Windows 10: How to remove/disable Windows Edge browser?

Discus and support How to remove/disable Windows Edge browser? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi I am wanting to remove or at least disable edge browser in Windows 10. I will never use this web browser and so would like to get it out of the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jbmatthew, Aug 12, 2015.

1. jbmatthew Win User

How to remove/disable Windows Edge browser?

Hi

I am wanting to remove or at least disable edge browser in Windows 10. I will never use this web browser and so would like to get it out of the way.

Thanks for the help*Smile

:)

jbmatthew, Aug 12, 2015

2. Edge Sucks. How do I get IE11 back?

You can disable Edge by renaming several files.

How to remove/disable Windows Edge browser? - Windows 10 Forums

Don

Don Varnau, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Don Varnau, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Matthew, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You could do so by unpinning Microsoft Edge from the taskbar and Start menu, and setting whatever web browser you wanted to use instead as the default program instead.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 12, 2015
  5. jbmatthew Win User
    Thank you @Brink. I was looking for a solution a bit more like the add/remove Windows features where you could disable internet explorer. It's looking at the moment like there is no way to get rid of it, just hide it unless there is a way to do it with the registry.

jbmatthew, Aug 12, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I wouldn't recommend to try and remove Microsoft Edge since it's just as easy to hide and not use it.

Brink, Aug 12, 2015
  7. Djmacp Win User
    Hi, I also would like to disable EDGE browser as I prefer CHROME

However, I have noticed a lot of lag since upgrading to 10 and I have noticed when using Ccleaner, EDGE is running and won't close, the files instead are "skipped" so obviously MS have EDGE written in as still to run even when a different browser is selected..!! NOT helpful.
    (ave also noticed that the touchpad settings have been altered and i can no longer use the single finger scroll on the right hand side..!)
    *Sad

Djmacp, Aug 15, 2015
  8. frybyte Win User

Invisible-izing Edge does nothing to increase performance as it continues to run in background. use of a different browser may not have anything to do with security or reliability at this time more about familiarity and usefulness since in the past MS-browsers were the worst.
    Having it still run collecting cpu-s and affecting performance is a negative and at the moment the only bad thing i really notice in this new version. I can accept that MS won't allow non-native programs to load as fast as native ones but this browser in the background using power is bad bad bad.
    Unless it can be disabled/removed/uninstalled
    Hope someone can figure this out. Regedit?

frybyte, Aug 31, 2015
  9. lynefahm Win User
    I found this from another user, it worked! I would rename (to say, ME and MECP) instead of delete, and if you ever want to reverse the changes, just rename it back to MicrosoftEdge and MicrosoftEdgeCP to what it was originally!

To do the things below, you need to edit the permissions first. Google 'how to access system apps folder in windows' and you'll see articles on how to edit the permission (so that you can change things yourself in the folder).

Navigate to the Windows Apps install location:
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\
    And right-click the Microsoft Edge folder, Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe, and select Properties, where you can set the folder and all its contents to Read-Only (make sure the checkbox shows a checkmark, not a square). This will prevent Windows from making changes to the folder.
    Then, you can open the folder and rename the Microsoft Edge executables (MicrosoftEdge.exeand MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe) and/or delete them. I would rename them.

Edge browser no longer works when you try to open it!

lynefahm, Oct 9, 2015
  10. I use CCleaner. After upgrading to Windows 10 this cleaner program was suddenly telling me that Edge was open and had to be closed before CCleaner could do its thing. (Such a thing never happened with Window 8.1.) I ALWAYS use Firefox -- I never use Explorer nor did I ever open Edge. So it looks like it was opening itself (can anyone confirm that it does this?). My solution was to open Norton Security and block Edge from accessing the Internet. This seems to have worked, but if anyone who knows computers better than I do can think of other ways (or can tell me that I'm fooling myself) to block Edge please let me (and others) know. Thanks.

Cincinnatus, Oct 26, 2015
  11. torre Win User
    Just subscribing to thread.

torre, Oct 27, 2015
  12. ksaldutti Win User
    It would seem we need to call the US Attorneys General office AGAIN to let them know that this EDGE browser is being forced on Windows 10 users with no way out as it runs in the background with no way turning off even while using others chosen browsers. This
    software is also collecting personal information and we have no way of stopping it or even scaling it. It back to court for Microsoft. WE ARE MAD and we by the millions.

ksaldutti, Feb 22, 2016
  13. How to remove/disable Windows Edge browser?

Here we are again
    Edge is here to stay
    Who told you it collected Personal Information
    I can tell you it does not
    All it does is keep a note of what sites you go on like google and IE11 does.

hTconeM9user, Feb 22, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    Heed the advice given by Brink.
    Use other browser as default, Unpin the Edge and ignore it.
    Out of sight, out of mind.
    That's the best one can do.

davidhk, Feb 22, 2016
  15. lnjr Win User
    I tried following these steps, but every time I tried to remove the square for that checkbox and add a checkmark I get a scree stating access is denied. The box states that I will need to provide adminstrator permission to change the attributes, I click continue and I get another popup stating an error occurred while applying attributes to this file: access denied. I just did the clean install of windows 10 on this pc yesterday and I don't like edge at all.

I was finally able to set chrome as the default web browser but still Edge opens when I type in the "search the web and windows" box at the bottom of the task bar anyway. This is very annoying as well

I had already removed / unpinned edge from the task bar but it still pops up.

Thema:

1. How to remove/disable Windows Edge browser? - Similar Threads - remove disable Edge

2. How to Remove Yahoo from Hijacking Edge Browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Yahoo from Hijacking Edge Browser: I see the above question frequently and want to share what worked for me. Somehow my kid installed something called "Wavebrowser." I went to Add/Remove and uninstalled Wavebrowser also immediately restarted Windows just in case it would help and the "Yahoo Hijacking Microsoft...
  3. How to Remove Yahoo from Hijacking Edge Browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Yahoo from Hijacking Edge Browser: I see the above question frequently and want to share what worked for me. Somehow my kid installed something called "Wavebrowser." I went to Add/Remove and uninstalled Wavebrowser also immediately restarted Windows just in case it would help and the "Yahoo Hijacking Microsoft...
  4. How to enable or disable Greeting on Edge browser in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Greeting on Edge browser in Windows 10: [IMG]When you open Microsoft Edge on your Windows 10 computer you’ll notice at the upper left part of the browser, depending on the time of the day, a Good morning/Good evening/Good night greeting with your name. This greeting quickly converts to the weather and temperature...
  5. How to remove the Edge Browser from Windows 10 Pro

in Browsers and Email
    How to remove the Edge Browser from Windows 10 Pro: I would like to remove Microsoft's Edge Browser form my computer. I have no use for it, I am hard core Firefox user and it seems every time I click on link in web page, it open in Edge. I have went and set Firefox as the preferred web browser and all. I just want that most...
  6. How to remove Duplicate Favorites in Microsoft Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    How to remove Duplicate Favorites in Microsoft Edge browser: [ATTACH]This tutorial will show you how to delete duplicate Favorites in Microsoft Edge browser. […] This article How to remove Duplicate Favorites in Microsoft Edge browser first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. How to disable Edge or permanently remove it.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable Edge or permanently remove it.: Hello. The new Edge was installed on my machine. I didn't ask for it. I don't want it. It even did put an icon on my taskbart. I consider that very obtrusive. MS has put some great effort to discourage this, which only fuels my desire to get rid of it. What's the best way...
  8. Remove/Disable Edge Browser

in Cortana
    Remove/Disable Edge Browser: Please click following link to know the steps to Disable/Remove Edge Browser. Remove Edge_Click Here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removedisable-edge-browser/0200f164-fa1b-4c43-b359-044d85b00ede"
  9. How do I totally disable Edge browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I totally disable Edge browser?: I thought I had disabled this browser when I setup my new Windows 10 OS upgrade. But every time I use Ccleaner I get a message that it is running and do I want to close it. So how can I get rid of this problem? 44609
  10. How to remove all favorites from Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    How to remove all favorites from Edge Browser: So I decided to give Edge another try, and seeing that I am still unable to directly import my favorites from Firefox I went around it by exporting them to a HTML file, importing them into IE and then into Edge. Well only half of them ended up appearing in edge and I now...