Windows 10: How to replace system file?

Discus and support How to replace system file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a major problem on my desktop Win 10 Pro X64 computer. I won't go into all the detail since I'm still problem solving on my own. However, I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dsscottage, Jun 17, 2016.

1. How to replace system file?

I have a major problem on my desktop Win 10 Pro X64 computer. I won't go into all the detail since I'm still problem solving on my own. However, I do need help with one issue so I can continue problem solving.

Part of the problem is that my mouse is not working and it really hard to navigate. The device manager reports that the driver is unable to load and may be damaged. Looking at the drivers, file hidclass.sys is 0KB and I suspect that is the problem with the mouse (that file is 152KB on my laptop). I've tried to update the driver but Windows tells me that I have the latest edition. Removing the drivers and uninstalling the device from within Device Manager didn't correct the issue. I've tried to connect a different mouse on a different USB port and also tried a wireless mouse but all failed.

Now I'm trying to manually delete the hidclass.sys file so a new version can be installed. However, I get a window telling me that I need permission from "TrustedInstaller" to do this. Every time I push "Try Again", end up with the same message.

Any idea how I can delete or update this driver?

:)

dsscottage, Jun 17, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

How to replace system disk (windows 10) (without having to backup mounted drive) ?

Hi,

I have never attempted to create a mounted volume as you described, which is why I can't be of much help with that particular issue...

I also know little about what exactly the Linux DD is...

As I mentioned... Acronis and other 3rd party imaging programs make an exact copy of Partitions or Drives... As a result, the fact that you have files directed to a Mounted Drive is for the most part irrelevant to them...

They do not check for OS settings and Windows particulars... They just copy the Partition or Drive in question...

You should be able to image your 256gb SSD to any drive of sufficient capacity to hold it's "Used" space, then restore the image to a new SSD and resize the partition if needed...

All links you may have on the OS partition\drive should be retained, as the image is an exact copy...

Sorry I can't be of more help with the windows process... I rarely use it because of it's limitations... It is my understanding that it is actually being phased out...

It currently will not image the newer UEFI machines... They use a FAT32 partition for the boot manager, and the backup imaging process will not recognize it...

slance310, Jun 17, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    How to replace system disk (windows 10) (without having to backup mounted drive) ?

Hi,

That is probably not going to work with what you are attempting to do...

I don't know your location, but NewEgg has Acronis TrueImage 2017 on special for $35 with a $35 rebate... Free basically...

Should you decide to try this, make sure you get the retail boxed version... the bootable CD is the critical component...

There are other imaging programs that are free and work well... The problem is that they require you to install them to create bootable media...

You would need bootable windows media to reload your image if that Win 10 process even worked..

slance310, Jun 17, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How to replace system file?

NavyLCDR, Jun 17, 2016
  5. I followed the instructions in the link but when I click (pressing enter since the mouse isn't working) on the "change" link of the "Advanced Security Settings" window, the Advanced Security Settings window closes. The "Select User or Group" window doesn't open.

I tried the same thing on my working laptop and it works as described in the link.

Then I connected to my desktop from my laptop using TeamViewer so I could use a mouse remotely. That seemed to partly work. I was able to change ownership to the same name that owns my data files. That worked.

Now when I try to delete the file, I get the message "You need permission to perform this action....". Pressing "try again" gives me the same result.

I also tried to copy a new version of the file with the same result.

Note:
    -The owner name that I assigned to the system file is "userid@hotmail.com" which is the computer logon ID and the owner name of my data files.
    -The "You need permission to perform this action" window says I need permission from "computername/username which is different from the logon id.
    (In case this isn't clear, I won't use real names but my logon ID is "user@hotmail.com". My computer name is ASUS/User2.
    -I tried to change ownership of the file to ASUS/User2 but it wouldn't accept that name.

Any ideas?

dsscottage, Jun 19, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Change the actual security permission on the file to allow full access to "everyone".

You can also make a USB flash drive or CD/DVD of Kyhi's recovery drive and boot the computer from that. That should give you mouse usage again and might be able to work more with the troubled file from file explorer on Kyhi's recovery drive.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Jun 19, 2016
  7. Thank you so much NavyLCDR

I did as you said and gave "everyone" "Full Control" and was able to delete the file.

After that, I moved a correct copy of "hidclass.sys" to the desktop, uninstalled the non working mouse hardware from device manager, then scanned for new hardware and the mouse is now working.

Now, I'm able to more readily pursue my major problem on the desktop. (If i'm unsuccessful, I may be back for more help!)

Thank you again. You are a star!

dsscottage, Jun 19, 2016
  8. How to replace system file?

I think it might be easier to run the System File Checker (SFC) to correct system files.
    I'm fairly certain that hidclass.sys is in the component database.

Command Prompt (Admin)

SFC /ScanNow

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to replace system file?

1. How to replace system file? - Similar Threads - replace system file

2. How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system: Laptop Dell XPS 1330, i7, Windows 10 is transferred from Administrator ‘A’ to spouse in a divorce. All the data on the system are the work of spouse, but are shown as the property of ‘A’. Spouse creates Administrator ‘B’ account, logs in as such, also logging into ‘B’s...
  3. How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system: Laptop Dell XPS 1330, i7, Windows 10 is transferred from Administrator ‘A’ to spouse in a divorce. All the data on the system are the work of spouse, but are shown as the property of ‘A’. Spouse creates Administrator ‘B’ account, logs in as such, also logging into ‘B’s...
  4. How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media

in Windows 10 News
    How to replace a Bad System File with a Good File using Windows 10 Installation Media: While you can use SFC, DISM, Reset & Cloud Reset options; today we show you how you can also replace a corrupt or missing system file with a good file using the Windows 10 Installation Media. [ATTACH] Replace Bad System File with Good File using Installation Media At...
  6. System Restore Failed to replace the file --- 0x80070780

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Restore Failed to replace the file --- 0x80070780: I want to use the System Restore function but I simply can not get it to work.... ever. I've had like 6 different errors and I think I fixed them, however I'm stuck on this one: System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not...
  7. Replacing operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing operating system: My desktop crashed yesterday now it wants a source to repair my operating system Windows 10 and I can't get it to see any source at all. I do not have a CD or recovery tool but I have no less than three licences. What do I do?...
  8. how to "replace" commands on files with no extensions?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to "replace" commands on files with no extensions?: as stated above I wish to replace file from c:\temp1\text1 with c:\temp2\text2 rather than copy, paste, replace, then repeat etc. batch command can be a single click from desktop. problem is I wrote a bat file with "replace c:\temp1\text1 c:\temp2\text2" without quotation...
  9. Replacing System Board

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing System Board: I built my own PC and now I need to replace the System Board. I installed Windows 8 OEM on the original PC and have since upgraded to Windows 10 through the free upgrade program. I need to know what steps to take in reactivating Windows 10 upgrade. Do I have to buy Windows...
  10. System Drive Going Down. How To Replace?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Drive Going Down. How To Replace?: I have had a lot of trouble with my system drive and I think it is about time to replace it with a new physical unit. Can I just put a new hard drive in the machine in its place, install a new instance of win10 and enter my same serial number? 94312