Windows 10: How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?

Discus and support How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, So, I have this friend who messed up the BIOS settings on his Acer Aspire 5745G and now the laptop turns on but it's just a black screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BicycleRow, Nov 24, 2016.

1. How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?

Hey guys,

So, I have this friend who messed up the BIOS settings on his Acer Aspire 5745G and now the laptop turns on but it's just a black screen. He said that he switched from his onboard video to his discreet video card and that's when the problem occurred. I know I can just remove the CMOS battery or short the 3 pin jumper with something metal to reset the BIOS settings but the problem is that I can't find either of these. It's really strange, I even brought out the whole motherboard and I still couldn't find it. I think I read somewhere there's a another way of resetting the settings but I can't remember it. Any help on this?

:)

BicycleRow, Nov 24, 2016

2. Getting into bios

BIOS settings are never lost because the BIOS is a non-volatile memory chip.

CMOS settings, on the other hand, are either lost or reset to default values when the motherboard battery is removed. The CMOS is a
    volatile memory chip.

When you are in the BIOS setup program then you can modify the settings kept in the CMOS. You cannot change any BIOS settings, unless, of course, you flash the BIOS.

Unfortunately the author of the article you quote keeps confusing BIOS and CMOS. See
    here for an authoritative description of the BIOS.

Frederik Long, Nov 24, 2016
  3. XP ROCKS. Win User
    XP ROCKS., Nov 24, 2016
  4. Slippery Win User

How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?

This may help, from Google:Reset Acer Aspire 5745g Bios - YouTube

Slippery, Nov 24, 2016
  5. I'm sorry but that doesn't help at all. I said there's just a black screen, nothing can be seen.

BicycleRow, Nov 24, 2016
  6. Slippery Win User
    Did you see the instructions below the video to use f2 to enter bios, then f9 to set defaults and f10 to save the defaults. You don't need to see a display to accomplish that.

Slippery, Nov 24, 2016
  7. Oh, my bad. I didn't look at the description and I wasn't even paying attention to what he was saying. I'll try this tomorrow with my friend. It's the same laptop so hopefully it'll work. Thanks! *Smile

BicycleRow, Nov 24, 2016
  8. How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?

Many laptops/tablets hide or eliminate the BIOS reset jumper. It's not there or not marked as such. Not like it is on a desktop PC. Mainly to prevent a thief from easily resetting the BIOS/Boot password and getting access. Even removing the BIOS battery will prevent those settings from being reset. Other settings like boot order etc will be returned to defaults though when you remove the CMOS battery. Every laptop I've disassembled has had a CMOS battery, Usually its several batteries in a pack to prolong their effective life. Replacing them can be a real PITA.

alphanumeric, Nov 24, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper?

1. How to reset the BIOS settings if there's no CMOS battery or jumper? - Similar Threads - reset BIOS settings

2. Had to reset bios settings with cmos battery and now can’t login with pin or password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Had to reset bios settings with cmos battery and now can’t login with pin or password.: Hi,I was upgrading my ram yesterday and I changed it out then booted my computer and it worked fine. Then I turned on the xmp profile for the new ram and it didn’t boot so I had to take out the cmos battery to reset the settings. When I did that I guess the tpm got cleared...
  3. Had to reset bios settings with cmos battery and now can’t login with pin or password.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Had to reset bios settings with cmos battery and now can’t login with pin or password.: Hi,I was upgrading my ram yesterday and I changed it out then booted my computer and it worked fine. Then I turned on the xmp profile for the new ram and it didn’t boot so I had to take out the cmos battery to reset the settings. When I did that I guess the tpm got cleared...
  4. Resetting BIOS = No CMOS battery + can't find documentation showing location of where to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting BIOS = No CMOS battery + can't find documentation showing location of where to...: Hello, I've completely wrecked basically the entire drive and via diskpart clean and several formats, converts, and more. Now I'm trying to reinstall windows or any operating system, but can't boot to USB and can't turn off secure boot because this machine has an admin...
  5. Resetting BIOS = No CMOS battery + can't find documentation showing location of where to...

Resetting BIOS = No CMOS battery + can't find documentation showing location of where to...: Hello, I've completely wrecked basically the entire drive and via diskpart clean and several formats, converts, and more. Now I'm trying to reinstall windows or any operating system, but can't boot to USB and can't turn off secure boot because this machine has an admin...
  6. UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...: UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the jumper, nothing reset after PC was off for three hours and installed a new battery; motherboard GA-990FXA- UD5 rev 3.1 ver. FCG.I was able to get into win10 but after the replacement...
  7. UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...

UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...: UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the jumper, nothing reset after PC was off for three hours and installed a new battery; motherboard GA-990FXA- UD5 rev 3.1 ver. FCG.I was able to get into win10 but after the replacement...
  8. UEFI low CMOS battery, could not get into bios, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. CMOS Battery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CMOS Battery: How often should it be changed? I have a ProBook 4540s HP Laptop running Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmos-battery/1b7f89ca-a1e2-458d-ae77-8ad93b347f0b
  10. cmos battery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cmos battery: Is there a default in set up after replacing the cmos battery or should you take a picture with the flash off just in case? I cannot think of any other way to know the information as print screen etc cannot be used. TY Peter 44179