Windows 10: How to restrict standard user access to folders

Discus and support How to restrict standard user access to folders in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; On my secondary hard drive, I have some folders that I don't want standard users to see or access. How can I go about doing this? Thanks! 17727 Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by chanc6, Aug 19, 2015.

1. chanc6 Win User

How to restrict standard user access to folders

On my secondary hard drive, I have some folders that I don't want standard users to see or access. How can I go about doing this? Thanks!

:)

chanc6, Aug 19, 2015

2. Need some restriction of my standard user in my PC

The easiest way to restrict a standard user from accessing the files of another user account is by ensuring that the files are saved to the
    C:\Users\<AdministratorUsername> folder or the %userprofiles% folder. If a standard user attempts to access the files from the said folder, by default, it would instantly prompt for the administrator's credentials in order
    to access it.

If you wish to put restrictions on a specific file, you may follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the specific file and choose Properties.
    • Choose Security tab.
    • Click Edit.
    • Choose Add.
    • Type the username, click Check Name and then, hit
      OK.
    • You can now manage the restrictions for the user profile, under Permissions for <username>.
    If you wanted to set a restriction on the Local Drive, follow these steps:

• Double-click This PC.
    • Right-click on Local Disk (CHow to restrict standard user access to folders :).
    • Choose Properties.
    • Select Security tab.
    • Click Edit.
    • Choose Add.
    • Type the username, click Check Name and then, hit OK.
    • Set the level of restriction for the said drive.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Prevent unauthorized file delete

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. I have two user accounts - one is a administrator account and the second one is a standard user account.

I have 5 disk partitions namely C, D, E, F and G. Now I want to restrict the standard user account from accessing E, F and G partitions. The standard user can view or read the files in it but should not be able to modify or delete the files.

For this I have used Security options available in folder properties. I have added the standard user account and have unmarked following: Full Control, Modify and Write. But still I am able to deleted files and folders from the standard user account.

Kindly suggest me the steps to protect the files from unauthorized modification and deletion.

Subhadeep Kanungo, Aug 19, 2015
  4. How to restrict standard user access to folders

Only give yourself permissions to those folders. Then only you can access them.

logicearth, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

How to restrict standard user access to folders

1. How to restrict standard user access to folders - Similar Threads - restrict standard user

2. IT policies may be restricting access to this folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    IT policies may be restricting access to this folder: I am trying to install Discord but whenever I download DiscordSetup It says "IT policies may be restricting access to this folder". I have tried turning off the User Control settings in both Pontrol Panel and Registry and it still says the same thing.I hope you can help me...
  3. How to Access Denied Restricted Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Access Denied Restricted Folder in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Trying to access restricted folders in Windows 10 but unable to do so? This guide will show you how to access the Access Denied or Restricted folder and its content on Windows 10 using different methods. When trying to access some folders and their content on Windows,...
  4. Restrict Hide access to programs by user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restrict Hide access to programs by user: We recently installed several new Win10 computers one of which will be shared by several users. More a matter of limited space than anything else.There are a couple programs on the one unit we do NOT want other users to have access to, let alone see in the start menu or as a...
  5. User access restriction to only user profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User access restriction to only user profile: Hi Team,How can I restrict a user to only access his profile C:\Users\exampleuser1.Rest everything should be locked such as folders in C drive the user shouldn't be able to create any folders in C drive or any. Standard read or write access to Program Files or Windows should...
  6. Restricting Standard User Ability to Install/Uninstall apps

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restricting Standard User Ability to Install/Uninstall apps: I set up an account for my kids on a new laptop about 6 months ago. When I did this, I made sure they were a standard user and needed my permission to install or uninstall apps. This worked well until the end of December 2020. I just noticed that there were new apps my kids...
  7. IT policies may be restricting access to this folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    IT policies may be restricting access to this folder: was attempting to download and install "Discord' and when I clicked on the exe it gave me this nbotification. I am confussed as many other programs install fine.. I am the only admin and only user of this PC and not understanding why I am getting this notification....
  8. how to I restrict access to a folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to I restrict access to a folder?: Like can I AT LEAST require users to enter an admin password again??? idk why is option is not available. like maybe I want someone to help edit something on my main account but like you know some stuff is off limits....
  9. Standard user able to access Admin folders?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Standard user able to access Admin folders?: Hello, Not sure if this is by default, but I've noticed it on 3 different computers. 2 running Windows 10 Home, 1 running Windows 10 Pro. When logged on as standard user, I'm able to access the folders of an Administrator. I may get prompted for password the first time,...
  10. How to move User Folder and Restrict Access to other Drives/Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move User Folder and Restrict Access to other Drives/Partition: Hi, everyone. I just recently joined this forum with the intent of getting help in setting up a new computer. I've done a fair share of research in this (and other) forum, but the variety of solutions I found left me confused more than ever. I hope someone can point me in...