Windows 10: How to restore System Restore and where to get the CAB files for it?

Discus and support How to restore System Restore and where to get the CAB files for it? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This may not be the best forum section for this question and I don't mind it being moved to the more appropriate section.. as long as that section is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MonarchX, Apr 27, 2017.

1. MonarchX Win User

How to restore System Restore and where to get the CAB files for it?

This may not be the best forum section for this question and I don't mind it being moved to the more appropriate section.. as long as that section is alive and has people posting!

I never use System Restore as I find it ineffective and so I use other methods to backup system data. I used a toolkit that allows for removal of packages from the Install.wim file before the actual installation and I removed System Restore along with Cortana Search UI, Windows Defender and ton other worthless Store Apps. System Restore completely gone and DISM RestoreHealth and SFC ScanNow show 0 problems. Every single program and game I have is 100% cool with System Restore gone, but one tool that I value a lot simply requires its presence or else it will not even launch. I still don't need or want System Restore, but that program does and its the best of the best at what it does.

I don't want to re-install the whole OS after days of updating the OS, drivers, installing software and games, tweaking, customizing, and etc. I just want to re-install System Restore. Is that even possible at this stage? I know in Windows 10 everything comes in form of CAB packages and a CAB packages for System Restore undeniably exists somewhere in Install.wim file. I even found one online, but for older Windows 10 version and that site did not describe how that CAB file was extracted. I need System Restore for Windows 10 Creator's Update 15063, preferable for 15063.240 as I integrated the latest Creator's Update RollUpFix into the Install.wim I used to install the OS.

Could someone help with these questions?
    1. Can System Restore be added back to my OS through CAB package installations without causing problems with DISM and without DISM RestoreHealth and SFC ScanNow producing errors due to some mismatch? After all the Install.wim used to install my current OS had no System Restore packages and upon seeing them present on the installed OS with System Restore restored it may produce errors...
    2. Which packages should I extract from the original Install.wim? I assume its these 2:
    - Microsoft-Windows-SystemRestore-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0
    - Microsoft-Windows-SystemRestore-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~10.0.15063.0
    3. How do I actually do it? I only know how to remove packages with tools like NSudo + CBSEnum or Install_WIM_Tweak.exe , but not how to extract them from the WIM files. I do know how to install CAB packages though.

:)

MonarchX, Apr 27, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

System restore doesn't restore to the date and time choosen

System Restore doesn't restore your system to an earlier date. Only a backup can do that. System Restore restores the essential functioning of the Windows user interface so you can access Windows tools to (hopefully) fix a problem you are experiencing.

BulldogXX, Apr 27, 2017
  3. Richojh Win User
    System restore doesn't restore to the date and time choosen

*Original Title: System restore. I have attempted to restore my system

I have tried to system restore my Windows 10 to an earlier date but it returns saying its been restored successfully but it had restored I to today so there was no change. I tred o follow the instuctiions

Richojh, Apr 27, 2017
  4. Baddog Win User

One man's junk is another man's treasure. SR has gotten me out of plenty jams. Never had a program that
    actually needed SR to run but apparently you do. I don't see or can't find a way to reinstall SR without the
    whole OS being brought back via ISO image restore or, dreads, clean install. I'm no help but wish you luck. *Smile

Baddog, Apr 27, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Well, one solution that springs to mind is to make yourself a new install.wim that includes System Restore, then use that to do an in-place repair install. That will keep all your installed apps and files.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

6. MonarchX Win User
    OK, FYI, I got the CAB files without any re-imaging or re-installation. I simply had someone extract them for me using SxSExpander and uploading them. I installed the CAB files and it all worked out - DISM and SFC were happy, the program that needed System Restore was working (even though I disabled System Restore entirely!), but my OS got bloated by about 2-3MB...

MonarchX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to restore System Restore and where to get the CAB files for it? - Similar Threads - restore System Restore

2. How to restore system if there is no restore point?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore system if there is no restore point?: I had to use ProctorU for my college to take a test, and when I got in my headphones wouldn't let them hear me and they kept acting like there was nothing to fix it and they were being impatient. I did not know what the problem was because I am not tech savvy. Anyways, the...
  3. How to restore system if there is no restore point?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore system if there is no restore point?: I had to use ProctorU for my college to take a test, and when I got in my headphones wouldn't let them hear me and they kept acting like there was nothing to fix it and they were being impatient. I did not know what the problem was because I am not tech savvy. Anyways, the...
  4. How to restore system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore system: I have Windows 10 installed on my laptop. Recently, my computer started freezing, the picture lost, programs began to freeze and close. I looked on Task Manager, oftenly starts Windows Modules Installer Worker. When I open settings, next menu "Updates and Security", it opens,...
  5. How to restore system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore system: I have Windows 10 installed on my laptop. Recently, my computer started freezing, the picture lost, programs began to freeze and close. I looked on Task Manager, oftenly starts Windows Modules Installer Worker. When I open settings, next menu "Updates and Security", it opens,...
  6. How to restore system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Where are System Restore Points stored? How to view Restore Points in Windows 10?: System Restore Points contains the necessary information needed to restore your system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and generated when you create a restore point manually. In this post,...
  8. File System restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File System restore: Have new PC. Made mistake of syncing with old PC. This really messed up my file system by importing the old PC file system to new PC. Now I can't find anything in my file system structure. What should I do?F...
  9. Advanced system restore and restore file locations

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advanced system restore and restore file locations: I'm using windows 10 pro and am trying to get restore locations moved from and old drive to a new drive. I'm trying to figure out what folders and files I need to move and where to move them so I can have the restore points show when I open system recovery. Creating a system...
  10. Where are System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Where are System Restore Points...: ...stored on my computer; the physical location (folder)? Thanks! 18352