Windows 10: How to Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: How to Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 How to Manually Scan Files, Folders, and Drives with Windows Defender Antivirus in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

How to Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

How to: How to Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

How to Manually Scan Files, Folders, and Drives with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

The Windows Security helps you scan for threats on your device. You can also run different types of scans, see the results of your previous virus and threat scans, and get the latest protection offered by Windows Defender Antivirus.

Windows Security uses real-time protection to scan your downloads and the programs you run on your device. Also, Windows Update downloads definition updates for Windows Security automatically to help keep your device safe and protect it from threats.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to manually scan files, folders, and drives on demand with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus using Context Menu
    • Option Two: Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows Security
    • Option Three: Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus from Command Line
    • Option Four: Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus from PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus using Context Menu
    1. Select one or more files, folders, or drives you want to scan on your desktop or File Explorer window.

*note You will only be able to select one item in the navigation pane to scan.

2. Right click or press and hold on the selected items, and click/tap on Scan with Windows Defender. (see screenshot below)

How to Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Windows Defender Security Center will now automatically open showing you the scan results. (see screenshot below)

4. If any threats were found, you will be able to See threat details or just Clean threats. (see screenshots below)

*note See threat details will allow you to select what action to take, and click/tap on Start actions to apply. You can click/tap on See details to see more details about a found threat.

OPTION TWO [/i] Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows Security
    1. Open Windows Security. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon in Windows Security. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (quick scan), step 5 (full scan), or step 6 (custom scan) below for what type of scan you want to run.

4. To Run a Quick Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) Click/tap on the Quick Scan button, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Run a Full Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) Click/tap on the Scan options link. (see screenshot below)

B) Select (dot) Full scan, click/tap on the Scan now button, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Run a Custom Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) Click/tap on the Scan options link. (see screenshot below)

B) Select (dot) Custom scan, and click/tap on the Scan now button. (see screenshot below)

C) Select a folder or drive you want to scan, click/tap on the Select Folder button, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Windows Defender Antivirus will now start scanning. (see screenshot below)

8. When the scan has finished, you will see the scan results. (see screenshot below)

9. If any threats were found, you will be able to See threat details or just Clean threats. (see screenshots below)

*note See threat details will allow you to select what action to take, and click/tap on Start actions to apply. You can click/tap on See details to see more details about a found threat.

OPTION THREE [/i] Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus from Command Line
    *note For more MpCmdRun.exe command line usage options, see: Use the command line to manage Windows Defender AV | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command you want to use below into the command prompt, and press Enter.

*Arrow (Update and Quick scan)
    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate & "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 1

*Arrow (Quick scan)
    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 1

*Arrow (Full scan)
    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 2

OPTION FOUR [/i] Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus from PowerShell
    *note For more Start-MpScan command line usage options, see: Start-MpScan | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command you want to use below into PowerShell, and press Enter.

*Arrow (Update and Quick scan)
    Update-MpSignature; Start-MpScan -ScanType QuickScan

*Arrow (Quick scan)
    Start-MpScan -ScanType QuickScan

*Arrow (Full scan)
    Start-MpScan -ScanType FullScan

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 12, 2016

2. Windows 10 Defender scan

You should be wary about attempting to follow any the steps in the article cited above
    <post has been deleted> since this article applies strictly to the use of the old version of Windows Defender in Windows XP.

Here’s a troubleshooting guide that was designed for the new version of Windows Defender that’s used in Windows 10:

Windows Defender AV event IDs and error codes

The relevant event IDs for scans appear at the top of the list. You can just let the scan run for a while and then check to see if any events have been recorded.

GreginMich, Oct 26, 2019
  3. What the hell, windows defender?

https://www.av-test.org/en/antiviru...-2017/microsoft-windows-defender-4.12-174847/

28 False Positives in last 2 tests

John Naylor, Oct 26, 2019
  4. How to Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

Windows 10 Defender - How to make it default to task bar?

Using Windows 10 and currently I am using Defender for anti virus. For whatever reason Windows Defender does not show up in the task bar unless I search for the program or right click and scan a file/folder. Is there a way to force Defender to show up in the task bar at start up?

Flogger23m, Oct 26, 2019
  5. jsfitz54 Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Oct 26, 2019
  6. avemaria Win User
    right click scan in windows defender?

thanks for that.. i didn't notice the tutorial section :x

I did the suggested registry change and it's now listed on the desktop context menu.. but all this does is ask if I want to open it, update, or start a scan... I was hoping for the option where you right click a specific file and it will have listed 'scan with windows defender' like other antivirus programs have.. MSE had it. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find it in the meantime..

avemaria, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

How to Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

1. How to Scan with Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Scan Defender Antivirus

2. Problems with Windows Defender AntiVirus full scan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems with Windows Defender AntiVirus full scan: I'm on Windows 10, 2004. When I run a quick antivirus quick scan using the built-in Windows Defender, it works and returns zero threats. If I run a full scan from the settings UI, it will run for about 25 minutes, then the antivirus background service either stops or crashes,...
  3. Windows Defender Antivirus scan history not found

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Antivirus scan history not found: Hi, When I go to my Windows Security and click on "Protection history" under Scan options as shown in the screenshot below, I can't see any of my scan history although I have done several full and offline scans before, it shows me "No recent actions" and the Windows...
  4. Schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus

Schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus: Good evening,I came to the Microsoft Community because I was asking for a request and to help me schedule the offline, customized and complete Windows Defender antivirus scan.I'm waiting for this message!Thank you!A good day!...
  5. Windows Defender Antivirus full scan

Windows Defender Antivirus full scan: Can I work in other programs while conducting a full scan with Windows Defender Antivirus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-antivirus-full-scan/7f08cc5f-6240-4d27-8e57-ac4f374e92d3
  6. How to schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus

How to schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus: Make sure your PC is safe and secure. All it takes is 5⃣ steps for you to schedule a scan with Windows Defender Antivirus! Learn more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026132 [ATTACH]...
  7. How to schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus

How to schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus: Make sure your PC is safe and secure. All it takes is 5⃣ steps for you to schedule a scan with Windows Defender Antivirus! Learn more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026132 [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows Defender Antivirus scan couldn't be started

Windows Defender Antivirus scan couldn't be started: "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" Can someone help me on the above message please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-antivirus-scan-couldnt-be-started/a0e0a523-caf7-4098-8221-036c349b47cc
  9. Specify Windows Defender Antivirus Scheduled Scan Type in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Windows Defender Antivirus Scheduled Scan Type in Windows 10: How to: Specify Windows Defender Antivirus Scheduled Scan Type in Windows 10 How to Specify Scheduled Scan Type for Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Windows Defender Antivirus. Windows Defender Antivirus helps protect your PC against malware (malicious...
  10. Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10: How to: Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 How to Schedule a Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Windows Defender Antivirus helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially...