Windows 10: How to roll back to Windows 8.1 from the Command Prompt?

Discus and support How to roll back to Windows 8.1 from the Command Prompt? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been running Windows 10 Pro on my HP desktop for overa week with no problems. Over theweekend Windows attempted installing an upgrade; not sure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rosteven, Aug 16, 2015.

1. rosteven Win User

How to roll back to Windows 8.1 from the Command Prompt?

I have been running Windows 10 Pro on my HP desktop for overa week with no problems. Over theweekend Windows attempted installing an upgrade; not sure when, but during theupgrade process I received a Critical Process Died BSOD with no error code. All system restarts result in the same error, and I havebeen unable to use Repair, Recovery Mode, or Safe mode to isolate theproblem.

The only usable option seems tobe to do a System Restore where I have the choice of losing all installed apps,or losing both all installed apps and files.
    Is there any way to roll back to the Windows 8.1 that isstill located in the Windows.old folder from the command prompt?

:)

rosteven, Aug 16, 2015
  2. Vijay B Win User

How to Roll back to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I would suggest you to try the steps suggested by J W Stuart from the following link and see if that helps.

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised July 23rd, 2015

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised August 17th, 2016

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, Aug 16, 2015
  3. How to Roll back to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10

Is it possible to go back to windows 8.1 from windows10 because i have games on my laptop that arent supported by windows 10 on my steam account. Plz help

SamirMessahel, Aug 16, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I read somewhere that booting from a Windows 10 install media (USB stick/DVD) and the repair this PC option gives you the option to roll back. Not sure. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. After a couple days I delete all the old stuff required for a rollback - but I still have my trusty hard drive image stored on USB hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
  5. rosteven Win User
    I did try booting from a Windows 10 install DVD; I'm pretty sure that after a failed repair attempt that only options were a full install (with re-partitioning the HD), or an install where all settings/apps/files were lost - I don't remember seeing the roll back option. Thanks, I'll take another look at it tonight to be sure.

rosteven, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    How is rolling back to Windows 8.1 better than doing a System Restore? It will cause you to lose the same apps (which is not true, only apps you installed after the restore point was created) and it will lose you Windows 10.

I'd recommend truying the restore and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Ztruker, Aug 17, 2015
  7. rosteven Win User
    Yep I fully agree, just tried the restore again to make sure of what I was seeing. I get a message stating that "No System Restore Points Have Been Created on your Computer's System Drive". So I am seem to be unable to do a restore. I also just tried the Go Back to Previous Build option, and get an error stating "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous build. Try resetting your current build instead". Tried Reset, but it only gives me the option of Keeping my Personal Files - but removing apps and settings, or Remove everything.

I had upgraded my wife's notebook computer to Windows 10 Pro at the same time that I upgraded my desktop system. She hated Windows 10, but the OS provided the option of rolling back to her Windows 8.1 as long as it was done within 30 days and the Windows.old folder had not been deleted. The rollback worked like a charm. The Windows.old folder is still intact (with all the files) on my desktop, but because I can't get past the OS boot up, I can't get to the Roll Back function - hence my question if it is possible to access the Windows 10 Roll Back feature from Command Prompt?

rosteven, Aug 17, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Rats, another bad decision by Microsoft, to disable System Restore by default.

Ztruker, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Tried that on my failed HP laptop upgrade -- and all it would say was that it could not restore my system. So, I tried the Repair option -- and all it would say was that it could not repair my system.

Mark Phelps, Aug 17, 2015
  10. I know this thread is a little old, but I got the same message when trying to Go back to a previous build today. Two things I did finally worked for me. First, I had to login as a user with administrator rights that had a user profile on the computer before the upgrade. NOTE: The Domain Administrator account wouldn't work. When logged in with that account the Roll Back button did absolutely nothing and the roll back method you tried gave the message "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous build. Try resetting your current build instead". Don't ask me why rolling back didn't work as the Administrator. I have no idea. Second, I had to delete any user accounts created after the upgrade to Windows 10. In our case, this was a domain connected computer. So, the user profile that needed to be removed could only be removed by going to the System Control Panel | Advanced settings | User profiles. Once that was removed we also had to enable the local administrator account with a password we know. Then we were able to revert to the previous version. I wish some of this was documented. So, I hope this comment helps others because it is still an issue.

ken2johnson, Jun 1, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Hold on - people are confusing a System Restore with a System Recover/Reset.

A System Restore only winds pc back a few days to last restore point. Useful for small niggling issues.

A recovery/reset rebuilds OS from scratch (keeping data files if selected).

cereberus, Jun 1, 2016
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Agree, I thought that's what I said?

Ztruker, Jun 3, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there .

do you have an image backup of BEFORE you did the upgrade -- here I mean an image taken with a program like Macrium / Acronis etc.

If you did seems a no brainer to restore and then attempt a new upgrade. This way you should still have all your original installed stuff.

I'm not a fan of the old W8 / W7 system image / restore. Programs like macrium / acronis etc are so much superior and in general always work without problem.

Another possibility is if the windows 8 partition is still available boot a Linux CD and copy using DD. Note this should only be attempted if you know some Linux commands and know exactly what you are doing as any errors will hose you up big time.

After recovering W8 you will then need to to Repair system to re-create the boot partition -- should work from the Windows install disk or ISO if you made one. Use RUFUS to create bootable USB if your machine supports that - much easier than mucking around with physical DVD's.

(If you restored using Free macrium or similar system should boot normally without needing to do anything else. Ensure of course when taking backups as well as the "C" (OS) partition you copy the small reserved system partition if there is one and restore that too on restore).

Note though once you get a running system again ALWAYS take a backup image with a program like Free macrium or similar - it makes life so much easier in the event of any mis-haps etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to roll back to Windows 8.1 from the Command Prompt? - Similar Threads - roll Command Prompt

2. how to remove viruses from the command prompt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to remove viruses from the command prompt?: How to remove viruses from the command prompt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-viruses-from-the-command-prompt/a818112d-646a-4aa4-8875-682a319f8be6
  3. how to remove viruses from the command prompt?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to remove viruses from the command prompt?: How to remove viruses from the command prompt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-viruses-from-the-command-prompt/a818112d-646a-4aa4-8875-682a319f8be6
  4. How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?

How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?: Hello Microsoft community,I have a big problem in my Windows 10 Pro, I wrote something wrong in the Command Prompt idk How to write in english and when I try tô do any actions that restart the notebook or turn It of, the spinning thing doesnt appear and It never...
  5. How to get back legacy command prompt.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get back legacy command prompt.: I'm learning c++ and when I run the compiled application by double clicking it gets opened in the new terminal app. I want the old command prompt to be used when I double click the exe. Any idea ?...
  6. How to get back legacy command prompt.

How to get back legacy command prompt.: I'm learning c++ and when I run the compiled application by double clicking it gets opened in the new terminal app. I want the old command prompt to be used when I double click the exe. Any idea ?...
  7. How grant folder from command prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How grant folder from command prompt: Hi I need to redirect Windows logs folder by mklink command but before creating a link the source folder must be deleted and when I using rmdir command, it reports access denied. To solving this problem I have to change folders permission manually. But I need a command to...
  8. Command Prompt exited with code 1

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt exited with code 1: [ATTACH] Hi, I'm having this error problem and couldn't run any file and Jupyter notebook is not working also. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-exited-with-code-1/8f05ee60-869b-4234-8de6-9b42b3ebd364
  9. How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7?: I've decided not to use Win10 and wish to roll back to the original Win7 that was on the drive. Win10 has the old system backed up to the Windows.old directory...but is there a tool or application in Win10 to initiate the roll back? I know I can wipe and reload or use my...
  10. Rolling back a tablet from 10 to 8 after files are gone.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rolling back a tablet from 10 to 8 after files are gone.: Well I have a toshiba encore I think it is, a small tablet which starts with windows 8 on it, had upgraded to 10 and ended up resetting it to factory settings in a way which left it without the files to roll back to 8 and of course it asks for the windows key but because 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Roolback with coomand promit on startup with win 8 in laptop

2. Rolling back to 2008 from command prompt