Windows 10: How to Repair a User Profile?

Discus and support How to Repair a User Profile? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've just updated to Windows 10. I'm having problems with some Apps (e.g. Kindle & Get Started) in my main user account but not other accounts. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Steve C, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

How to Repair a User Profile?

I've just updated to Windows 10. I'm having problems with some Apps (e.g. Kindle & Get Started) in my main user account but not other accounts. I've run the Store Troubleshooter, Update Troubleshooter and sfc /scannow which runs OK.

I suspect there is a minor problem with the user profile. Is there a method of troubleshooting / resetting the user profile? I know I could just create a new account and copy all the files over.

:)

Steve C, Jul 9, 2016
  2. KevinWHib Win User

Repair a corrupt user profile

I am trying to repair a corrupted user profile. I found a detailed explanation on how to do this in previous versions of Windows, but have not been able to find similar instructions for Windows 10. How do you do this in order to minimize the amount
    of impact to the user (loss of game data, etc).

KevinWHib, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Repair a corrupt user profile

Hi,

In the instructions of the link below use these instead of #3. Follow all the others

under Work Group (if you are on a Domain you should be working with TechNet).

In 8/8.1 and 10 use File Explorer - Click on the Drive where users are (usually

C:\ ) - then View tab - tick Hidden Items box & on far upper right of ribbon Options - Change folder and Search options.

Fix a corrupted user profile <- method works on Windows 7 and Windows 8

- Windows 10 also.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have trouble creating the new user account to use in the above :

How to Add a New User Account in Windows 10

Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jul 9, 2016
  4. RonCFL Win User

RonCFL, Jul 9, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I would rather fix this simple problem than doing a full clean install.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Repair a User Profile? - Similar Threads - Repair User Profile

2. How to hide user profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to hide user profile: im sorry to ask this, im probably dumb but how do i hide the user profile on my desktop? all other computers i have dont have that. i disabled "show hidden items" in file explorer but nada it wont work..how do i hide it?...
  3. How to hide user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to hide user profile: im sorry to ask this, im probably dumb but how do i hide the user profile on my desktop? all other computers i have dont have that. i disabled "show hidden items" in file explorer but nada it wont work..how do i hide it?...
  4. How to repair your Windows user profile if it fails to load

in Windows 10 News
    How to repair your Windows user profile if it fails to load: The Windows user profile is used by Windows to store user related information. This ranges from personal files, such as downloads, images or documents, to custom Windows settings. [ATTACH] The Windows operating system loads the user profile on start of the system and...
  5. Repair user profile without rebuilding it

in Cortana
    Repair user profile without rebuilding it: It is possible to repair a User Profile in Windows 10 without rebuilding it from scratch? My Windows search, calculator, sticky notes along with the Windows button in Taskbar on mysecond monitor all stopped working. MY IT deparment wants to rebuild my profile but that is very...
  6. Repair user profile without rebuilding it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair user profile without rebuilding it: It is possible to repair a User Profile in Windows 10 without rebuilding it from scratch? My Windows search, calculator, sticky notes along with the Windows button in Taskbar on mysecond monitor all stopped working. MY IT deparment wants to rebuild my profile but that is very...
  7. Repair user profile without rebuilding it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. User profile corrupted, repair/fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User profile corrupted, repair/fix: It appears my Microsoft Account/Windows 10 user profile is corrupted. I have been unable to install some? apps from the Microsoft Store, specifically People and MSN Weather. Also, I recently tried to install updates for my church accounting software. It started and then...
  9. How to Delete a User Profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Delete a User Profile: I know nothing about softwares and how they work., let alone this whole OneDrive thing. I have a new notebook and I copied some files from an external hard drive. I didn't realise that it was saving everything to OneDrive. I got a message to say that my OneDrive had run out...
  10. Restoring a user profile on a repaired laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restoring a user profile on a repaired laptop: Hello, I am asking about a relatives laptop, that was running Windows 10. His HDD was getting bad, and we managed to backup his user account files to a couple of DVD's using the standard backup program. However, we could not get a full system image, as there were too many...