Windows 10: How to remove PADLOCK in Disc Cleanup..Temporary Internet Files.

Discus and support How to remove PADLOCK in Disc Cleanup..Temporary Internet Files. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello to you. This is my first time ever on a forum because I usually just Google any computer problems I have but this Padlock issue is not so easy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NannaBarb, Apr 3, 2018.

1. NannaBarb Win User

How to remove PADLOCK in Disc Cleanup..Temporary Internet Files.

Hello to you.
    This is my first time ever on a forum because I usually just Google any computer problems I have but this Padlock issue is not so easy to solve. Hoping someone can help?

I have the same problem that another person was asking this forum back in Dec 2016 but I do not see a solution... here is my problem...
    In Windows 10, when I do a Disk Cleanup. The scan results menu shows a PADLOCK at the Temporary Internet Files. I need to know how to get rid of the Padlock ? So I can complete the clean up, Please.

On my Acer /Aspire desk top, it shows the files size under 500 KB but my husband's HP Lap Top has close to 3 GIG of Temporary Internet Files. I downloaded CCleaner on the HP lap top but the Padlock is still there and the TIF files are still there.

Thank you....

How to remove PADLOCK in Disc Cleanup..Temporary Internet Files. [​IMG]

:)

NannaBarb, Apr 3, 2018
  2. 4073091 Win User

Temporary internet files

how do I remove the padlock on my temporary internet files in Disk Cleanup. Microsoft had me do a restore point yesterday, but it did not remove the padlock and I still cannot delete the temporary internet files in Disk Cleanup or through internet options
    in the Control Panel.

Thanks for any help. Very frustrating since I just bought this computer less than four months ago.

***Moved from: [Microsoft Edge / All other issues / Windows 10]***

4073091, Apr 3, 2018
  3. disk cleanup in windows 10

How can I unlock the padlock on temporary internet files in Windows 10 disk cleanup? I have 1.65GB in there now and it keeps growing.

DonaldLayburn, Apr 3, 2018
  4. shimshom Win User

shimshom, Apr 3, 2018
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    The Padlock icon for Temporary Internet Files is the default icon , you can't remove it.

Not sure why it's not cleaning things up (so can't help you there) ... couple of options tho ...
    1. Try the Extended Cleanup (Option 2) - Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    2. Use Ccleaner to clean things up

Eagle51, Apr 3, 2018
  6. NannaBarb Win User
    Thank you shim shom... I have now added "Take ownership" thing to the menu when I right click on it.

Thank you Eagle 51. You said the padlock is the Icon ?? It cannot be removed? Makes sense to me now.

I have been searching for a month trying to find a way to untick something to make the padlock go away! *Redface

Thank you so much for your help...... *Smile

....Eagle 51 ... I will attempt to do the other things you suggest as well thank you.

sorry about the multiple edits to this post *Confused*Confused

NannaBarb, Apr 3, 2018
  7. NannaBarb Win User
    Hello Bree and thank you for your reply.
    I remember reading this about ghost files on the forum here. I will look at the work around you suggest, if its not too technical I will give that a go.....

I have just done another disc clean of hubbys lap top. Strange to see the Temporary Files increase from 4.40 MB to 4.41 (windows disc clean) then 4.42 after I did a Cclean. So I don't know what is going on there *Huh

The TIF stayed at 1.98 GB.

again thank you for your reply.

NannaBarb, Apr 4, 2018
  8. NannaBarb Win User

Hello again, last week I ticked this as Solved because I was helped/informed that the Padlock is the Icon for Temporary Internet Files.... A light bulb went on!

but I still have the problem where the TIF are not getting cleared away when I do a Disc Cleanup. **please see the screen dump of husbands HP LapTop disk clean showing nearly 2 GB! AFTER a disc clean.
    I have used CCleaner as well but this does not clear the files away.
    My Windows 10 has the same issue (5 KB of TIF and 5.64 MB of Temporary Files remaining after a Disc Cleanup) but husbands HP laptop is my main concern...considering he only uses his computer for facebook and YouTube. In fact I had to download a program for me to do the screen dump to show here. He does not have anything to do with Documents. Pictures. Email. etcHave looked at 4 other 'Related Threads' on this forum that ask about the same issue as I do. I did not see any answer to the problem back in 2016 except for a link to a cleaner that I don't intend clicking on.
    I use Google Chrome browser. He uses Microsoft Edge.Thank you so much in advance for any help.... Heading out for Drs appointment today so forgive me if I don't respond straight away *Smile

How to remove PADLOCK in Disc Cleanup..Temporary Internet Files. [​IMG]

NannaBarb, Apr 9, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    There appears to be a long-standing bug in the way Disk Clean-up calculates the size of the Temporary Internet Files. The size it says is not correct, it over-estimates the size and after cleaning there is a residue of apparent files it hasn't removed - as far as I can tell they do not really exist! This discrepancy builds up over time. Mine currently shows 216MB of these 'ghost' files. There is a known workaround that resets this to zero, but it will creep up again over time. See this thread for how to reset it...

Disk Cleanup showing 2.9GB Temporary Internet Files

...I've given up resetting mine and just ignore it now.

Bree, Apr 9, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove PADLOCK in Disc Cleanup..Temporary Internet Files. - Similar Threads - remove PADLOCK Disc

2. Disc Cleanup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disc Cleanup: Doing disc cleanup on a win 10, should I check all the boxes?? How often should I be doing this clean up? And how often should I do the Sys files clean up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-cleanup/957b6a3d-f2fe-461d-90ba-1a564510eaa6
  3. How do I get rid of the padlock on Temporary Internet files when I use Disc Clean up in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I get rid of the padlock on Temporary Internet files when I use Disc Clean up in...: I get a padlock on the Temporary Internet files when I use Disc Clean up . Is there a way to remove that padlock so that all the files are deleted when I do a clean up ?...
  4. disc cleanup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    disc cleanup: what items may I check on disc cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-cleanup/bc16ea55-a09e-4e15-afbd-4016035aa052"
  5. Temporary internet files has padlock, can not delate

in Browsers and Email
    Temporary internet files has padlock, can not delate: Hi all I have spent hours trying to solve this problem, when doing a disc clean up my temporary internet files stay at 648kb with padlock...and temporary files 3.09kb . I noticed this about a week ago, i have had this Dell desktop for about five years and Mcfee two years, i...
  6. Disk Cleanup issue with Temporary Internet Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup issue with Temporary Internet Files: Hi All Temporary Internet files show data in the folder according to disk cleanup, so far ran ccleaner, then ran diskcleanup again a week later, and seems like more data in that folder on my SSD, and i'm like what the heck, I cleared the temp folder manually, clear...
  7. Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup

Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup: Hi all. I have had 175mb of Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup for what seems like a few months now which will not seem to go following the routine disk cleanup action. I waited until the next major CU came and went which happened last night but it still says 175mb of...
  8. Disk Cleanup showing 2.9GB Temporary Internet Files

Disk Cleanup showing 2.9GB Temporary Internet Files: Disk Cleanup is showing 2.92GB temporary Internet files that I cannot even find. [img] When I click on View files I am taken here: [img] One 0KB file and a folder. The folder contents are: [img] I am having a hard time understanding why 281KB of files...
  9. Disk cleanup: cannot delete temporary internet files

Disk cleanup: cannot delete temporary internet files: Disk clean-up shows 500MB of temporary internet files. I check the box to delete the temporary internet files, but it keeps showing 500MB, even after several trials and restarts. This happens on my PC, and also on 1 laptop. However on another laptop I have, the temporary...
  10. Disc cleanup

Disc cleanup: Disc cleanup>system files does not clean up Windows Update Cleanup.The green bar seems to crawl to a halt about midway and stay there even after a reboot. >I have to edit as I waited it out and finally it deleted all the files. 103832

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disc cleanup temporary internet files

2. how to unlock temporary files in windows 10

3. disk cleanup unlock temporary internet files

4. disk cleanup wont delete temp internet,
  5. unlock temp internet files for disk cleanup,
  6. disk clean up temporary internet files,
  7. how to unlock tempory files for disk clean up,
  8. remove lock on temp files disk clean up?windows 10 edge ,
  9. remove temporary internet files from disk cleanup,
  10. why are temporary internet files locked in my disc clean up app?,
  11. remove lock from disk clean up in windows 10 edge?????,