Windows 10: How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7?

Discus and support How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've decided not to use Win10 and wish to roll back to the original Win7 that was on the drive. Win10 has the old system backed up to the Windows.old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GEWB, Jun 22, 2015.

1. GEWB Win User

How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7?

I've decided not to use Win10 and wish to roll back to the original Win7 that was on the drive. Win10 has the old system backed up to the Windows.old directory...but is there a tool or application in Win10 to initiate the roll back?

I know I can wipe and reload or use my backup from last October but I would like to see if there is a Win10 method first.

Regards,

:)

2. Andre Da Costa, Jun 22, 2015
  3. Roll back to win7 pro from win10

Hello Microsoft Community,

I have pre-ordered for the Free Windows 10 Update. However I want to know if I can roll back to my current Windows 7 Pro in case of some game compatibility issue with my Windows 7 Pro installation disk.

SonicWolfe, Jun 22, 2015
  4. How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7?

GEWB,

There isn't technically a way to roll back. You will have to probably have to use your back up. If there is someone in the community familiar with the way to roll back, they can correct me.

Best of luck.

Michaelvas17, Jun 22, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jun 23, 2015
  6. Molyy Win User
    Why did you decide not to use Win 10? Any problems? I'm still using Win 7, considering to upgrade to Win 10 when it releases. It seems that I need to get a backup utility too, just in case that I want to return to Win 7. What are you using for backup?
    Any free options? I've heard about acronis true image, but it's not free. Fbackup and easeus todo backup are free, but not sure they're good.

Molyy, Jun 23, 2015
  7. GEWB Win User
    Thanks for the link but since that machine is strictly a test bed I think I'll wipe the drive and try another Linux distro that was released a few days ago.

Regards,

8. GEWB Win User

Hello Molyy -

No problems regarding hardware integration (everything worked). I have personal issues with the direction MS took with this release.

First some background. I have used almost every release of Windows since Windows 286, including the NT versions AND "Bob" (yeah, I tried it). The ONLY version I passed on was Windows ME. Today I have active installs of six versions of Windows from XP to Win10TP.

I judge the releases based on several factors:
    • How well it integrates with my hardware
    • GUI ease of use
    • Core functionality to accomplish tasks I need to do
    • User control of the operating system
    • Personal judgement call of balance between what I like and don't like in the release

With the Web-centric direction of Win10 AND not being able to remove these applications, I have no use for:
    • Camera
    • Cortana
    • Games
    • Insider Hub
    • Maps
    • Microsoft Solitaire Collection
    • Music
    • OneDrive
    • OneNote
    • People
    • Photos
    • Store
    • Video
    • Voice Recorder
    • Weather
    • XBox

I find several of the above absolute deal breakers as they can't be removed from Win10. I also don't like the bolted-in integration of the Microsoft browser (with Bing).

So, when I look at not wanting or using the list above coupled with the reduced user functionality (which has been degrading for many releases) I cannot find a compelling reason to use Win10 - it has nothing to offer me.

As to backup software, I use the Windows built-in and EaseUS Todo.

Regards,

9. John035 Win User
    John035, Jun 24, 2015
  10. Molyy Win User
    OK, I see. The built-in apps are sometimes annoying. And I'm gonna try easeus todo. Thanks a lot.

Molyy, Jun 24, 2015
  11. GEWB Win User
    Molyy, you're welcome.

Regards,

12. Painter 3 Win User
    GEWB you expressed my concerns exactly. I do have a software problem, old docs. created in WordPerfect 12, MS Word 2013 and Open Office 4.1.1 are messed up in various way and I currently can not save any new docs or docs from my scanner. Win 7 is looking very good. My only concern with a rollback is the possibility of creating more problems. However, even with that I am thinking about a rollback. I agree that the direction MicroSoft seems to be taking with this OS is disturbing.
    Painter3

Painter 3, Aug 1, 2015
  13. GEWB Win User

Painter3 -
    You could use Win 7 as your default working OS and load Win 10 in virtual or try using Linux Mint 17.2 and see if covers your needs.
    Regards,

14. Painter 3 Win User
    Thank you, GEWB. My family has suggested Linux in various forms as well. I am so very angry with Win 10. I have upgraded to what is the current "final" version on this machine. I can see myself exploring Win 10 for now, however, I believe that I'll buy another machine that has a Win 7 OS and hang on to it with both hands. I know that several of the problems that I currently have with my docs may still need to be corrected when I download my docs from my back up external hard drive, but at least it will be with the more open and intuitive Win 7 OS. As you said in an earlier post, there are simply so many things in Win 10 (xbox, camera, etc., etc., etc.) that I do wish for in an OS. Again, thank you. In the opinion of a large majority of the computer owning and using population, there is a real need and use for a desktop OS. Win 7 does a great job of filling that need.
    Painter3

Painter 3, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7? - Similar Threads - ROLL Win10 Win7

2. Can’t roll back to win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t roll back to win10: Hello I accidentally updated to win11, so I tried to rollback. Only to be stuck in an endless cycle of blue screen and restarting.This is what I get:Stop code: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTIONWhat failed: Ntfs.sys...
  3. Can’t roll back to win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t roll back to win10: Hello I accidentally updated to win11, so I tried to rollback. Only to be stuck in an endless cycle of blue screen and restarting.This is what I get:Stop code: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTIONWhat failed: Ntfs.sys...
  4. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  5. Win10 reverted back to Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 reverted back to Win7: A few years ago, I redeemed the free Win10 offer and upgraded my computer. Previously, I was using Win7 I believe the previous Win7 installation was kept on a petition on one of my internal hard drives, whilst the new Win10 installation was kept on my SSD. Just today,...
  6. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  7. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  8. Going from win10 to win7 - how, precisely

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Going from win10 to win7 - how, precisely: So the primary issue is this: My motherboard is old enough that there are no windows 10 drivers for it. I did get everything running smoothly at one point, but have no clue how, and now it honestly seems easier to downgrade to 7, where drivers exist and so on. How do I...
  9. Cannot Go back to Win7 from Win10

Cannot Go back to Win7 from Win10: When i navigate to settings>Recovery>Go back to Win 7, I click the "Get Started" button but nothing opens or occurs at all. I am the only account on the PC with full admin rights. Attached is a screenshot of my user list [img] 57537
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716