Windows 10: How to search case-sensitive in Win10 file explorer?

Discus and support How to search case-sensitive in Win10 file explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I found this articles: Search - Find More with Filters and Operators - Windows 7 Help Forums and Search - Find More with Filters and Operators 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WTenNewbie, Nov 24, 2016.

1. How to search case-sensitive in Win10 file explorer?

I found this articles:
    Search - Find More with Filters and Operators - Windows 7 Help Forums
    and
    Search - Find More with Filters and Operators 8 (eightforums.com)

both tell us in part 2 how to fine tune search filters.

What I can't find is the syntax to search case-sensitive in keywords.
    I would like to search exactly for this string: "blue water".
    I don't want to see results like "Blue water" or "Blue Water" or "blue water bubbles". Only exactly my string.

The example in the tutorial says: name:~<memo
    but also lists "memo.txt" and "Memo to IT dept.doc" as results (for filenames).

How can I force the search in Windows 10 file explorer to search keywords exactly like I need it?

:)

WTenNewbie, Nov 24, 2016
  2. tomgcs Win User

Only case sensitive file extensions open in Geo viewer.

I will continue to do research on the app "Geo Viewer" for case sensitivity. However, the response provided no additional knowledge. I would of at least expected a response indicating that Windows10 is or is not case sensitive on file extensions since
    this is a Windows forum, thus narrowing it to the app. Hope there is a user that can further my knowledge on "case sensitive" file extensions.

tomgcs, Nov 24, 2016
  3. Only case sensitive file extensions open in Geo viewer.

Hi,

I would like to inform you that this issue may arise due to the corruptions within the application itself and I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the application and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to contact the app developer for better assistance.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 24, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

How to search case-sensitive in Win10 file explorer?

I am afraid it's impossible with Windows Search:

Source: Case Sensitivity in Searches (Windows)

5. Thank you very much, Kari! Do you know any other possibility? (Maybe a 3rd-party-tool or even .net source-code who is capable to do this?)

WTenNewbie, Nov 24, 2016
  6. Have a look at the following thread, my vote is for Everything Search and for case sensitive search (and others) look in Menu > Help > Search Syntax

You might find another better suits your needs.
    What is the best desktop search replacement for windows 10? - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Nov 25, 2016
  7. Thank you for your recommendation, FrillyBits.

It seems "Everything Search" doesn't search for keywords/tags (inside my pictures).
    From the ES-FAQ:
    I have to look for such a function in the other tools.

Addition:
    UltraSearch has the same limitation as the built-in search. From the help point 3 "Search for file content":

WTenNewbie, Nov 25, 2016
  8. How to search case-sensitive in Win10 file explorer?

I think, I have found a workaround:
    In my Windows 10 library called "Photos" I enter the search string: "blue water"
    I get too many results including the unwanted "Blue water" or "Blue Water" or "blue water bubbles".

Then I switch the View to "Details" and double check that the column "Tags" is visible.
    To sort the content in this column, I click on the column header of "Tags".
    Now I can see all the entries (highlighted) including "blue water" and it's a little bit easier to find the one matching exactly my case-spelling.

It's still too much work, but better then the other tools I have found (the one searching inside files for keywords/tags are extremely slow).

The advantage of this workaround:
    I can directly modify such Tags in the file explorer.

WTenNewbie, Nov 25, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Windows search (if you really want to use it like this!) does support syntax such as this:
    Music

These are properties common to music files. To limit the search to music only, the syntax is:
    kind:music <property>:<value>
    where <property> is a property listed below and <value> is the user-specified search term.
    Property Use Example Bit rate bitrate, rate bitrate:192 Artist artist, by or from artist:John Singer Duration duration duration:3 Album album album:"greatest hits" Genre genre genre:rock Track track track:12 Year year year:> 1980 < 1990
    Here it picks out the one tagged file in a folder based on genre:classical

How to search case-sensitive in Win10 file explorer? [​IMG]

See:
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

Locate32 (which works on the same principles as Ultrasearch and Everything but is older) supports case sensitive searches but I've not tried tags on music files:

How to search case-sensitive in Win10 file explorer? [​IMG]

dalchina, Nov 25, 2016
  10. @dalchina: Are you sure that your <value> as user-specified search term will be searched case-sensitive?
    And does "Locate32" search for tags inside files, not only for file- and foldernames?

WTenNewbie, Nov 25, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I never stated or meant to imply it would be case sensitive.
    Locate32 (which works on the same principles as Ultrasearch and Everything but is older) supports case sensitive searches but I've not tried tags on music files:

- as per my post..which I updated maybe after you read it.

dalchina, Nov 25, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Interestingly, Locate32 DOES do a case sensitive search on mp3 tags, now I've tried it. Well, well.

Whereas Ultrasearch help says:
    Case sensitivity

Differences in capital or smaller case letters will be disregarded for all search types (searching for file names, file types or file content). The search is 'case insensitive'. UltraSearch will use the code page associated with the currently specified locale.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to search case-sensitive in Win10 file explorer?

1. How to search case-sensitive in Win10 file explorer? - Similar Threads - search case sensitive

2. Explorer in Windows 10 is not case sensitive, but in Windows 7 it is

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer in Windows 10 is not case sensitive, but in Windows 7 it is: In explorer in Windows 10 when I try to rename a file by only changing the case e.g. from DOCUMENT.doc to document.doc, explorer just ignores the change and keeps the original filename. The only workaround I have found is to perform the rename in two steps as in from...
  3. Explorer in Windows 10 is not case sensitive, but in Windows 7 it is

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer in Windows 10 is not case sensitive, but in Windows 7 it is: In explorer in Windows 10 when I try to rename a file by only changing the case e.g. from DOCUMENT.doc to document.doc, explorer just ignores the change and keeps the original filename. The only workaround I have found is to perform the rename in two steps as in from...
  4. Explorer in Windows 10 is not case sensitive, but in Windows 7 it is

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Issues with case sensitive attributes on folders.

Issues with case sensitive attributes on folders.: After convert an old disk from FAT to NTFS, all folders in this disk has set case sensitive attributes on.In this computer no problem accessing this files and folders, but from another computer this disk is shared on my home network can't access.I find on internet a solution...
  6. Issues with case sensitive attributes on folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with case sensitive attributes on folders.: After convert an old disk from FAT to NTFS, all folders in this disk has set case sensitive attributes on.In this computer no problem accessing this files and folders, but from another computer this disk is shared on my home network can't access.I find on internet a solution...
  7. Issues with case sensitive attributes on folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Search tab missing in Win10 File Explorer

Search tab missing in Win10 File Explorer: How can I bring up the Search Tab in Win10 File explorer without having to do a quick Start & Stop in order to view the options available under the Search Tab?...
  9. File Explorer - search view WIN10

File Explorer - search view WIN10: Hi , i have problem started a week ago in file explorer its should be when im start type in bar show result autimatic without "enter" key when u type when u delete keys that how its should be only in file explorer...
  10. Case sensitive DNS error

Case sensitive DNS error: Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 v1803 last night, and in general all worked well. However I could not remote desktop into my work laptop. I work from home, and it is easier if I dial in to my machine from my main pc (3 screens, nice desk etc.). After about an hour of trying to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 file search case sensitive

2. file explorer windows 10 case-sensitive search

3. how to search case sensitive in folders

4. case sensitive search windows 10,
  5. SEARCH CASE SENSITIVE IN WINDOWS 10,
  6. how to search case sensitive windows explorer