Windows 10: How to remove the "send a smile/frown" on internet explorer 11

Discus and support How to remove the "send a smile/frown" on internet explorer 11 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; that smiley icon is a bit of annoying. 9420 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by maxr187, Jul 28, 2015.

1. maxr187 Win User

How to remove the "send a smile/frown" on internet explorer 11

that smiley icon is a bit of annoying.

:)

maxr187, Jul 28, 2015
  2. John Ado Win User

Office 365 icons will not display on webpage

Interesting. Roberto, let's report this issue using the feedback button in Internet Explorer. Click the
    Smile icon and select Send a frown so it gets to the concerned team.

All the best.

John Ado, Jul 28, 2015
  3. JamesGea Win User
    How do I get rid of this smiley face? Picture included.

While this may be ok for home machines, this is not an acceptable answer for corporations.

Many corporations rely on IE because other browsers (including Edge) have their own series of problems I won't get into here. Just "switching browsers" in not easy in the corporate world.

This feature in a corporate environment is a security problem.

Putting on my dumb corporate user hat on here.

The send a frown in particular allows the end user to send no only their email address and the URL (internal or external) but offers the option of attaching a screenshot of the web page. This screenshot could contain PII or other sensitive information that
    should not leave the corporate network.

Also it isn't obvious to the end user if this info is going to the company IT department or Microsoft.

Microsoft needs to have a supported way to remove this in IE 11 on windows 10.

JamesGea, Jul 28, 2015
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Yeah, me too, I thought I was the only one. I keep going for the wrong icon out of habit. *Mad

ARC1020, Jul 28, 2015
  5. maxr187 Win User
    I hope someone knows how to remove it

maxr187, Jul 28, 2015
  6. I’ve found a small solution to hide the smiley icon. It doesn’t disable the button, it only renders the icon invisible.
    This is what I did:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and find ieframe.dll
    • Take ownership and give administrators full control
    • Copy the file to a location easy to find for you and rename the original in C:\Windows\System32 to keep it as a backup
    • Open the copied one with Resource Hacker and unfold Bitmap
    • The first 6 entries are the ones you need. For each:

How to remove the "send a smile/frown" on internet explorer 11 [​IMG]
    • Right click the entry and select Save *.bmp resource
    • Edit the BMP file (NOTE: The BMP files are 32bit. Most editors can only save up to 24bit BMP files. So get an editor who support 32 bit BMP files or just download dacrone's edited BMP files)
    • In resource hacker right click the entry again and select Replace Bitmap
    • Save the file and copy it back to C:\Windows\System32
    • Open Internet Explorer and enjoy the invisible smiley
    If you still see the smiley icon repeat the same process on C:\Windows\Syswow64

StevenSeegal, Sep 19, 2015
  7. maxr187 Win User
    THANKS! Im gonna try this

maxr187, Sep 20, 2015
  8. How to remove the "send a smile/frown" on internet explorer 11

Yes indeed. Thank-you Mr. Seegal for posting a reference to this thread over in the Microsoft forum. If you were to post this solution there, they'd sabotage your P.C.. (Remember, with Win10, Microsoft knows more about you than your own Mother.)

It's nuts that Microsoft has added a "Like" / "Dislike" emoticon to Internet Explorer 11, when IE-11 is in the process of being phased out, in favor of Edge. Must have been some internal pet project that got approved late.

AllenChicago, Sep 21, 2015
  9. dacrone Win User

dacrone, Oct 1, 2015
  10. Ah thanks. Didn't test it with aeroglass. Is it okay to put your edited files in my post so everyone can get the better ones?

I did receive several updates on Windows 10 which enabled the icon again. Guess the update wrote a new ieframe.dll so i had to repeat the steps again to have a smiley-less browser.

StevenSeegal, Oct 15, 2015
  11. dacrone Win User
    No problem at all... It's your work not mine. I only tweaked it for my setup but wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't posted it!

dacrone, Oct 15, 2015
  12. Cheers

StevenSeegal, Oct 16, 2015
  13. bobjoe Win User

Unbelievable that Mickeysoft decided to include this garbage on IE11 on the final version of Windows 10. What a joke. Honestly.

Whoever at Microsoft thought this "cute" button would be a good idea should be fired.

bobjoe, Dec 12, 2015
  14. I’ve found a small solution to hide the smiley icon. It doesn’t disable the button, it only renders the icon invisible.
    This is what I did:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and find ieframe.dll
    • Take ownership and give administrators full control
    • ...snip...
    • Save the file and copy it back to C:\Windows\System32

So, the question is how to take "control" - I seem to still be getting permission denied errors when copying the file back to c:\Windows\System32?

Okay so it seems that after taking ownership and giving adminstrators control, I got further - I had to also explicitly set the file permission. It did let me copy my modified .dll over the ieframe.dll, but now IE does not start up! Luckily I am running this in a VM so can revert to an earlier snapshot, but there does seem to be some fundamental step that I am missing!

GerhardusVanG, Dec 16, 2015
  15. Edwin New Member
    Disable Feedback/'Smiley' on Internet Explorer Toolbar:

In the Windows Registry, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft
    create a new sub-key under Microsoft and name it Internet Explorer
    create a new sub-key under Internet Explorer and name it Restrictions

now the full path should be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

now select Restrictions and move to the right side pane and create a new DWORD, name it NoHelpItemSendFeedback and give it a value of 1

How to remove the "send a smile/frown" on internet explorer 11 [​IMG]

To re-enable the 'button', change the DWORD value to 0 or delete the entire parent key you created.

Edit: Props to Vishal Gupta and his team:

[Windows 10 Tip] Registry Tweak to Disable (Smiley) Button in Internet Explorer Toolbar - AskVG

Edwin, May 28, 2016
Thema:

1. How to remove the "send a smile/frown" on internet explorer 11 - Similar Threads - remove send smile

2. Remove Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 11?: Axiomatic Colleagues of Mine: Internet Explorer is definitively dead in Windows 11. However, the browser folders are still there. I clicked on the exe file that used to start IE up until version 11. The action always starts the default browser. Meanwhile, the Edge browser...
  3. Remove Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 11?: Axiomatic Colleagues of Mine: Internet Explorer is definitively dead in Windows 11. However, the browser folders are still there. I clicked on the exe file that used to start IE up until version 11. The action always starts the default browser. Meanwhile, the Edge browser...
  4. Safe to remove Internet Explorer?

in Browsers and Email
    Safe to remove Internet Explorer?: I haven't used IE for a long time, I've used Edge and now the Chromium Edge and Firefox. Is it safe to remove IE? 163705
  5. Internet explorer 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internet explorer 11: Internet explorer is not installed on my devices and icloud will only sync bookmark etc. with this and not the edge browser. Where can I find this download. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-11/3fd9abe4-4ce3-42e3-9e63-85a391e39ab9
  6. Internet Explorer 11

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Explorer 11: I uninstalled IE 11 after it ceased being accessible from my Windows10 laptop. I was not able to reinstall using any method. Is there a fix for this? Scotty...
  7. "New tab" in Internet Explorer 11 - How to remove icon on tab

in Browsers and Email
    "New tab" in Internet Explorer 11 - How to remove icon on tab: Is there any way to remove the icon from the "New tab" tab...? It was apparently added to IE 11 with the Windows 10 Pro Creators Update (1703/15063.138). The plain tab was just fine... 81949
  8. get rid of MS Office 2016 send a smile

in Microsoft Office and 365
    get rid of MS Office 2016 send a smile: Just recently MS Office 2016 includes a "send a smile" yellow symbol at the top right of the bar and I really want to get rid of it at the whole Office suit. I could not find a solution at other forums. 52510
  9. hiding send a smile in Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    hiding send a smile in Office 2016: I cannot delete "send a smile" icon (yellow top right smile) at Office 2016 I was referred to delete at the registry at the folder 15.0 of Office but I do not have that registry folder. I do have 16.0. And at the 16.0 folder I do not have "Feedback" 53844
  10. Remove Internet Explorer Send Feedback Smiley Button

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Internet Explorer Send Feedback Smiley Button: How to: Remove Internet Explorer Send Feedback Smiley Button How to Add or Remove Internet Explorer Send Feedback Smiley Button in Windows 10 [img] Information Internet Explorer (IE11) in Windows 10 includes a Send Feedback smiley button on the toolbar that can be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internet explorer send a smile icon remove

2. remove send a smile 11

3. send a smile and send a frown message at screen edge error