Windows 10: How to remove Optional Features (text-speech, speech rec., etc)?

Discus and support How to remove Optional Features (text-speech, speech rec., etc)? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I've just installed 1607 on a few of my machines (clean installs) and am now tweaking and cleaning up unnecessary features. All is well,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mingle, Aug 11, 2016.

1. mingle Win User

How to remove Optional Features (text-speech, speech rec., etc)?

Hi Guys,

I've just installed 1607 on a few of my machines (clean installs) and am now tweaking and cleaning up unnecessary features.

All is well, apart from a few "Optional features" that don't seem to have an 'Uninstall' option, namely a bunch of text-to-speech, speech recognition and character recognition. (see attached scree-shot)

Each of the options shown have a "Manage" button, but this doesn't seem to lead to any way to removed this stuff.

I'm also a bit puzzled as to why it has three different English versions (AU, GB and US) - my region is set to Australia.

It's only around 250MB, but it's space I could better use for other things.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas of how to remove these items.

Cheers,

Mike.

:)

mingle, Aug 11, 2016

2. Big problem with managing optional features! Can't remove any optional features!

Hi, I have also an issue with the answer provided by Microsoft and the title "Optional Features" --> How can it be both "optional" and forced "by design"?

I will never use "optical character recognition", "handwriting", "text-to-speech" or "speech recognition", so I would just like to remove entirely these features, hoping to relieve my computer from these probably CPU-demanding tasks.

Pierre SOUBOUROU, Aug 11, 2016
  3. AJ E 2555 Win User
    Any Speech to Text App for Windows Phone 7

yes there is, at the bottom of your focus hold the windows flag for a couple of seconds and say a command like "send text" or "call", it is a really cool option, now I am looking for text to speech, if it is there I have not found it yet

AJ E 2555, Aug 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

If you click a language underneath each option, you will see a further set of options. One is remove (that language).

But please note:
    In order to search settings you must have a language set consistent with your display language, else you get 'Search results aren't quite ready yet...'.

So that's as much as you can do - remove langauges.

Bear in mind that as soon as you start removing anything supplied as default in Win 10, it will be replaced if
    - you receive a major upgrade
    - reinstall
    - do an in-place upgrade repair install.

Best not to fiddle unnecessarily.. you can get bitten.

dalchina, Aug 11, 2016
  5. mingle Win User
    Hi,

After clicking on the "Manage" button, I end up on the "Region/Language" page of settings.

But it's only showing a single language "English (Australia)". I'm a bit stumped as to where all this stuff has come from, as I have never selected GB or US for any language options during the install...

Cheers,

Mike.

mingle, Aug 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    If that screen (your last post) only shows 1 you only have one installed. (However it is possible to add other optional languages for speech etc)

I think the way the Option Features screen works is that if sthg there is installed if you click it you will find a way to remove it. Otherwise you get a Manage button which takes you to where you might add it.
    Try clicking one you don't believe you have and then Manage.

I had one app listed there (not a language feature) and I could uninstall it.

Was your OS supplied as Australian, or was Australian added later and others removed? That could be the underlying reason for hte list of optional features.

I had to change mine to UK English.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove Optional Features (text-speech, speech rec., etc)? - Similar Threads - remove Optional Features

2. Text to Speech

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text to Speech: Several years ago the text-to-speech functionality inexplicably switched from what was clearly a synthesized voice to a more natural sounding one. It took me a while to get used to it, but I liked it. All of a sudden, in the middle of having the computer read back some text...
  3. Text to Speech

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Text to Speech: Several years ago the text-to-speech functionality inexplicably switched from what was clearly a synthesized voice to a more natural sounding one. It took me a while to get used to it, but I liked it. All of a sudden, in the middle of having the computer read back some text...
  4. Speech to text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech to text: Hello!In the past when i press the windows button and the letter h, speech to text will normally work. Now it is no longer working.Can you assist? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speech-to-text/5c51e32e-5082-43dc-8a32-5ce5835cf0b9
  5. Speech to Text

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Speech to Text: In an online lecture and wanna take notes without having to type. I know with macs you can double tap the FN key to activate a speech to text thing that will take whatever a prof is saying and write it down in a word doc. How tf do I do this on windows? submitted by...
  6. text to speech

in Windows 10 Customization
    text to speech: I am trying to locate other united states female voices to add but can't locate them. Please help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-to-speech/99702a97-6694-4e10-a2b4-614a713ce8db
  7. Speech To Text

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Speech To Text: I'm looking for a free user-friendly speech to text download for Windows 10 email and Word. I'v tried the STT with the black microphone logo, which I believe is the Windows STT, and couldn't get it to work. Please set me in the right direction. Thank you. *** Email address...
  8. speech to text

in Windows 10 Customization
    speech to text: speech to text stopped working, no mic icon at top of page, and black dialog box not visible. How to fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speech-to-text/4abd14cb-e95b-41f7-bea8-382fca7f99ad
  9. Text to Speech

Text to Speech: Text to Speech identifies the acronyms incorrectly: Example: NM is spoken 'nanometer'. Reading Aviation material the NM is 'nautical mile' and VOR is not 'voor', it is V.O.R. There are more. I would like to modify TEXT to SPEECH speech file or dictionary relative to what...
  10. Text-to-speech?

Text-to-speech?: Hello, just installed Win10 Pro 64 on my laptop and was wondering if they built in a Text-to-speech app? Like something you can copy-paste text in? -thanks! 10395