Windows 10: How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive?

Discus and support How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, all: Seeing this thread, being preoccupied today with work projects, and generally obsessing over the imminent arrival of my first system with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MoxieMomma, Jun 25, 2016.

1. How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive?

Hi, all:

Seeing this thread, being preoccupied today with work projects, and generally obsessing over the imminent arrival of my first system with dual internal drives, I must ask my next really stupid question:

How do I relocate my data from "My Documents" on the 256GB SSD OS drive on which I assume it will arrive from the factory to the other, internal, data drive (a 2 TB spinner)?

All of my previous and current systems had/have a single hard drive (either a spinner or a SSD, but not both).
    So this is new for me.*Sad

This will be an OEM box, not an upgrade and not a home-built system.
    I assume it will arrive from the factory with "everything" on the SSD (C:\) and "nothing" on the spinner (I guess the HDD will be D:\?).
    FWIW the system will have only a single, Admin user account.

Before I get too far down a rabbit hole when it arrives later this week and before I move my "old" data from the old system to the new one, I just need to know how to make sure that I properly locate my data folders (documents, pictures, videos, etc.) on the new system's data HDD, rather than on its OS SSD.

I presume it's not as easy as a mere "drag and drop" of the "My Documents" folder from C:\ to D:\, right?
    I have to somehow "point" Windoze to the new, non-default location?

I know, this is a really, really stupid question from an old geezer.*Redface

So thanks very much for your patience,*Smile

MM

:)

MoxieMomma, Jun 25, 2016

2. PLEASE UPGRADE NOKIA X2 TO " SYMBIAN OS " EDITION ...

download j2me edition of blueftp to your x2. Configure the settings on application access.

Then browse files, highlight the file which you want to hide press 9

three action will appear.

generalmember, Jun 25, 2016
  3. Battōsai Win User
    PLEASE UPGRADE NOKIA X2 TO " SYMBIAN OS " EDITION ...

Battōsai, Jun 25, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive?

Yes, if all your data sub-folders and files are within the Libraries, My Documents section, you can go into each of the directories within Documents and copy everything belonging to you from the source directories over into the target directories.

RolandJS, Jun 26, 2016
  5. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Jun 26, 2016
  6. Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean about "target directories" -- how do I create them without screwing up the default Windows behavior. I guess you are saying that I would just manually create a folder called "My Documents" (and all the usual sub-folders) on the data drive?

MoxieMomma, Jun 26, 2016
  7. Hi:

O
    M
    G
    CRAP!
    I knew it would not be easy.

When I boot up the system for the first time, out of the box, I think the first step will be to agree to the Dell EULA.
    Then, Windows will ask me to create a user account/profile, no?

I just had a quick read of the tutorial (Option 2). It is very well done, as always....
    BUT I'm a bit unnerved by the red box warning, as I really depend on the start menu (Luddite) and search function.
    And, if I understand the tutorial correctly, it would be best to move the folders BEFORE I create my User account and after creating a system image -- but how would I do that if I don't even yet have a Windows User account???? (Feels like a Catch-22.)

And the tutorial itself appears to be very far over my head. @Kari's video is GREAT, but I already see a major problem for me: I will NOT have the Windows install media.
    Dell no longer ships Windows media discs with new computers.
    I cannot order the media for ~3 weeks after purchase.
    So it seems there is no way for me to follow the tutorial/video because I cannot perform this step:
    OK, I will have to spend more time on this when I can focus and better process the instructions.
    It looks daunting and dangerous, in terms of breaking something before I even have the thing up and running.

Sigh.
    I will be back with more questions eventually.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 26, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

9. essenbe Win User
    As with most things, it is not as complicated as it looks.

essenbe, Jun 26, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    I completely agree with that!

@MoxieMomma, the method shown in Essenbe's excellent video might suit you better. It is easy, the video shows you exactly what and in which order to do.

11. Thanks, everyone.

I'll be back in touch soon.

Much obliged,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jun 30, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Actually it can be that simple. It all depends on the user really.
    If you just create the storage folders on your d:\ drive/partition and make a habit of saving files there then that's all there is to it.

Personally I leave all these folders Windows creates on the OS partitions for what they should be IMHO : empty. *Wink
    No idea if the latest builds still tend to messing this up but on several machines I've encountered various troubles when these folders were relocated to a different partition.
    On one occasion I've even seen some of them relocated to OneDrive with the user swearing he'd never touched it. Go figure.

To my mind (and 30 years in the industry) data and OS should be separate. Call that old school if you like but it still seems like a sound plan to me.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 30, 2016
  13. How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive?

I recommend creating a Local account when you first boot up the machine. Reasons are numerous, but using a local account to sign-in retains the name you want in the folder locations. The folder names are parsed from the MS Account if you choose that.

Local account sign-in: C:\Users\MoxiMomma
    MS account sign-in: C:\Users\MoxiM

At least I think it's 5 characters from the MS account name

That's just my recommendation for a sign-in account. You can always change the account type to a MS account later for ease-of-use with MS services.

As essenbe mentioned there are various ways to move user data off of the SSD.

I move the folder wholesale to another drive or partition and change the profilelist entry in the registry so that Windows knows where my profile lives (essenbe's video and Brink's Win7 tutorial)

There are some reports that this method causes upgrades (not update) to fail. I've never had that problem - maybe it's becasue I also have a 2nd Admin account that lives in C:\Users. Oh yeah, it's a good idea to create a 2nd Admin account in case you need it *Wink

Moving the profile wholesale means you don't have to worry about the other storage (temp, history, internet, mail,.....)

The new option in Win10 is Settings > Save locations.
    This essentially tells Windows that you want to save stuff (docs, music, pics, vids) to another location.
    If you use this, expect to see a folder named MoxieMomma (or whatever your account name is) on the drive with the corresponding folder (Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos) under that. You don't get to pick the folder. just the drive.

Another method is to change the Location properties of each User folder. Here you can specify any drive and folder tree that you want. If you use this method, don't move the AppData folder - I suggest changing the location of only 4 folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos)

What AppData folder you say ... the hidden one (Explorer > View menu ribbon - tick Hidden items)

A few notes about the tutorial:

1) My Documents, My Pictures .... is sooooooo Win7 *Wink
    Win8 and Win10 just call them Documents, Pictures .....

2) The move and ok buttons
    Move lets you pick the new location - drive, folder AND file name
    After filling in the new location press OK

I find it easier to just change the drive letter in the location window to point to a different drive
    Cur. location = C:\Users\\Documents
    New location = D:\Users\\Documents
    then hit OK (not move)

Answer yes to move files

There ya go 15 ways to move User data off your SSD

Take your time, plan out how you want your system to look and operate - read many tuts and ask plenty of questions. If you do that, you'll have fun.

Oh wait there's also using Libraires *Biggrin

I couldn't find a tutorial on Onedrive, but I think you can change the location in the pgm's settings. You cannot use the other methods above.

I don't recall if that was during the tech preview or after. Then again, I've been having memory leaks *Redface

Slartybart, Jun 30, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    I've been doing it just the way the video is since Windows 7 first came out. I've continued through a brief stint with 8 and now 10. I Move everything except the AppData and have never had a problem. 10 seems to handle it just as well as 7, maybe even better. I have a local and MS account. Both are admin accounts. I have never had an upgrade fail. I don't do any regedits or anything. Everything works exactly the same as it does with the user folders on C. Just my experience. Other's mileage may vary.

essenbe, Jun 30, 2016
  15. Now I have to watch the video again ... I've done this so many ways, I think I just wing it *Biggrin

Move or Relocate User Folders (Video)

Hmmm, after reading your post above (no reg mods) , I wonder ... am I referring to a different Tutorial?
    User Profile - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums

This is one of the first tuts I have used religiously after joining Vistax64 (trying to solve a HW issue) and then SevenForums

I do agree that moving the user profile wholesale is the cleanest method

Slartybart, Jul 1, 2016
Thema:

1. How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive? - Similar Threads - relocate data 2nd

2. Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive: HiThere are a number of earlier questions & answers on moving the above folders successfully out of C Drive.Will these procedures still work in 2023 with OneDrive set up as normal or will it stuff up My Computer\ documents\ pictures etc?...
  3. How to relocate iCloud Photos AWAY from boot drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to relocate iCloud Photos AWAY from boot drive.: It seems like everyone only has one hdd, but I have MANY, and I'd like to have space on my boot drive restored. All indications are that the photos are in the "cloud," but they still occupy my .5tb boot drive taking up almost all of the space. There is a cloud symbol by...
  4. Installation Apps and Data on 2nd Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installation Apps and Data on 2nd Drive: I have Dell XPS8940 machine with two drives SSD ( C:) and HDD ( D:) with SATA operation and configured in BIOS for RAID mode. My OS is Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685 ). I wish all new apps and folders: downloads, documents, music, pictures, videos be installed on D: drive...
  5. Upgrading an OS that is on a separate drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading an OS that is on a separate drive?: I have this PC running Win7. For security, I’m planning on upgrading it to Win10. The OS is installed in a SSD while all the files are in a HDD. Ive heard most people say a clean install is better than an upgrade. So, how would I go about installing win10 in my SSD, without...
  6. Transferring Data from one internal drive to another

Transferring Data from one internal drive to another: Hello, I want to get a new hard drive that is faster and has more storage, and I have one picked out. What I need help with is figuring out how I can transfer all of my current information to the new drive when I get it. I am looking for something like a 3rd party solution or...
  7. How to back-up to separate internal drive?

How to back-up to separate internal drive?: I have a RAID 0 partition with 2 SSD drives 800GB, that I'm trying to set up backups to a separateinternal drive HDD 1TB, however, I'm having issues getting the drive to show up on FileHistory. I have tried a couple formatting options for the drive, but they do not seem to...
  8. OS on separate hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS on separate hard drive.: I want to have my Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive from everything on my PC. This would make it easy to organize my PC and I would never have to reinstall the OS again. The only problem I have is that some of the software and apps that I've installed on other hard...
  9. Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive: I was replacing My son' old computer and I decided to remove the HD and put it into my case for extra storage/back-up. When I start or restart the computer I get a screen I have never seen before on this computer. It is the American Maegtrends bios screen I believe. I've seen...
  10. Data on separate partition or drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...