Windows 10: How to remove group dividers in Start menu?

Discus and support How to remove group dividers in Start menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can't really find any info on this. Is it possible to not have group dividers when reorganizing tiles? Every time I try a different setup, a bar pops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pivlit2, Apr 24, 2016.

1. pivlit2 Win User

How to remove group dividers in Start menu?

Can't really find any info on this. Is it possible to not have group dividers when reorganizing tiles? Every time I try a different setup, a bar pops up and spaces my tiles differently than what I want.

:)

pivlit2, Apr 24, 2016

2. app icons

thanks. I had to drag the icon to the side or above a divider line to remove it from the group.

cheyennedax, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Group divider on top of start menu

That is a good idea, however, that "divider" is a title bar that users can customize to be able to organize the Start menu tiles. This means it is there by design and cannot be removed or disabled.

We have taken note of the unique link. Rest assured that our software engineers will be looking into this.

Patricia Yu, Apr 24, 2016
  4. How to remove group dividers in Start menu?

Stardock's Start10 sees the new Modern style menu with or without the tile section entirely unless you want to see the old 7 style Start menu in use! For the $4.99 tag to set up the customer account and receive regular updates I think was a fast and easy way to rid the desktops and a few VMs not all but a few of the Metro tiles entirely!

By right clicking to resize choosing "Small" for each tile and stacking them up in single file you can narrow the new menu a bit as well as keep several together in each group. But dragging each almost on top of the previous tends to keep them together for a certain number like a having a dozen in pairs side by side stacking each pair under the previous to save space but still ends up seeing several categories unless you limit how many items are pinned by unpinning items you never use to start with!

How to remove group dividers in Start menu? [​IMG]

That was how I did it before getting Start10 on!

Night Hawk, Apr 24, 2016
  5. It's annoying. If you move the tile closer to the one you want it next to, even overlap the tiles, it should disappear. It needs improvement to say the least.

alphanumeric, Apr 24, 2016
  6. ANNOYING IT IS! There isn't any question about that. But! All this is geared much to resemble the RT effect of Metro and touchscreen access combined with the more normal looking Start menu. This is why it was worth going with Start10 to get the new look for the Start menu without the Metro Bloat! Stardock generally has been doing great work on their apps anyways while the three style option works.

The screens show to resize the tiles when not having Start10 or Classic Shell in use or Start 8 even but want to save on desktop space by shrinking and resizing as much as you can to narrow the tile section down even to single verticle row of tiles. Unpinning anything unused always helps as well.

Night Hawk, Apr 25, 2016
  7. caperjack Win User
    when the thick bar pops up just move the icon back over top of it and drop it ,if that what bar you are talking about ,I usually don't use my start ,so I'm not sure if this is what bar you mean.
    I'm only on a 10.1screen so cant show 2 long rows of 2 small icons

caperjack, Apr 25, 2016
  8. How to remove group dividers in Start menu?

That still doesn't reduce the screen space taken up until you resize each tile down to the small size at least with most and stack them vertically even with some dividers in order to narrow the tile section down. By narrowing the tile area you free up more central space on the desktop for viewing to begin with. But even that now has a problem!

With the First Anniversary General Release Redstone 1 build coming up in July the Start menu recently saw a major overhaul where you can no longer shrink it down sideways in order to free up that extra unused space still being taken up once the tiles are all shrunk down in size or simply unpinned. That same amount of blank unused space is to remain a reserved space like it or not meaning the Start10 3rd party option continues to look even better!

Night Hawk, Apr 26, 2016
  9. caperjack Win User
    for me its all good the way it looks and works, like I said in my first I use it very little ,so I don't see the start as an issue

caperjack, Apr 26, 2016
  10. i simply do not care for the Metro touchscreen orientated tiles from the get go with 8 and then with a new Start menu being brought back still look and feel like 8 with Metro in you face all the time! This is why all but one or two VMs which includes the latest those also see Start10 in use with the rest of the initial 10 Start that is.

Night Hawk, Apr 26, 2016
  11. I only see my Start Screen maybe once or twice a day. The stuff I use every day is pinned to my taskbar and I boot to desktop. My occasional use stuff is pinned to my Start Screen. I have no interest in ever using a Start Menu again. I have nothing against those that do, it's just not what I want.

alphanumeric, Apr 26, 2016
  12. Well often you have to get in there in order to access things in order to see them pinned! If you knock something off of the taskbar and need to replace it or put on a new program you have to browse the link or menu option for the Start menu in order to right click and pin something. Or you manually browse to the program's folder for any 3rd party item.

For a few things like the Control Panel and replacing File Explorer(formerly Windows Explorer) there are two sources one being browsing the Windows directory and the second being the Windows Accessories until 10's latest build now seen where you now go into the Windows System folder.

Generally speaking however I have three Quick Launch type tool bars along with the pinned items as well as the task bar enabled on the second display as well as the RocketDock toolbar at the bottom of the second I have presently on the disabled list from turned task bars vertical to act as enlarged Quick bars! I still need to go into Settings and other things you will only find on the 10 Start menu or one of the 3rd party app type menu options since MS has moved things out of the Control Panel and msconfig utility entirely.

Night Hawk, Apr 26, 2016
  13. How to remove group dividers in Start menu?

I just right click the Start Button, for quick access to system tools like control panel, file explorer.

14. I have most of that either pinned or in the System Quick Bar there as well as having a repeat for explorer and any browsers in order to be able to open multiples since the taskbar pinned item is always taken on the first shot when you may need a second window open.

One thing MS did lately was now see the option to replace the Command prompt with the Windows PowerShell in the Start button's right click menu. Rather then that you would otherwise see it pinned to the Start itself. Otherwise open run and then type cmd.exe and then right click to get the admin permission going?

That can pinned as well but first a need for the short cut to see that made elevated for the extra step and soon you run out of space on the taskbar for pinned items you want in view. Clicking the small arrows for things that go beyond brings you back to another Start menu only in a different place as an extended jump list. There can be a downside there too.

Night Hawk, Apr 26, 2016
  15. I have 8 things pinned to my taskbar, and 30 or so Tiles on my Start Screen. Anything else I just use search. If you hold the shift key down, and launch a program from your taskbar, it will open a second instance. Or third instance etc.

Thema:

How to remove group dividers in Start menu?

1. How to remove group dividers in Start menu? - Similar Threads - remove group dividers

2. How to remove Name Group fields from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove Name Group fields from Start Menu: I recently decided to expand the number of columns in my start menu from the default four, but when moving tiles to the new blank right side, I find that there are fields that block the tiles from being exactly where I want to place them. When I click on these fields, the...
  3. Start Menu Groups

Start Menu Groups: I want to change the squares that are included in the groups on my start menu, but it says they are locked. How do I unlock them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-groups/43f34af2-1a68-40ea-ad4c-82f2256d3e21
  4. Is it possible to remove the "Name Group" bar in Start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to remove the "Name Group" bar in Start menu?: The gap is kinda ugly. Anyone can help me with this? https://i.imgur.com/WEnN2Ds.png submitted by /u/yuze_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0iqvy/is_it_possible_to_remove_the_name_group_bar_in/
  5. Remove all groups from start menu

Remove all groups from start menu: I have limited space on my start menu and would like to take up all of it with icons. I do not need nor want to group the icons and create blank space between them. I want to use that space. But it seems impossible to have no groups or just one. Whenever I try to get all the...
  6. More Groups on Start Menu

More Groups on Start Menu: I know how to add and remove things from the Start menu but is it possible to add more Groups? I can only see 4, which can be renamed, but I'd like a few more in order to organise my icons. 23789
  7. How Delete a Group From Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How Delete a Group From Start Menu: I somehow created a Group in the Start Menu and now I want to get rid of it. It is located at the top of the Start Menu. [img] How can it be deleted? Rt-Clicking it doesn't bring up anything. 82935
  8. How apps are grouped under the Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How apps are grouped under the Start menu: Noticed in Windows 10 that when I install different products from the same developer they all end up under the "root" developer folder rather than in sub-groups lacking a better word for it but hope you still understand what I mean. I have lots of airport scenery products...
  9. Defining groups in the Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Defining groups in the Start menu: In W8.1 it was possible to define groups of tiles with titles for each group on the start screen. Has anybody figured ot how to do that in the W10 start menu. 5276
  10. Group names on start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Group names on start menu: Is there a setting to remove "group names" and grouping on the start menu. To the right of the group name input box there is a "2 slice" hamburger that does not do anything except invite naming of the group. I would prefer to have free alignment if that is possible. 53954

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to add dividers to start menu

2. Remove group dividers in start