Windows 10: How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

Discus and support How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I got a USB drive from HP with Windows 10 as a recovery. I'm trying to remove the write-protect on it and tried many ways but I cant. Is there a way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yahanna, Jan 18, 2017.

1. yahanna Win User

How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

I got a USB drive from HP with Windows 10 as a recovery. I'm trying to remove the write-protect on it and tried many ways but I cant. Is there a way to do it?

:)

yahanna, Jan 18, 2017

2. Remove write protection from USB

Ask HP. They may have sent you a hardware locked USB stick. It is unlikely it is large and it would be wiser to spend the 10 USD and get something likely much larger, possibly much faster and keep that one around for the future (in case whatever caused
    you to need it to reset once happens again.)

Shenan Stanley, Jan 18, 2017
  3. Slamh2017 Win User
    Remove write protection from USB

I have recently received a USB from HP to reset my laptop. Now that my laptop has been reset I would like to use this USB for storing my own things but it is write protected. I have already tried the regedit and command prompt methods but neither worked.
    What can I do?

Slamh2017, Jan 18, 2017
  4. Grom0X Win User

Hi yahanna
    Please try this:
    Open a command prompt AS ADMIN
    type DISKPART press <enter>
    type LIST VOLUME press <enter>
    type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from.
    type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
    you will see a prompt that the write protect has been removed
    type EXIT press <enter>
    That's it and Good luck!

Grom0X, Jan 18, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    I'm a Windows 7 user, there is a switch to [un][click] buried in Control Panel --> Device Manager --> properties of usb device; however I have no idea how to do that in Windows 10. I'm making ZyKLon's post into a text file for future use; let us know that his post worked for you, thanks!
    ZyKLon, is there a similar script for clearing Write Protect from other devices? What is the command to activate Write Protect? I will make text files of your answers with "ZyKLon/w10f" at the top of each one.

RolandJS, Jan 18, 2017
  6. Grom0X Win User
    Hello RolandJS
    Command to activate Write Protect is ATTRIBUTES DISK SET READONLY

Disk Write Protection - Enable or Disable in Windows

Grom0X, Jan 18, 2017
  7. yahanna Win User
    I did all that. After I entered, "ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY", I didnt get a prompt stating that the write protect has been removed. But the command prompt stated that disk attributes cleared successfully.

But when I tried to format the USB drive I get a pop up window stating that its still write-protected. Do you have any other suggestions?

yahanna, Jan 18, 2017
  8. Grom0X Win User

Please look at this Remove Write Protection from USB Drive in Windows 10/8/7

Grom0X, Jan 18, 2017
  9. Grom0X Win User
    Sorry but doesn't work on 14393 OS build, only on 10586 OS build.
    *Sad

Grom0X, Jan 18, 2017
  10. RolandJS Win User
    Could the usb drive itself have a tiny switch?

RolandJS, Jan 19, 2017
  11. mike s Win User
    Could the drive be ROM-based with no flash chip to write to?

mike s, Jan 19, 2017
  12. Check for a switch. Otherwise give Ufix a try. It's applicable to PNY and HP flash drives (Ufix-III is the version with Win 10 support)

/* EDIT */
    Note it reformats the drive so everything will be lost. As it's a recovery drive, wonder if HP intended it for read-only

ComputerGeek, Jan 19, 2017
  13. How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

It is possible that the drive has no write capability in the hardware itself. It likely to be readonly as that is the purpose of it, recovery.

logicearth, Jan 26, 2017
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

some of these devices may well be READ ONLY -- I sometimes get some of these from people demo-ing Stock trading software etc.

In any case USB sticks / micro SD cards etc are cheap enough --why bother with a "difficult one" !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive? - Similar Threads - Remove Write Protection

2. How to remove write protection on usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove write protection on usb: I wanted to install windows 8.1 on a windows 7 computer so I put the iso file on a usb drive and made it bootable but after I tried booting from it it said I had to change it to MBR since it was on GPT but I couldn’t because it said it was write protected. How do I fix this I...
  3. How to remove write protection on usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove write protection on usb: I wanted to install windows 8.1 on a windows 7 computer so I put the iso file on a usb drive and made it bootable but after I tried booting from it it said I had to change it to MBR since it was on GPT but I couldn’t because it said it was write protected. How do I fix this I...
  4. Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB: I have a 64GB flash drive that I need to format, but when I try, I am told it is Write protected and the protection must be removed. I have seen directions about using Regedit, but would feel better getting the direction from you, rather than an unknown group on the 'net. Can...
  5. Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB: I have a 64GB flash drive that I need to format, but when I try, I am told it is Write protected and the protection must be removed. I have seen directions about using Regedit, but would feel better getting the direction from you, rather than an unknown group on the 'net. Can...
  6. Need to Remove Write Protection from a USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I'm unable to remove "Write Protection" from my USB drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm unable to remove "Write Protection" from my USB drive.: Hi,So the issue is that I am unable to remove the write protection from my USB. The issue arose after I used MediaCreationToolW11 to install the windows 11 boot loader onto the USB stick.When I was about halfway through the installation, a message appeared saying that...
  8. How to Remove Write Protection from USB Flash Drive

How to Remove Write Protection from USB Flash Drive: I know this question has been asked before, but nothing I try works. I have tried diskpart; I have tried the registry, and I have tried third-party applications. None of them remove write protection on my flash drive. I seem to have a unique problem than everyone else,...
  9. Write Protect USB Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Write Protect USB Drive: I need to make some data easily transferable and *tinker proof*. I have a set of 20 GB mostly PDF other Documents. Therefore I would like to put this data on a USB stick and afterward block anyone from editing selected parts. What can I do and how? submitted by...
  10. External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?

External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?: I have been using a Western Digital My Passport external USB 3.0 hard drive for years as a backup drive. My old computer died and I just replaced it. Now when I plug in the external drive, I cannot write to it in any way, even just renaming a file. This error message is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. oem usb dey is write protected

2. remove write protection from hp usb

3. how to remove usb write protected

4. remove write protection from oem usb