Windows 10: How to require password after X mins?

Discus and support How to require password after X mins? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Is it possible for Win 10 to ask me for a password after X minutes of inactivity, post running of screensaver? Specifically, I want a screensaver... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tengeezer, Oct 11, 2016.

1. tengeezer Win User

How to require password after X mins?

Is it possible for Win 10 to ask me for a password after X minutes of inactivity, post running of screensaver?

Specifically, I want a screensaver to run after 2 minutes inactivity, BUT I only want a password request to be enabled after at least 10 minutes of inactivity. In this case, the "on resume, display logon screen" option isn't much use, as it coincides with the screensaver.

Is that possible? If so, how?

:)

tengeezer, Oct 11, 2016
  2. OssieMac Win User

How to turn off Require password after sleep

Every thing on this subject that I can find refers to an option on the left of the Power Options window but on my computer I cannot find it so how do I disable "Requires password" after sleep.

OssieMac, Oct 11, 2016
  3. RPG17A Win User
    How to turn off Require password after sleep

Hi

The powers option is in the control panel, set view by to large icons. Once open you'll see options in left panel.

How to require password after X mins? [​IMG]

If you want to put your computer to sleep and wake up where you left it without having to sign in go to
    settings>accounts>sign in options and under
    required sign in
    set it to never. This only works in sleep mode not logout or restart. In the power option settings set
    choose what closing lid does to sleep then all you have to do is close the lid and when you return lifting the lid will awaken laptop to the point where you left it , no sign in, obviously that's for laptops. Desktops just put to sleep. You
    can safely leave your computer in sleep mode for as long as you want, it will enter reduced power mode on a laptop to preserve battery power whilst sleeping but it will still use the battery.

Hope your ready for some grief when we hammer you in the rugby league on Sunday.

RPG17A, Oct 11, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

Wullail, Oct 11, 2016
  5. tengeezer Win User
    I can't use the screen timeout feature, since the problem with that is, because it's a family computer used for education, work and games, people will think the computer is turned off, so they'll press the power button to turn it on, when actually they're turning it off.

So basically I need the screensaver to show after X minutes, but the password request feature to only kick in after Y minutes (where Y is obviously greater than X).

tengeezer, Oct 11, 2016
  6. Wullail Win User
    I think , screen timeout doesn't actually blank the screen , (that's under power save) , it just takes you back to the login screen after XX minutes.

Wullail, Oct 11, 2016
  7. tengeezer Win User
    Just tested it, "screen timeout" blanks my screen.

tengeezer, Oct 11, 2016
  8. Wullail Win User

I found this , might be worth a try.

• Go into C:\Windows
    • Create a new shortcut
    • Paste this in the path: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation.
    • Click next and rename it, click finish.
    • Then Control Panel
    • Scheduled Tasks
    • Add Scheduled Task.Give some Proper name.
    • Next/Browse
    • Find the new shortcut, select it, pick daily, next.
    • Type in a password for the Scheduled
    • Task/Confirm, Next, Finish
    • Double click the new scheduled task you just made
    • Schedule Tab
    • Schedule Task
    • Select when Idle, enter time allotment, ok.

Wullail, Oct 12, 2016
  9. tengeezer Win User
    Awesome, that did the trick thanks.

For some reason the shortcut route didn't quite work in Scheduled Tasks (although the shortcut works fine by itself), but using the actual path in the Scheduled Tasks worked just fine.

Cheers.

tengeezer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to require password after X mins? - Similar Threads - require password mins

2. Require Password after Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Require Password after Screen Timeout: Quite simply, is it possible to change my Windows 10 settings to require a password after the screen turns off?Power & Sleep settings allow you to set a timer for when your screen turns off and when your computer goes to sleep. When my computer goes to sleep, I have to enter...
  3. Require Password after Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Require Password after Screen Timeout: Quite simply, is it possible to change my Windows 10 settings to require a password after the screen turns off?Power & Sleep settings allow you to set a timer for when your screen turns off and when your computer goes to sleep. When my computer goes to sleep, I have to enter...
  4. password required after waking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    password required after waking: Hi there, My laptop now requires a password after waking from sleep mode, and it won't let me change this, despite me being the admin. I realize this is a security "feature", but it's unwanted, how can I remove this? Thanks for your help!!...
  5. Recovery Drive Requires 32gb min

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Drive Requires 32gb min: So i got a bunch of kingston 32gb datatravelers to create recovery drives for all of my office computers. windows will not recognize this as large enough for a recovery drive. is there a work around because i know that amount of space will not be used. windows says 32gb...
  6. How to disable password requirement after sign out?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to disable password requirement after sign out?: Hello. First of all, I'm really sorry for bad english. I'm having a hard time trying to disable password requirement after signing out from my account. I did the netplwiz trick and it works to boot computer without asking me password. The problem is when I'm already using my...
  7. How to disable password requirement after sign out?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable password requirement after sign out?: Hello. First of all, I'm really sorry for bad english. I'm having a hard time trying to disable password requirement after signing out from my account. I did the netplwiz trick and it works to boot computer without asking me password. The problem is when I'm already using my...
  8. Require password after sleep.

Require password after sleep.: I need my Windows 10 computer to require my windows password after waking from sleep. All answers on the web point to either the 'Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options' menu or the 'Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options' menu. I have checked both and the...
  9. Password Required after sleep

Password Required after sleep: I have suddenly got a power management problem. On first boot up the laptop fires up Win Home and does not require a password input. However if I close the lid, the laptop goes to sleep. open the lid press space bar and it now asks for the login password. I have run...
  10. How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep

How to not require password after inactivity; only after sleep: I recently enabled the lock screen slideshow in Windows 10. Every time my display turns off (after 2 minutes of inactivity), it goes back to the lock screen and I have to login again. This issue is fixed by going to Settings-->Accounts-->Sign-in options and changing...