Windows 10: How to remove folders from File History

Discus and support How to remove folders from File History in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Running out of space on my external drive where I keep File History. So I want to delete a very large folder (Pictures) from History since I have it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ALN, Aug 6, 2016.

1. ALN
    ALN Win User

How to remove folders from File History

Running out of space on my external drive where I keep File History. So I want to delete a very large folder (Pictures) from History since I have it backed up another way. I removed the folder from File History Backup Options (Settings>Update & Security>Backup>More Options>Backup these folders), and then ran File Cleanup (Control Panel>File History>Advanced Settings>Clean up versions).

As I understand it, that should remove all versions older than the selected time frame AND all folders no longer in the noted in the File History Backup Options (where I removed my Pictures folder). But the Pictures Folder is still in File History.

What is the best/easiest way to delete it from File History?

:)

2. Unable to remove folders from File History backups

Yes, the culture is **** there now. I live in Redmond and used to work there (Amazon now) and they have destroyed the company from within. I know several people that have gone running from there to Amazon because of their ridiculous culture. QA is dead.
    They have no testers anymore. Devs are responsible for testing now - brilliant idea right?! PMs are gone as well. So devs get to create the requirements, develop the product and then test their own code! Perfect! What could possible go wrong there??

There's a reason why no complains about Amazon, because their #1 leadership principle is 'Customer Obsession' which is observed throughout their experience. Where do you see that these days with MS? Aside from the Xbox division (finally back on track there)
    and a few other spots, you don't really see this any more. This is a major, important feature of the OS (data backup!!!!!!!!) and it's been broken for a year and they just don't care. Sad.

WesMcDaniel, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Unable to remove folders from File History backups

I have revisited this issue, having abandoned File History for Windows 7 Backup some time ago. It seems like my original issue with File History has been fixed.

Steps I took:

• Switch off File History in Metro Control Panel
    • Click "More options"
    • Click "Stop using this drive" (Control Panel shuts down at this point)
    • Delete all files on backup drive
    • Click "Add a drive" in File History in Metro Control Panel and choose your backup drive
    • Turn off File History
    • Click "More options"
    • Remove all folders that aren't Libraries (one by one - tedious). Typically this will be everything except Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Camera Roll and Saved Pictures
    • Click the back arrow
    • Enable File History
    • Click "More options"
    • Click "Back up now"

File History will get busy backing up at this point, and "More options" will not load. However once the the backup has completed, "More options" will load, and all the non-library folders will not be re-added. Success!

Similar instructions were posted previously but they did not resolve the issue for me at the time. However, they do now, so it must have been updated.

I have found one important remaining issue: if all folders are removed from the backup, the libraries will be automatically re-added. This in itself is not an issue. What is an issue is that when the folders are automatically re-added, incremental backups
    are disabled and every time a backup is run, a full copy of every library will be made and the backup drive space will be exhausted very quickly. This (new) issue needs to be fixed.

Donny Murgatroyd, Aug 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 6, 2016
  5. ALN
    ALN Win User
    Thanks Brink for the quick reply! I had no problem removing the folder from the list of items to be backed up in the the Backup Settings. However, the folder was already backed up and now resides in the backup files on my external drive - that is where I am trying to delete them.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 6, 2016
  7. ALN
    ALN Win User
    OK, I did that, but the Pictures folder is still in the backup on the external drive. First, I deleted the Pictures folder from the list of folders to be backed up, and then did a manual backup, and then did the File History Cleanup and selected "delete all but the latest one." Pictures folder was still there in the back up. I then checked the list of folders to be backed up, and noticed that the Pictures folder was included again - even thought I deleted it prior to the manual backup. I then deleted it again, closed Settings and re-opened Settings and, sure enough, the Pictures folder re-appeared in the list of folders to be backed up. Seems like Windows will not let me delete it from the list, even though it appears to do so. So next, I added the Pictures folder to the Exclude list and did the manual backup/History Clean up routine - same results: still have the folder in my back up. Any other ideas?

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 7, 2016
    • I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Aug 7, 2016
  9. ALN
    ALN Win User
    That does not work. Even though I do the delete from the "Back up these folders" from the list, it still backs it up - and when I close out of Settings and then go back in, the folder re-appears in the list.

However, Mila's suggestion worked. Is it possible that folders in my Library cannot be removed from the "Back up these folders" list?

10. ALN
    ALN Win User
    That did it - Thank you Mila!

Thema:

1. How to remove folders from File History - Similar Threads - remove folders File

2. How to remove 'Gallery' folder from File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove 'Gallery' folder from File Explorer?: I just don't want to use Gallery in Windows 11, so I run the below batch file, as administrator: RemoveGalleryFromNavigationPaneInFileExplorer.bat reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{e88865ea-0e1c-4e20-9aa6-edcd0212c87c} /f /v "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree" /t...
  3. How to remove 'Gallery' folder from File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove 'Gallery' folder from File Explorer?: I just don't want to use Gallery in Windows 11, so I run the below batch file, as administrator: RemoveGalleryFromNavigationPaneInFileExplorer.bat reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{e88865ea-0e1c-4e20-9aa6-edcd0212c87c} /f /v "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree" /t...
  4. File history folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  5. File history folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  6. File History: how do I remove all tracked folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History: how do I remove all tracked folders?: Does someone use File History? By default File History is tracking a lot of folders and I find it really annoying to remove them one-by-one. Is there any way to remove them all? Only desktop content is critical for me, so I don't see why should be there anything else. BTW,...
  7. Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive: Hello anyone, When I activated File History I left the Videos folder, which contains my movies and series, in theBack up these folders list. That filled up my 1 TB backup drive quickly, so I removed that folder from the list. Now how do I remove excluded folders from my...
  8. Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders: Hi. I just noticed on my small 32GB netbook that a folder on the desktop has the blue arrows on it signifying that Windows 10 has compressed the folder and its contents on its own I guess because I don't have a lot of space left on the netbook. I found this tutorial and...
  9. File History to be removed?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History to be removed?: I've done a quick search on the forum and can't find any reference to this topic. I used File History today and discovered that there were no entries beyond 5 November, which happens to be the day that I was upgraded to the Fall Creators update. A bit of googling revealed...
  10. Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Folders to be Backed Up by File History in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back...