Windows 10: How to rename network interfaces

Discus and support How to rename network interfaces in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I've got a new DSL router and configured it with the same settings as previous. I already tried and successfuly renamed Network Adapters as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by eddward, Aug 18, 2016.

1. eddward Win User

How to rename network interfaces

Hi,
    I've got a new DSL router and configured it with the same settings as previous.

I already tried and successfuly renamed Network Adapters as they were before, it is now Ethernet and Wi-Fi but it is still not enough. netsh interface show interface command still saying Ethernet 2 and Wi-Fi 2 after reboot.
    I also tried netsh interface set interface name=”Ethernet 2” newname=”Ethernet” but didn't help
    Any suggestion to fix it ?
    It's not a big deal, but still I would like to have it sorted.

Thanks

:)

eddward, Aug 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 Anniversary Device Manager Issues

Hi
    mccainmw,

You simply need to boot into Safe Mode, then use Regedit. And Search Local Machine for the exact Name of the Connection. Rename it or Delete it. This occurred in Windows XP, a lot.

thecreator, Aug 18, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 18, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Aug 18, 2016
  5. eddward Win User
    I did... already edited registry where
    Ethernet renamed to Ethernet_old and Ethernet 2 back to Ethernet
    the same for Wi-Fi
    but didn't help *Sad

eddward, Aug 18, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    A wireless network profile will use the SSID of the wireless network (ex: router) you connected to as the default profile name on your PC

For wired. I've just tried it and it worked. Did you make the changes for both Profile Name and Description ?

topgundcp, Aug 18, 2016
  7. eddward Win User
    I edited entries here
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
    Description and Profile name have been changed, but this is related only for SSID afaik and it's already OK.

The thing is, network adapters are already renamed if I navigate to the Control Panel\Network Connections
    Name for WiFi adapter is already Wi-Fi (renamed from Wi-Fi 2), SSID renamed as well, Ethernet (Ethernet 2) the same.
    But as I said via netsh interface show interface there are still Wi-Fi 2 and Ethernet 2... moreover in Windows 10 Settings - Network & Internet is also still Wi-Fi 2 and Ethernet 2...
    I don't know how, but obviously names are not changed in the whole system.

eddward, Aug 18, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

Try to power cycle everything to clear up all the DNS cache.

topgundcp, Aug 18, 2016
  9. eddward Win User
    I restarted laptop 2 times already, nothing changed.

eddward, Aug 18, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

re-cycle the router + cable box (if you have fibre optic cable) as well - completely power off, leave for 20 secs and restart. Switch off (yes there is actually an OFF button on them) any wifi connected mobile phones too plus any smart TV's / NAS devices.

That way everything in the network should be cleared.

Make sure the entire Kybosh (every piece of networked connected hardware) is OFF (hard powered OFF - not left in standby mode) before powering on Router / Cable box again.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to rename network interfaces - Similar Threads - rename network interfaces

2. Wireles network interface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireles network interface: I'm having a problem with the WiFi network card being disabled, many of the cases that happen are when the computer is coming back from sleep mode.Displays the following log:WLAN Extensibility Module stopped.Module Path: C:\windows\system32\IntelIHVRouter10.dllWiFi driver is...
  3. Wireles network interface

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireles network interface: I'm having a problem with the WiFi network card being disabled, many of the cases that happen are when the computer is coming back from sleep mode.Displays the following log:WLAN Extensibility Module stopped.Module Path: C:\windows\system32\IntelIHVRouter10.dllWiFi driver is...
  4. Wireles network interface

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Is it possible to name network after network interface?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to name network after network interface?: Hello,I need to have a specific network name due to old SW. Is it possible to force Windows to name the network profile after ethernet adapter?I have multiple network adapters with different names. For example the names of the adapters are FOO_NET and BAR_NET. It would be...
  6. How to rename the Ethernet Network Name of Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to rename the Ethernet Network Name of Windows?: [ATTACH] We recently changed our router and when I connect to the Internet, it shows "Network 2" but not the name of our router. Please can anyone help me to rename the Network name. I have searched the Web and everywhere there are tutorials for the changing name for...
  7. Specifying network interfaces for apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Specifying network interfaces for apps: I'd try to clarify the title using an example. I have two available network interfaces: Interface A: Wifi (Example IP: 192.168.1.82) Interface B: Mobile/Metric (Example IP: 197.7.24.16) What I'm trying to do is: Run steam (Or any other app) using Interface A (wifi) for...
  8. Stop Network Renaming

Stop Network Renaming: How do I stop the the network from constantly changing the network number and resetting the network security. I am now on network 17. This computer is attached with a fixed ethernet cable to the same router. No hardware changes, yet every update or at random reboots...
  9. Network Interface Card Problem

Network Interface Card Problem: I have a D-Link DWA-582 Wireless AC1200 Dual Band PCI Express Card which I have recently bought. I installed the driver then installed the card. The speeds are good. But for some reason I'll be in a game for example Rainbow Six Siege, then all of a sudden my game freezes at...
  10. How to delete old network interfaces?

How to delete old network interfaces?: So I'm having trouble working with the latest Docker release and it is complaining at me that it can't create a network interface called 'vEthernet (DockerNAT)', because one already exists (true, I have upgraded the version and one did exist previous to that upgrade). I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 rename network interfaces