Windows 10: How to restrict wi-fi internet access to kids?

Discus and support How to restrict wi-fi internet access to kids? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, At home we access to the internet wirelessly by means of a modem-router TP-Link Archer MR200, through a SIM and 4G link. The problem is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pestifero, Apr 28, 2016.

1. pestifero Win User

How to restrict wi-fi internet access to kids?

Hi,

At home we access to the internet wirelessly by means of a modem-router TP-Link Archer MR200, through a SIM and 4G link.
    The problem is that after the first connection the wi-fi network key of the modem-router remains memorized in the device (laptop, tablet, smartphone), therefore the kids are in a position to access the internet without our control; which is not what we want.

Is there a way in Win10 (WinXP and Android as well) to prevent the network key from remaining memorized (without having to delete the wireless network profile at the end of each session) ?
    This would force the kids to come to us whenever they want internet.

Thanks in advance

:)

pestifero, Apr 28, 2016
  2. milphaser Win User

Nokia Lumia 630 Wi-Fi Wrong Missing Internet

Yesterday evening, returning home, I noticed that have Wi-Fi restricted internet access notification again. At the same time computers connected through the same Wi-Fi had normal internet access.

Then I followed Nokia Lumia Manual:

- Switched off phone;

- Switched off Wi-Fi router;

- Switched on Wi-Fi router;

- Waited till my computers show normal internet access;

- Switched on phone.

The phone connected and still remains to show restricted internet access until I opened internet browser. After that the phone began to show normal Wi-Fi internet connection.

milphaser, Apr 28, 2016
  3. Vasile M. Win User
    IE-10 not working through WI-FI

Hi mpsingh190,

Thanks for the forum entry .

Is the wi-fi your home wi-fi?

The issue is most likely related to the router and the settings.

For example in a company network you can restrict a wi-fi access or download.

Some networks need special certificates send so that you can access the internet.

Best Regards,

Vasile M., Apr 28, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

For wifi when connecting there is the checkmark for Connect automatically, don't check it when entering the password for them.

Similar options exist for each OS you indicated.

RWOne, Apr 28, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

On some routers you can enable the time that the router will allow specific Mac addresses (hardware specific - computer wifi card / tablet wifi card etc) to access the internet. Another way is to have 2 SSID's - one hidden that only you use and the other which appears in the wifi list that kids etc can access - this can also be restricted by time. You'll probab;y need to set up a "Virtual switch" for this --it sounds more complex than it actually is BTW. Look in your Router manual under security settings.

Ideally the best way of controlling Internet access would be to set up a Proxy server - you could use another machine for this -- advantage is that you could restrict sites they access and also by reading the log see what they are accessing. If you don't have a spare machine you could set the proxy server up on your main machine which would control access and stop internet access when the machine is down.

If they have their own mobiles - that's another ball game as they could use 4G without needing wifi -- you are on your own on that one !!!. You might as well use a domestic Watering Can to extinguish a Volcano -- would be easier than getting kids to turn off mobile phones (and probably a lot of adults too !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 29, 2016
  6. pestifero Win User
    This expedient works on Win7, but not on Win10.
    Hmm...

pestifero, Apr 29, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Android OS has Parental controls built in.

If you want to do it on the router side. You would need one that offers time controls.

bro67, Apr 29, 2016
  8. How to restrict wi-fi internet access to kids?

Slartybart, Apr 30, 2016
  9. pestifero Win User
    Filters-based parental controls do not suit me.
    I simply want to enter the wi-fi network key at each connection (when the kids ask for Internet, and I agree to) and the device must NOT memorize it. That's it.

My need is that simple.... that I'm not capable to implement it in Win10 !!!

pestifero, Apr 30, 2016
  10. Wullail Win User
    Change the passphrase initially and then when you enter the passphrase , isn't there a tickbox to tell it to save it? , untick it.

Wullail, Apr 30, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    It does not work that way. Take the phones and lock them down in the parental controls. Set the Parental controls on the Gateway.

At bedtime, have them place the phones in a basket. For every week that they detox from the phones under your rules as a parent, give them $5-10.

You are the parent. You came here for suggestions and now you are upset with them, so it is starting to sound like the children are ruling the roost.

Step up and tell them that bedtime during the week is at a certain time and they agree to the rules.

Summer is coming up and you need to give them a little leniency. Otherwise you are going to find out that you will suddenly become the most hated person in the household.

bro67, Apr 30, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Devices remember the Passphrase until it changes and then the device asks for it again.

They will end up finding ways around the whole Passphrase, because there are apps and tools to track them.

A Captive Portalis a good way to reward them with more online time.

bro67, Apr 30, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Maybe remove/disable the built in WiFi adapter in the computer and use a USB WiFi adapter? Then it's just a matter of giving them the WiFi adapter or not. Most laptops have fairly easily removable WiFi cards under a cover on the back. Some laptops and most desktop motherboards you can disable the built in WiFi adapter in bios. You can also disable the WiFi adapter under network settings, but not sure if a non-administrator user couldn't just re-enable it.

300Mbps Mini Wireless USB Wifi Adapter LAN Internet Network Adapter 802.11n/g/b - Walmart.com

NavyLCDR, Apr 30, 2016
  14. Two other possible solutions:

1) Group Policy - restrict network
    Google results: group policy AND network - Google Search

2) Net use, Net accounts, Net user, or Net group
    See: Net - Services, File/Print shares, Permissions | Windows CMD | SS64.com

Since I cannot determine your exact needs - I can only point in different directions that I think might provide a solution.
    Besides ... I'm not that well versed in either GP or Net - do some research, ask about a specific path - some member might have the answer.

Good luck.

Slartybart, Apr 30, 2016
  15. Wullail Win User
    Under 'User Accounts' ,'manage credentials' is the wifi password listed there as an entry? , delete it and try telling it not to save the password when entering it next time.

Wullail, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to restrict wi-fi internet access to kids? - Similar Threads - restrict internet access

2. No internet, no wi-fi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No internet, no wi-fi: I love my Toshiba 3 in 1 laptop/notebook. Bought used 5-7 years ago. Everything worked "perfectly". System type: 64-bit operating, x64-based processor. Edition: Windows 10 Home, Version: 21H1, Installed 10/19/2021.PROBLEM:While on the web downloading an antivirus program, a...
  3. No internet, no wi-fi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet, no wi-fi: I love my Toshiba 3 in 1 laptop/notebook. Bought used 5-7 years ago. Everything worked "perfectly". System type: 64-bit operating, x64-based processor. Edition: Windows 10 Home, Version: 21H1, Installed 10/19/2021.PROBLEM:While on the web downloading an antivirus program, a...
  4. No internet, no wi-fi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wi-Fi and Internet

Wi-Fi and Internet: I am having a problem with my laptop staying connected to the Internet. I can have it connected but if I leave long enough for it to go to sleep I loose the internet. It is still connected to the Wi-Fi though. I have to delete my wireless adaptor and reinstall to get the...
  6. Internet, WI FI

Internet, WI FI: My whole identity has been stolen, there is hackers on my fon right now this one, ive just noticed lately though that mine is shutting off to and going to public internet, im so lost, ive turned some things in but they dont give u enuff space to tell it all or i know i would...
  7. Wi Fi Internet

Wi Fi Internet: Hi, there I can't connect my friend's laptop to my wifi network. when I open to show wi-fi networks I can see other networks but not mine. He can see my network and connect his phone without a problem. Help, please....
  8. Wi-fi connected but no internet access

Wi-fi connected but no internet access: Hello microsoft , i am again facing same problem that my wifi is connected and working in browser, but showing no internet access. And when i am trying open ms store, or other apps like amazon it is showing no internet connection. So kindly fix this problem. Thank you!...
  9. Problem with accessing the Internet via Wi-Fi

Problem with accessing the Internet via Wi-Fi: I have this problem with access to my Wi-Fi at home that’s driving me crazy. Since it only occurs on three laptops that run Windows10, I suspect it might be something to do with Windows10 and not the router itself. Other devices which do not run Windows10, like iPhones or...
  10. "no internet access", but wi-fi printer still works

"no internet access", but wi-fi printer still works: my wi-fi connected laptop is suddenly saying "no internet access". but it obviously is connecting to the home router by wi-fi, because it prints! but browser cannot access websites, and dropbox does not sync. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting, I tried restart, I tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 restrict internet kids