Windows 10: How to REPLACE Win 10 File Explorer

Discus and support How to REPLACE Win 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello all, my first post here, since it seems IMPOSSIBLE to google up anything useful about this question. I'm not exactly sure whether I'm in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by coffeetickle, Sep 6, 2017.

1. How to REPLACE Win 10 File Explorer

Hello all, my first post here, since it seems IMPOSSIBLE to google up anything useful about this question.
    I'm not exactly sure whether I'm in the correct subforum, but it did say "tweaks" which seems to fit.

I can't help starting with a little rant, distasteful as it may be, though justified: The dreadfully revolting and disgusting default file manager that comes with win 10 apparently lives in a dirty little corner somewhere in the file "/Windows/explorer.exe", so one would think it would be an easy matter to plonk another .exe file in there to replace it.

The problem is that the same explorer.exe file also handles the desktop background, icons, taskbar and probably another handful of things, so just copying in another file manager and renaming it explorer.exe is likely to disable some system functionality that is actually useful, unlike the default file manager itself).

I can't believe I'm the only user around itching to do this. So please anyone? Any ideas, experience or advice on THIS QUESTION ?

PLEASE don't answer with suggestions regarding alternative file managers that can be run instead of the default, I know dozens of those. My question ONLY concerns HOW to go about the actual REPLACEMENT procedure, and get the system to use the alternative .exe in all situations where the MS-one was called up before.

:)

coffeetickle, Sep 6, 2017

2. Open FTP site in File explorer not working in windows 10

You didn't answer the question.

Trying to open an ftp site using Windows Explorer in Win 10.

Win 10 does not support Windows Explorer. It has been replaced by a really bad program called "File Explorer"

File Explorer will allow you to view an external ftp site but I can't figure out how to create a folder on the site. This was simple under Win 7, Windows Explorer.

ArthurSValla, Sep 6, 2017
  3. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Sep 6, 2017
  4. nt62 Win User

How to REPLACE Win 10 File Explorer

Hello and welcome to TenForums.

suggest alternate shell or OS

How to REPLACE Win 10 File Explorer [​IMG]

nt62, Sep 7, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    The underlying issue is that File Explorer [and the older Windows Explorer] is pretty much the core of Windows. As such it has to work with drives containing a large variety of file formats, reading, writing, etc. There's a procedure for setting a particular program to open only specific file formats is easy to do. Setting a different file management program such as FreeCommander, TotalCommander, etc., [there's a lot of others] as default will be quite daunting without having to rewrite Windows which according to the EULA would be illegal.

Berton, Sep 7, 2017
  6. That certainly makes sense, but then Directory Opus claims to do just that in the Pro version.
    I wonder how much rewriting of Windows they had to do.

coffeetickle, Sep 7, 2017
  7. Thank you. That's interesting, but can you suggest any particular alternate shell to get started?
    What are you using in that screenshot?

I tried googling around and found many alternative shells that were popular up to a few years ago,
    but that market seems to have pretty much dried up with win10.

As far as I was able to find out a large majority of them have been discontinued, and the remaining so-called alternative shells are basically in two groups: some, despite the name, are merely start button replacements eg. "classic shell", and others a whole different OS such as ReactOS where it isn't even clear whether normal applications will run or not.

coffeetickle, Sep 7, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Just for your information, this forum does not take kindly to rants, and regulars are less likely to help or advise. There really is no need for it - why not ask in a polite manner for ideas?

I recommend you edit your post accordingly.

cereberus, Sep 7, 2017
  9. And I think I did ask politely. The rant part was just background information to the question I was asking, and clearly announced as such.

coffeetickle, Sep 9, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    I think I might give a replacement file manager try but first I'd open Task Manager, click Processes tab then scroll down to the bottom, right-click Windows Explorer [yeah, they can't get the name changed in all the places] and choose End Task to see what not having Windows/File Explorer running lets me do. I tested it on one of my IP computers, nice black screen. Can use the 3-finger salute to Sign Out and restart.

One other thing, that page for Directory Opus is in Australia so maybe their Copyright and Trademark laws aren't as stringent as USA.

As far as reactOS, it's just another Operating System. Looks like it may do more with programs for older versions of Windows but programs may be limited.
    DistroWatch.com: ReactOS

Berton, Sep 9, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Hmmm... 'Origin: Russia' apparently.

12. Edwin New Member
    Let's take a couple steps back for a sec...

What is so dreadfully revolting and disgusting about Windows File Explorer?

Edwin, Sep 9, 2017
  13. Berton Win User

Berton, Sep 9, 2017
  14. Edwin New Member
    ... PS:

If you're talking about the Universal File Explorer, (UWP), then yes, it is dreadfully revolting and disgusting and useless! *Wink

Edwin, Sep 9, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Whilst you can set a 3rd party manager such as Dopus or XYplorer as your default file manager, there is no guarantee whatsoever that you will not still encounter file explorer or windows that look like an instance of file explorer.

Why?
    a. Some applications may have a call to Windows file explorer hard coded, rather than using the reference to the default file manager.
    b. Some applications display a Window that resembles file explorer but is in fact not (e.g. open/save dialogues.

(The same principle applies to your internet browser- even if, say, Firefox is set as your default browser, sometimes Edge or even IE will appear).

dalchina, Sep 9, 2017
Thema:

1. How to REPLACE Win 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - REPLACE File Explorer

2. Win 10 - File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 - File Explorer: Is it possible to always have column headings in File Explorer regardless of view mode? I sometimes like to sort my large file icons by date modified or size etc ... without having to do multiple sorting. Thanks....
  3. Win 10 - File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 - File Explorer: Is it possible to always have column headings in File Explorer regardless of view mode? I sometimes like to sort my large file icons by date modified or size etc ... without having to do multiple sorting. Thanks....
  4. Win 10 - File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 File Explorer replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 File Explorer replacement: Although due to some properties use this program, I want to ask tips on how fully replace it. Total Commander file manager is OK, but for example, working with the home network is is unsatisfactory and complex. Needs a plugin for this(?). Or at least I can't operate me. Does...
  6. Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *

Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *: We all like our stuff organized in some way so we can locate them easily. However, I cannot seems to find a way to organized my Chinese titled file in any meaningful way.This post is specifically asking if there is a way to edit registry/some program/setting changes/what not...
  7. Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *

Win 10 File Explore sort Chinese by Pinyin or Win 10 File Explore sort * by *: We all like our stuff organized in some way so we can locate them easily. However, I cannot seems to find a way to organized my Chinese titled file in any meaningful way.This post is specifically asking if there is a way to edit registry/some program/setting changes/what not...
  8. File Explorer does not replace image files

File Explorer does not replace image files: When I drag or paste an image into a folder it doesn't update. If I refresh it doesn't update. If I close and reopen File Explorer, the image remains unchanged. Even more with dds files. I'm not talking about anything but replacing 1 dds with another by any method. The only...
  9. Replacing Win 10 with win 8.1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing Win 10 with win 8.1: Hi, win 10 - 1803 has proven a big disappointment to me and I'm considering removing it entirely and doing a clean install of windows 8.1. If anyone could advise me on the viability (or not) of doing so I would really appreciate it. Are there any possible adverse consequences...
  10. File Explorer > Open With replacement?

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer > Open With replacement?: It seems like the simple "open with" dialog has gotten worse with every version of Windows since they invented it. I avoided Win8/8.1, but cannot avoid Win10... and this is a feature that I use regularly, and absolutely hate what MS has done with it in Win10. I've already...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. replacement for win 10 file explorer freeware