Windows 10: How to Set a USB Flash Drive Partition as Inactive?

Discus and support How to Set a USB Flash Drive Partition as Inactive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a USB flash drive which for some reason is formatted with an active partition. I usually use Minitool Partition Wizard to set a partition as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve C, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

How to Set a USB Flash Drive Partition as Inactive?

I have a USB flash drive which for some reason is formatted with an active partition.

I usually use Minitool Partition Wizard to set a partition as inactive but for some reason it doesn't work on this flash drive. I also tried booting from the Partition Wizard boot disk but that won't set the partition inactive either. I even deleted the partition and reformatted the flash drive but it popped up as active again!

How can I force the partition to be set inactive? Note it's quite an old USB flash drive so I'm wondering if there something in the hardware which stops it being set inactive?

:)

Steve C, Feb 4, 2016

2. Computer will not upgrade from win 8.1 to win 10

1) Create an Image Backup of Windows 8.1

How to create an Image Backup of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to an External USB Drive

How to create an Image Backup of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to an External USB Drive

Uses the free version of EaseUs Todo Backup 9.1 to external USB drive.

Alternative: How to create an Image Backup to a USB Flash Drive

How to create an Image Backup to a USB Flash Drive

2) Download any install either of the 2 partition managers listed below and create a bootable CD / USB drive

Partition Wizard Home Edition (Free):

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Note: There is also a bootable CD or bootable Flash drive versions:

CD:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Flash Drive:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/bootable-flash-drive.html

Resize Partition Video:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html

Some of the features and Functions include: Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition,

Resizing a partition, Move partitions, Restore Partition after accidental deletion,

Convert partition, Explore partition, Hide partition, Disk surface test,

Change drive letter, Set active partition, partition explorer (View contents).

Note: To complete any task use the 'Pending Operations' box located in the lower or top left.

EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition (Free):

Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS Partition Master Free

How to create a bootable USB /Flash drive:
    http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/manage-partition/usb-partition-manager.htm

ALL-IN-ONE partition software and the most convenient hard disk partition manager toolkit

Includes Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard on MBR and GUID partition table (GPT) disk under Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 (32 bit and 64 bit).

It allows users to Resize/Move Partition, Extend System Drive, Copy Disk & Partition, Merge Partition, Split Partition, Redistribute Free Space, Convert Dynamic Disk, Convert GPT Disk to MBR, Partition Recovery and much more.

Note: If you have a spare unused disk drive you can swap the 8.1 drive out and use the empty / spare drive to skip steps 1 &2 and go to step #3

3) Use the Partition Master or Partition Wizard bootable CD or USB drive to delete all partitions on your drive

(Disconnect any other drivers before you start)

4) Try a "Custom"/Clean install of Windows 10 and see if the install will complete. If it does then we know there is still something in Windows 8.1 that a roadblock to completing the installation.

:
    http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Feb 4, 2016
  3. Powhammer Win User
    bootmgr is missing

Make sure that the BIOS is set to boot from your USB flash drive. Watch the message appear on you screen when it instructs you to hit any keys to boot from your flash drive. Once it boots up to the flash drive, you will need to delete the partitions, then
    create a new partition. Next task is to click on 'Format'. Then proceed installing the Windows 10. Note: it will create another partition which will probably be 100 MB or larger. Ignore that partition and do not format it.

Powhammer, Feb 4, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

insert USB

use diskpart

Diskpart
    List volume
    select volume # (# being volume number for usb stick)
    Inactive

Kyhi, Feb 4, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I tried that but I get the message "There is no partition selected" (see screenshot). I then tried the command select partition 1 and that didn't work either.

How to Set a USB Flash Drive Partition as Inactive? [​IMG]

Steve C, Feb 4, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Use:
    list disk
    select disk #
    select partition 1
    inactive

topgundcp, Feb 4, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    That doesn't work either - seen screenshot. I'm thinking there may be a hardware issue with this flash drive since all my other ones work as expected.

Steve C, Feb 4, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

Show us a screen shot of Disk Management.

topgundcp, Feb 4, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    Here is the Disk Management layout:

Steve C, Feb 4, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    I am guessing there is more than one partition on the usb drive, but Windows does not recognise multiple partitions. It could be there is a hidden msr partition or something like that as well interfering with things.

Even disk management might not show all partitions.

I would use both minitools partition manager, and even then it might not work?

It may be necessary to use gparted (linux).

I was surprised the other when I tried to diskpart/clean an hdd with some hidden partitions, it did not totally nuke the drive, and I had to manually delete a hidden partition (somehow I had two msr partitions).

cereberus, Feb 4, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Your disk 4 is already inactive.
    @cereberus
    From dispart, the stick only has 1 partition.

@steveC
    What bothers me is why you cannot select the partition. Since this stick is only 500MB, I guess it's pretty old and certain stick won't even allow to create as bootable.

topgundcp, Feb 4, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    What if you delete the partition, convert gpt and then create a new partition?

13. Steve C Win User

Thanks for your help. I've now deleted the partition in Partition Wizard and created a new formatted partition. The disk is now inactive. The DISKPART selection commands now work but I'm mystified why the previous commands didn't work.

Steve C, Feb 4, 2016
  14. banesoul Win User
    can you please elaborate how you solved it please im having the same problem with my drive

banesoul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Set a USB Flash Drive Partition as Inactive? - Similar Threads - Set USB Flash

2. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  3. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  4. Partitioning a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioning a Flash Drive: I purchased a Samsung 2 Tb flash drive and tried to partition it. It appeared that I first needed to change it from exfat to NTFS so I did using Windows 10 Disk Management. I then created a 1 Tb partition that appears to be okay but I haven’t tried using it yet. I then...
  5. Partitioning a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitioning a Flash Drive: I purchased a Samsung 2 Tb flash drive and tried to partition it. It appeared that I first needed to change it from exfat to NTFS so I did using Windows 10 Disk Management. I then created a 1 Tb partition that appears to be okay but I haven’t tried using it yet. I then...
  6. Partitioning a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting: Hi, I have a USB flash drive that has previously been used by Rufus so it has a GPT partition style. I'd like to wipe it clean and put it back to factory settings (MBR partition, FAT32 etc). Ive been told before that GPT has a second (backup) partition table at the end of the...
  8. Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove GPT partition and Reset USB flash drive back to factory setting: Hi, I have a USB flash drive that has previously been used by Rufus so it has a GPT partition style. I'd like to wipe it clean and put it back to factory settings (MBR partition, FAT32 etc). Ive been told before that GPT has a second (backup) partition table at the end of the...
  9. How to only write protect a single partition on USB flash drive

How to only write protect a single partition on USB flash drive: Hi. I am looking (so far unsuccessfully) for a way to write-protect (set as read only) a single partition (i.e. a volume) of my usb pen so that the write protection (read-only) carries thru when I use it on other machines. My point is that I have a usb pen that I carry...
  10. Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive?

Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive?: Hello! I recently used a 16GB USB flash drive to create an installer for a new Linux distro. I noticed that the created partition is 8GB and the rest 8GB is unused. I want to create a second NTFS partition so I can use the USB as a recording medium for my PVR, but Disk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. set disk inactive windows 10