Windows 10: How to restore the old Default Programs Menu?

Discus and support How to restore the old Default Programs Menu? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I thought the old classic Default Programs Menu was completely gone and replaced by the PC Settings Default Programs which sucks because it doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Snappy Phoenix, Nov 23, 2017.

1. How to restore the old Default Programs Menu?

I thought the old classic Default Programs Menu was completely gone and replaced by the PC Settings Default Programs which sucks because it doesn't show you how many file extensions a particular app is now handling or gives you the option to assign it all default. It's a very basic default programs menu.

Today when I ran Windows Aero Tweaker and hit the Activate Windows Photo Viewer, it popped up the old classic default programs menu as shown below:

How to restore the old Default Programs Menu? [​IMG]

So that means the menu is still there but I don't know how to access it in any other way other than launching Winaero Tweaker

any ideas?

:)

Snappy Phoenix, Nov 23, 2017

2. Is it possible to restore old programs on the computer after upgrading to Windows 10?

helpful but doesn't solve the problem. I will wait until the new Windows 10 update arrives in August or whenever.

PatMcGeever, Nov 23, 2017
  3. Is it possible to restore old programs on the computer after upgrading to Windows 10?

helpful but doesn't solve the problem.

PatMcGeever, Nov 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How to restore the old Default Programs Menu?

The Control Panel is still very much there but getting more hidden.

One way to launch it is via
    Windows key + S
    type Control
    click Control Panel

or in Settings, type Control in the search field

or if you use Classic Shell start menu (free) then you can have

dalchina, Nov 23, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 23, 2017
  6. That's better but still not the same as the previous Default Programs screen that we're accustomed to. It's till there because Winaero Tweaker is somehow able to pull it

Snappy Phoenix, Nov 24, 2017
  7. Not talking about the control panel mate, please read the post again, I'm talking about the default programs associations window that was there in all previous Windows editions including Windows 10 but before the Fall Creators Update

8. f14tomcat Win User

@Snappy Phoenix

Is this closer to what you're looking for? I know which screens you're talking about, but they're not there any more. This, I think, is as close as you can get. I used Chrome as an example.

f14tomcat, Nov 24, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    They are still there in 1709 - what's missing is any direct link to open them from Settings or Control Panel. Where they used to be, 1709 now has links to the Settings version of those pages. But you can still open the Control Panel version if you know the CLSID.

@Snappy Phoenix, for this particular page create a shortcut to...

explorer shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageDefaultProgram

...or use Winkey+R and run it.

For any others, see...

CLSID Key (GUID) Shortcuts List for Windows 10

10. dalchina New Member
    I know- it's part of it.

Can you see the eighth one down on the right?

It's called 'Default Programs'

It looks like this:

Those take you here, mate:

and here, mate:

Thank you mate.

dalchina, Nov 24, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Not in the FCU they don't, @dalchina. In 1709 they now take you to the Settings App versions. Since the Fall Creators Update the only way to get the Control Panel versions is the one I gave in post #7.

12. Thanks, this will do nicely, since the new menu does not allow me to set every software properly.

TairikuOkami, Nov 24, 2017
  13. How to restore the old Default Programs Menu?

you are a GENIUS Man! Thank a lot! Exactly what I've been looking for!

14. Bree New Member
    Well, Brink deserves the credit for writing the tutorial, I just knew where to look *Smile

15. When it did not work since 1709, I thought, that it is deprecated and I did not even bother to look. *Redface

TairikuOkami, Nov 24, 2017
Thema:

1. How to restore the old Default Programs Menu? - Similar Threads - restore old Default

2. How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?: I have uninstalled the old application and replaced it with a new one, but the old icon still appears https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-old-programs-from-the-open-with/0d1ed50c-7bf2-4dbb-a3cd-7ed81fee7260
  3. How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?: I have uninstalled the old application and replaced it with a new one, but the old icon still appears https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-old-programs-from-the-open-with/0d1ed50c-7bf2-4dbb-a3cd-7ed81fee7260
  4. Restore Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Start Menu Programs: By mistake I removed all my programs from the start menu, they are installed its just they don't show up here on being removed. How to restore them back? Windows: 7 Already Tried: Restarted already...
  5. Restore Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Start Menu Programs: By mistake I removed all my programs from the start menu, they are installed its just they don't show up here on being removed. How to restore them back? Windows: 7 Already Tried: Restarted already...
  6. How to reverse/restore "Opens with" to default program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reverse/restore "Opens with" to default program: Sirs,I have an extension .cor file.Initially, I tried to open this file, but I could not.So, I right-clicked "Properties".Under "General", I changed "Opens with" to FileAnalyzer one of the programs I have in my computer.Since I still cannot open this .cor file, I don't want...
  7. Restore default start menu and task bar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore default start menu and task bar?: How to restore default start menu and task bar? I don't like the apps set as "tiles" and I cant seem to find how to bring the default start menu and task bar....
  8. Remove uninstalled programs from Default Programs menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove uninstalled programs from Default Programs menu: Hi first post. I installed ImageGlass a while back and realized it was useless after I got Windows Photo Viewer to work via regedit. I uninstalled ImageGlass afterwards. When I try to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default Photos app, not only is it not there but ImageGlass...
  9. Anyone know how to Restore the Default Windows 10 Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Anyone know how to Restore the Default Windows 10 Start Menu?: I have decided to go default with some of my Windows 10 settings. So does anyone know how to Restore the Default Windows 10 Start Menu? 38778
  10. Restore start menu apps to default

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore start menu apps to default: I unpinned a lot of the apps from the Start menu, now I'd like to restore it to it's installation default. Any way to do this? 7765

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore old defalt programs control panel app

2. old default program windows

3. restore old default program menu