

That experience did point out that "any" launcher that pops up when mousing around the screen won't work for me. I'm going to stay with the Win10 "Quick Launch" toolbar since it only pops up when I click on it. Did learn that the one extra click to display Win10's Quick Launch toolbar "only when I need it", works best for my way of using my PC. Others mileage will vary.

Just sharing my personal experience in case it might help someone,

9. dalchina New Member
    Try changing an option- Options, Behaviour, click Open on Mouse click.

That way you move your mouse to the top of the screen (if that's where it's docked), then click to unhide sTablauncher.

Or, in the same options, change the Open delay. That way it takes longer to open, but can avoid spurious unhiding.

dalchina, Nov 2, 2016
  10. MCK
    mck Win User
    Hi Dalchina,

Thanks for your sTabLauncher tip.

I discovered that If I need to click to open a launcher, then clicking Win10's "Quick Launch" works well for me. I'm used to mousing to the right side since all of my Windows (7, 8 and 10) taskbars have been on the right, ever since I started using 16:9 aspect screens. So mousing to the right and clicking there for Quick Launch seems rather natural.

I did find that removing sTabLauncher is rather difficult. Using "Program & Features" to uninstall it still leaves it's icon on the desktop and leaves many remnants in the registry. I manually searched for and deleted sTabLauncher entries in the registry but there are about 4 that I wasn't sure about so did not delete them. After I do my next system backup, I'm going to run CCleaner to see if it can clean the remaining remnants.

It would be really nice if someone comes up with a way to decrease the spacing of the icons on Win10's taskbar. I'm using the small icons but the spacing between them is making the small icons a bit ineffective. Guess Win10 wants a lot of space around the icons for touch screen users, so mouse users are not considered.

Thanks,

11. dalchina New Member
    If Stablauncher doesn't meet your needs, try Launchmate (which I used to use).
    LaunchMate Introduction

LaunchMate is the program launcher that will end your search. It can dock to any edge of the screen just like the Windows taskbar. You can organize your programs in up to 50 categories -a sure a way to remove the clutter. LaunchMate is one of the most customizable programs you'll find. One of its standout features is the ability to set the display settings for each program so that when it is launched the screen will change to those settings.

You can have different coloured backgrounds so each category has a different colour. Just a straight rectangular bar with overlaid categories.

dalchina, Nov 2, 2016
  12. Stitch194 Win User
    Get rid of the useless start up apps and customize the start menu with your frequently used programs. Pin them to the start menu instead of the task bar.

Stitch194, Nov 3, 2016
  13. pepanee Win User

Suggest it as a feature for 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.

It used to have the option to minimize the spacing between the icons in the Taskbar for Pre-Windows 10 Operating Systems.

pepanee, Nov 3, 2016
  14. MCK
    mck Win User
    Hi Dalchina,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll remember this thread and your Launchmate suggestion and return to it if I decide to try another launcher.

For now, I'm going to use the Win10 Quick Launch toolbar and see how it goes. I have moved enough shortcuts from the taskbar to Quick Launch so there is enough room on the taskbar now for multiple tasks to open and placing their icons on the taskbar without the taskbar going into two view mode. Really hated it when that used to happen.

Thanks,

15. megaquark Win User
    Just FI - I found a nifty app called PD Tray Factory. Basically I have one icon for that and I can move whatever I want in the system tray to it leaving only the most frequently used outside of it. It's not the same as expansion of the bar because I can also hide what I want. But if I REALLY need access to something that's normally there that I've hidden, I just double click it and I have the full list to choose from. Still not ideal. I'd love to just get rid of that spacing. Seems ridiculous on a tablet pc when running in PC mode. Would make a lot more sense if it expanded when I flipped the keyboard over and then went back when I was using the PC mode.
    What I can't figure out is that I have a desktop where the icons are much closer together. But I have an HP desktop with a touchscreen that has them far apart. It seems to sense whether or not you have a touch screen and adjusts it automatically. If there was a way to just turn that off or set it to use only when in tablet mode, that would solve everythign and should't be too hard. May be even achievable through registry edits but I'm not that good to do it myself.

megaquark, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to reduce spacing between icons in the taskbar? - Similar Threads - reduce spacing between

2. KB5023706 - Bug: To much space between taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5023706 - Bug: To much space between taskbar icons: Hi,follwing system: Notebook running with Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22621.1413, no touchdevice, used als workstation pc with external keyboard, mouse and two displays additional to internal nootbookdisplay.After installing win update KB5023706 space between the taskbar...
  3. KB5023706 - Bug: To much space between taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5023706 - Bug: To much space between taskbar icons: Hi,follwing system: Notebook running with Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22621.1413, no touchdevice, used als workstation pc with external keyboard, mouse and two displays additional to internal nootbookdisplay.After installing win update KB5023706 space between the taskbar...
  4. How to remove extra space between desktop icons and taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove extra space between desktop icons and taskbar?: Been having a minor issue where the desktop icons and OS watermark are too far away from the taskbar.Not too big of a deal - I'm in Win11 Dev Channel so bugs are expected but other PCs with this build don't have this issue.I don't think this is an insider-related issue for...
  5. How to remove extra space between desktop icons and taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove extra space between desktop icons and taskbar?: Been having a minor issue where the desktop icons and OS watermark are too far away from the taskbar.Not too big of a deal - I'm in Win11 Dev Channel so bugs are expected but other PCs with this build don't have this issue.I don't think this is an insider-related issue for...
  6. Is the space between the desktop icon and the taskbar too big or is it normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is the space between the desktop icon and the taskbar too big or is it normal?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/NiceSignal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ji0xhl/is_the_space_between_the_desktop_icon_and_the/
  7. Strange Spacing Between Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange Spacing Between Taskbar Icons: I have recently been experiencing a bit of a problem on the taskbar on my computer. For some reason, when I open a program that isn't in the taskbar, there is a strange spacing between it and the taskbar icons, as if there's an invisible icon in between. Does anyone know how...
  8. How to reduce system tray icon spacing?

How to reduce system tray icon spacing?: My Windows 10 system tray looks like http://puu.sh/jB7xz/a2efac640e.png for both large or small taskbar icons. The spacing between systray icons are larger than in previous versions of Windows. Nearly everyone's screenshots of W10 have systrays that are more like...
  9. Increase space between a set of taskbar icons?

Increase space between a set of taskbar icons?: Let's say I have 20 icons (small) equally spaced within the taskbar and that the last three on the right end all have to do with turning the computer on/off/sleep. I'd like to be able to put in a space or two that will separate these last three from the other 17 icons on the...
  10. How to increase spacing between icon and filename

in Windows 10 Support
    How to increase spacing between icon and filename: hey guys, i've searched the net for this but found no solution can anybody explain to me how to increase the spacing at the arrow shown at the picture [img] the spacing between the filename and icon is too narrow, example if the folder has picture [img] Any help is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar hidden icons are having extra spacing windows 10

2. windows 7 taskbar toolbar icon spacing

3. windows 10 reduce taskbar icon spacing