Windows 10: How to restore Macrium Images on a Remote PC

Discus and support How to restore Macrium Images on a Remote PC in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Ok, this is slightly theoretical as I have yet to test it, but I am sure it will work. One of the problems with restoring Macrium images is that you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cereberus, Oct 20, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

How to restore Macrium Images on a Remote PC

Ok, this is slightly theoretical as I have yet to test it, but I am sure it will work.

One of the problems with restoring Macrium images is that you have to boot in Winpse mode (I do not know any tools that will do it from (same) Windows).

Doing this on a remote PC though is much harder, as you need physical access to PC.

I have thought of a couple of ways around that:

1) Probably easiest solution is to have a second installation of Windows in a dual boot configuration (with windows in a vhd hiding boot option until needed), then you can remote to that, and use Macrium Reflect in normal Windows mode to restore backup image to other Windows installation.

2) Slightly more complicated but much more space efficient solution is to install @Kyhi's winpse recovery drive from "Software and Apps" as a dual boot option by making a small partition max 2GB.

This winpse drive has a tool called anydesk.exe that allows you to remote to pc in winpse mode (teamviewer etc cannot do that unless you have very old versions on both host and remote pc).

Then you will be able to run Macrium Reflect remotely to restore images.

The only tricky part I cannot think of an elegant solution (in either solution) is how to select to boot from whichever Rescue environment of option 1 or option 2.

I could set the Rescue environment as the default boot option, but that is not a great idea.

At the moment, the only way I can think of is to manually change default boot drive with MSConfig (if I want it visible) or using advanced booting options from system, advance systems.

I guess because this is only for emergency situations, this is not a big deal.

As an aside, I am thinking of creating a custom cutdown version of @Kyhi's tool, with only Macrium Reflect, and Anydesk.exe and nothing else, so if other user access it, they cannot run all the other tools.

:)

cereberus, Oct 20, 2017
  2. BruceTR Win User

Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

Windows 10 on PC.

I plan to use Macrium Reflect Free to create a System Image on a USB stick (not a removable USB drive). Macrium will create the Image as a .mcimg file. The file will be approximately 74 GB. In the future, when
    I want to restore to the System Image, I plan to use Macrium to perform the restore. Because Macrium will be used for the restore, the USB stick does not have to be bootable.

Given this scenario, what format should be used for the USB stick? FAT32, or NTFS, or some other format?

Thanks

BruceTR, Oct 20, 2017
  3. Help! I can't backup my computer!

Macrium Reflect is one of the best tools you will ever have. With a image created with Macrium, you will be fearless, knowing you can restore your PC back like is was the day you created the image. It may take you a little time to learn how to use it but
    it will be the best time you ever spent. There are tons of helpful tutorials about Macrium on the internet. Very user friendly and very a reliable program.

No one on the forum will ever recommend a program that is not safe. If they do the program will be immediately removed!

garybear89, Oct 20, 2017
  4. Kyhi Win User

Thinking Out Loud Here..

Windows 10 now puts the recovery tools (winre) partition Last.

If you where to make that a 2gb partition and then replace the winre.wim with the recovery tool boot.wim (renamed winre.wim)

one should be able to remote in to the pc and trigger the windows 10 recovery environment

Also if one was to use the Macrium Boot Media - boot.wim

one could add Anydesk to that Macrium boot.wim /Program Files and then launch anydesk.exe by modifing

"X:\windows\system32\Winpeshl.ini" by adding a line to launch anydesk

[LaunchApp]
    AppPath = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Anydesk\Anydesk.exe

I have not used Marciums Network feature, but one would have to connect to network first

Not tested, just thinking out loud....

5. cereberus Win User
    I have added Macrium Reflect as boot option (using your slightly modified scripts) - works great on a tablet as you can save a lot of space by not having Macrium installed in Windows - less flexible but for tablet, a full backup only takes approx 10 minutes.

Yeah, I forgot that you have to get macrium connected to network - doh. Some interesting challenges.

As a thought, whenever I used your rescue drive, I always had to manually start up network app and connect to the network. If that part could be automated, and anydesk automatically started (it has a remote unattended access function), then that would be a solution.

Edit:- took me a bit off faffing around, but have got @Kyhi's winpse environment booting anydesk automatically, and setup for unattended access.

Only bit I need to workout now is how to automate connecting to a wifi network. I am sure this is possible - just have not worked out how yet.

cereberus, Oct 22, 2017
  6. Kyhi Win User
    I have played around with this - penetwork is launched via registry settings or by the penetwork.ini file in the same directory as exe.
    I have setup the ini file to use wifi network profile as default. and can autorun penetwork at startup..
    But I still have to manually select the wifi hardware/wifi network card and then apply the profile settings..
    penetwork prefers to connect to a lan card, I guess...

Also Google has a Team Viewer extention/add-on that works with the google browser in PE..

I have a 28mb file that would need to be extracted to users/default/appdata/local/google/chrome/"user data"

or you could add the extention into google and then copy that "user data" into your mounted PE image

there is also a registry entry that would need to be made

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\PreferenceMACs\Default\extensions.settings] "oooiobdokpcfdlahlmcddobejikcmkfo"="E5768CBC0550326396A66920ABB32C462E42662E4230D06EF75BFDCA49712B31"[/quote]

Kyhi, Nov 2, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    [/quote] Thanks for this and pm.

I could not find anyway of starting PE network automatically to wifi like you.

I decided I would simply install normal Windows in a separate partition, hide that and hide boot entry, and use that as I can easily connect to that using normal teamviewer once unhidden and boot entry reinstated (changing default boot to that version),I simply run Macrium Reflect as normal.

It uses more space but no big deal.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to restore Macrium Images on a Remote PC - Similar Threads - restore Macrium Images

2. Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive: Hey all, First-time poster and also new to Macrium. I have a 1TB M.2 SSD in my laptop that I want to image, transfer to another computer, and then I want to restore the image to a smaller (500GB) replacement M.2 drive. I'm working with only 1 M.2 slot, so I created a Macrium...
  3. Restoring Macrium Reflect image

Restoring Macrium Reflect image: I really need help. Let me say first that the image I made with MR is about 1.5 yrs old. I see no reason why that should matter. I opened Macrium Reflect and went to the Restore heading. There I browsed to and selected the image I wanted to restore. This is what I see:...
  4. Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging)

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging): Hi folks The standalone version of Free Macrium will backup and restore Linux systems -- but with a slight proviso you will probably have to re-generate the bootloader / grub on the first boot of the restored system. I'm specifying IMAGING the systems and not cloning them as...
  5. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  6. Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect

Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect: I made an Image backup of Windows 10 64 Bit the other day using the free version of Macrium Reflect v.7. I am having a spot of trouble on my Dell laptop and decided I would restore the system from Macrium. What I failed to do, I am beginning to understand, was to make the...
  7. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  8. Questions concerning restored images in macrium

Questions concerning restored images in macrium: I know cloning a drive will in essence replicate it, but I have a question about imaging your OS and data partitions. If you image the OS and data partitions and restore them on a target drive...... will the restored target drive be able to boot Windows or just...
  9. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  10. Macrium image restore changes partition layout

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Macrium image restore changes partition layout: I tried one again to use Macrium to backup only C:, clean install then restore only C:. Once again it did more that I asked it to and removed the 16MB partition created by the clean install. After clean install I had this, 4 partitions on Disk 0 (SSD): [img] After...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium remote image restore

2. remote boot macrium to restore image