Windows 10: How to reduce system tray icon spacing?

Discus and support How to reduce system tray icon spacing? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My Windows 10 system tray looks like http://puu.sh/jB7xz/a2efac640e.png for both large or small taskbar icons. The spacing between systray icons are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by IcyStorm, Aug 14, 2015.

1. IcyStorm Win User

How to reduce system tray icon spacing?

My Windows 10 system tray looks like http://puu.sh/jB7xz/a2efac640e.png for both large or small taskbar icons. The spacing between systray icons are larger than in previous versions of Windows.

Nearly everyone's screenshots of W10 have systrays that are more like https://i.imgur.com/9BWDddU.jpg

How do I go about changing this? I normally use a vertical taskbar and this http://puu.sh/jB7BD/9b856ff94d.png is driving me nuts.

My DPI's at 100%, and the presence of Cortana and the Task View button don't seem to matter.

:)

IcyStorm, Aug 14, 2015

2. No emoji keyboard in Windows 10 system tray

Trying to learn how to use emojis and all direct me to the keyboard icon in the system tray. There IS NO keyboard icon in my system tray. How do I get it?

joeygirl5164, Aug 14, 2015
  3. System tray icon spacing in WIndows 10

Hi Jason,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing some issue regarding Window 10 system tray icons. Let me help you.

I suggest you to go through the answer provided by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene
    and check.

Click on,
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/tray-icons-reduce-spacing/93991e6b-5c53-4df5-af4e-3bdf3fde17fe

I hope the information helps. If you have further queries, please reply with the details. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 14, 2015
  4. How to reduce system tray icon spacing?

Hi, you need to change how your icons are shown in the notification area.

1. Right click the time on the taskbar
    2. Click customize notification icons
    3. Settings pane appears, click "select which icons appear on the taskbar
    4. Turn off "Always show all icons in the notification area"

cristian0411, Aug 15, 2015
  5. IcyStorm Win User
    It's already off. Toggling it doesn't seem to change it (other than what it's supposed to change).

IcyStorm, Aug 15, 2015
  6. Tepid Win User
    It's not possible, due to Touch Screen spacing.

Tepid, Aug 16, 2015
  7. IcyStorm Win User
    That doesn't exactly explain why some people have smaller spacing in between. And when tablet mode is enabled, the spacing becomes even larger.

At this point I'm just suspecting that this is a bug and that the smaller spacing is actually unintended.

IcyStorm, Aug 16, 2015
  8. How to reduce system tray icon spacing?

Even with show all icons enabled, my spacing is more like what's seen in the 2nd screenshot in the OP.

How to reduce system tray icon spacing? [​IMG]

fracking4oil, Aug 16, 2015
  9. rvcjew Win User
    What is your resolution it might be based off that, i'm at 1440p and it seems fairly close.

rvcjew, Aug 17, 2015
  10. xips Win User
    There is a work around if you are willing to lose touch screen capability. In Device Manger disable HID-compliant touch screen. If you need touch screen, a powershell script will toggle it fast.

11. Try3 Win User
    xips - What would the PS script be? Denis

12. xips Win User
    Are you ready for dependencies? *Smile There are probably many ways to solve this but one method is to import PowerShell Device Management Module. If you have issues see the Q & A tab. Then something like...

Code: Get-PnpDevice | Where-Object { $_.FriendlyName -match 'HID-Compliant Touch Screen' } | Disable-PnpDevice[/quote] This is a quicky I ganked off the net. You can get elegant and go deep, I leave mine off 24/7. First world problems *Smile

DeviceManagement.zip

13. xips Win User

After a closer look at Win 10 Powershell I see it has evolved and the DeviceManager addins are not needed. Big difference between Win 7 PS but I'm learning. The following script toggles touchscreen. If touchscreen is on, it disables it. If touchscreen is off, it attempts to enable it. It requires admin rights and the only qualifying it performs is identifying the touchscreen device. It is quick and dirty and may bomb when PS evolves. Tested and ran in PS ISE.

Code: $TouchScreen = Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName 'HID-Compliant Touch Screen' if ( $TouchScreen.Status -eq 'OK' ) { $TouchScreen | Disable-PnpDevice -confirm:$false } else { $TouchScreen | Enable-PnpDevice -confirm:$false }[/quote]

14. Try3 Win User
    xips,

Thanks, I'll experiment with it. Oh & thanks for the links as well, they are interesting.

And adding in elevation using one of the links you provided gives this as the final result [tested a few times already and it seems reliable] -

# Escalate privileges if not admin
    If (-not ([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal][Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] "Administrator")) {
    $Arguments = "& '" + $MyInvocation.mycommand.definition + "'"
    Start-Process powershell -Verb runAs -ArgumentList $Arguments
    Break
    }
    $TouchScreen = Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName 'HID-Compliant Touch Screen'
    if ( $TouchScreen.Status -eq 'OK' ) { $TouchScreen | Disable-PnpDevice -confirm:$false } else { $TouchScreen | Enable-PnpDevice -confirm:$false }

The system tray icon spacing does close up / open up as the touchscreen is disabled / re-enabled.

Denis

Thema:

1. How to reduce system tray icon spacing? - Similar Threads - reduce system tray

2. Windows 11 System Tray Icon Spacing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 System Tray Icon Spacing: I logged in one morning and the spacing of all the icons in my system tray has doubled. I can't recall whether there was a small Windows update that morning or not. I've searched online for a solution, but I've either found suggestion for 3rd party software no thanks or...
  3. Windows 11 System Tray Icon Spacing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 System Tray Icon Spacing: I logged in one morning and the spacing of all the icons in my system tray has doubled. I can't recall whether there was a small Windows update that morning or not. I've searched online for a solution, but I've either found suggestion for 3rd party software no thanks or...
  4. System Tray Icons Hiding Behind Blank Space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Tray Icons Hiding Behind Blank Space: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jdbassi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fwq5k1/system_tray_icons_hiding_behind_blank_space/
  5. how to reduce windows systems space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to reduce windows systems space: my ssd drive is taken up with over 74.1 gb of Windows Systems files with an additional 4.7gb of virtual memory and 2.4 of hibernation files. this is on a disk of 102gb. how can i reduce the Windows Systems files so i can use more of my memory and update windows 142597
  6. how to reduce windows systems space

in Windows 10 Support
    how to reduce windows systems space: my ssd drive is taken up with over 74.1 gb of Windows Systems files with an additional 4.7gb of virtual memory and 2.4 of hibernation files. this is on a disk of 102gb. how can i reduce the Windows Systems files so i can use more of my memory and update windows 142597
  7. How to Disable the System Tray Icons "Jumping"

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Disable the System Tray Icons "Jumping": For a while now, the icons in my system tray (bottom right corner of the screen next to where date & time is displayed) have been "jumping". This makes it difficult to click on an icon such as power, sound, or network. As far as I can tell, this glitch occurs every time I'm...
  8. System Tray Icon

System Tray Icon: I have a vision problem and the Safely Remove Icon is very hard for me to see. I would like to change the icon to something more visible. I can't seem to find it in the registry. Thank you....
  9. system tray icons

system tray icons: I received an update to Win 10 and ever since the update, I am only able to see two icons on the system tray at the same time. For example, I now have the speaker icon and the wifi "fan" icon on the system tray. I would like to also have the battery icon on like I've always...
  10. How to reduce spacing between icons in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reduce spacing between icons in the taskbar?: Have my Win10 taskbar on the right side. Set small icons for the task bar. Is there a way to reduce the space between the icons in the taskbar so I can see more icons? 67340

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system tray spacing

2. windows 10 notification tray icon spacing