Windows 10: How to remove un-needed system folders

Discus and support How to remove un-needed system folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] Windows is necessarily giving some folders as System Folders. Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Video ok, Desktop is necessary and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vsrawat, Apr 25, 2016.

1. vsrawat Win User

How to remove un-needed system folders

How to remove un-needed system folders [​IMG]

Windows is necessarily giving some folders as System Folders.
    Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Video

ok, Desktop is necessary and convenient for quick access.

I don't want any of the others above.

Actually, there were several other folders and links appears, I have removed remaining wherever it presented delete option in right click menu.

Properties of these folders say "Read Only (for the files inside)", I tried to remove read only attribute, but it didn't go away, and I was unable to delete them.

So how to remove these un-needed system folders
    or at least how to hide it so that they don't appear in windows explorer window above my hdds partitions list.

Why do wise guys at MS think that every net user is definitely into Music, Pictures, Video, Games? Seems we users have earned a bad reputation in MS guys' minds.

Hope removing them will not mess up windows 10 installation, because I never use these folders.

--
    Rawat

:)

vsrawat, Apr 25, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

Windows tells me I don't have enough space to download updates.

How big is your disk?

Go Disk Management.

If there is un-allocated space on the disk move other partitions so the un-allocated space is just behind the (CHow to remove un-needed system folders :) partition. then extend the (CHow to remove un-needed system folders :) partition into the area. You will need over 20 GB to do updates.

If there is no un-allocated space see if you can reduce other partitions to get un-allocated space.

You can also look at your (CHow to remove un-needed system folders :) drive in File Explorer and remove unnecessary files and folders.

lacrumb, Apr 25, 2016
  3. How to remove Unwanted folders on system drive (C)

I recently installed the free Windows 10 Home upgrade on my 250GB SSD system drive (C). The upgraded computer is a Toshiba QosmioX70-A. I've had a number of Windows updates to the O/S since the upgrade. I've noticed that there are a few folders on my
    system drive that I would like to delete. I cannot delete these folders because they each prompt that I need administrative permission. I've checked my permissions and each group (Administrator; Users; ) are at FULL permission. The folders
    in question that I would like to delete are: ($RECYCLE.BIN); ($WINDOWS.~BT); (Windows.old). Can the community suggest how I can rid my SSD system drive of these folders? Thank you.

Neal O'Connor, Apr 25, 2016
  4. How to remove un-needed system folders

System folders. Seriously. Don't touch.

lopedoggie, Apr 25, 2016
  5. Kyhi Win User
    I believe @Brink has a How To - in regards to HIDING them from the pane...
    You should Not be removing them..

6. derekimo Win User
    derekimo, Apr 25, 2016
  7. I assume he means remove them from the File Explorer display, and I would also like to know. Yes, you can collapse Folders part of the right hand pane, and yes, your can replace the Quick Access junk with This PC. (I've done those.) But the system folders still take up useless space under "This PC".

I don't use any of the Windows-defined folders and see no reason for them to take up real estate in displays. (Yes, I put things in Documents, but I haven't added any files to the default.) I know Microsoft thinks its folders are wonderful, but for me there are useless. How do we remove them from File Explorer?

pokeefe0001, Apr 25, 2016
  8. Mystere Win User

First, most of those folders aren't actually folders. They're Libraries. Libraries can have multiple locations (even on different disks) and are the default locations for various apps, like Notepad, and what not.

While it's possible to change these, it's typically a bad idea. On top of that, any upgrades will reset things and you would have to go through the process all over again, which means more frustration for you. It's always going to be highly frustrating to swim upstream so to speak.

Yes, you can hide the folders, but making them go away is probably going to cause more problems than it solves.

Mystere, Apr 25, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Using the method below is safe and reliable, but do read the note at the top of the tutorial first. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Apr 25, 2016
  10. vsrawat Win User
    vsrawat, Apr 25, 2016
  11. Wonderful! I hope that's what the original poster wanted. It's certainly what I wanted.

pokeefe0001, Apr 25, 2016
  12. vsrawat Win User
    yes, I don't want to see these folders in explore window, right at the top of my partitions, thus hiding my view to my partitions.

no problem if they are lying anywhere unused in the disk. There are millions such folders.

I am used to bare folder access in 30 years of my pc use right since DOS days, and I could never reconcile to the wisdom of all these Libraries, Quick View (though jump lists are useful). MS forces them on our head as if this is the best solution to increase our productivity.

thanks.

vsrawat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove un-needed system folders - Similar Threads - remove needed system

2. How to remove OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove OneDrive folders: Good day,I used to access Onedrive folder of a previous company I worked for.I do no longer work for this company.I did not find how to delete the related folder.Each time I reboot, the system tries to access it.Thank you...
  3. How to remove OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove OneDrive folders: Good day,I used to access Onedrive folder of a previous company I worked for.I do no longer work for this company.I did not find how to delete the related folder.Each time I reboot, the system tries to access it.Thank you...
  4. I Need to remove folder sharing access in folders/files .

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I Need to remove folder sharing access in folders/files .: Hi , my pc get hacked by some one when i started server service , i stopped it instantly to find out that he changed all drives owners to shared and put a another unidentified ones , luckily i changed owner and principal permissions to everyone .. and started copying/bakup...
  5. Weird un removable redirecting virus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird un removable redirecting virus?: So i got Dell G7, use it for music production, few months a go I downloaded a plugin from a random site (no one to blame but me) and got hacked/virus, got money taken from my card, after that i reset all my cards, ran like 6-7 anti malware softwares and it seemed clean, then...
  6. How to remove the MicrosoftEdgeBackups folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove the MicrosoftEdgeBackups folder?: It can be found here: "C:\Users\<username>\MicrosoftEdgeBackups\" I only found threads about restoring it, but I want it gone from my userfolder, so it is more organised. If it is not deletable, in that case I would just like to move it somewhere else – perhaps into the...
  7. How to remove a folder that is being "used by system"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove a folder that is being "used by system": I know you shouldn't remove system folders, but in my case it is different, so, I recently installed the xbox gaming app on the C: Drive, but I chose to install the games in the E: drive, and for that I needed to change the apps instalation location which I had in drive C:...
  8. Un-Hide a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Un-Hide a folder: One of my folders has gone walkabouts since an update. My Pictures folder on my D: drive has vanished and I can only find some photo's but they were 'hidden' but the folder itself is not showing in the directory so I'm guessing it has somehow been hidden during the last...
  9. How do I stop this un-needed update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I stop this un-needed update?: I installed the latest driver package from NVIDIA Sept 3. For the last week Microsoft has been trying to install and NVIDIA update and has consistantly failed. See Mesage below: NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 - Error 0x800f0102 How do I stop this or...
  10. Deleting un-needed files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting un-needed files?: Newbie here. Just got this new system (Win 10) last month & I'm trying to familiarize myself with it. Is the location below where I can "safely" delete un-needed files? This PC > OS (C*Smile > Users > (Name of PC) > Local Settings > Temp Many thanks...BTW--great forum. 72073