Windows 10: How to set default pdf reader

Discus and support How to set default pdf reader in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since an update to windows 10 (last but one) every time I click a pdf file to open it, win10 insists on opening it in Edge - even after selecting 'open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by pewe, Nov 28, 2015.

1. pewe Win User

How to set default pdf reader

Since an update to windows 10 (last but one) every time I click a pdf file to open it, win10 insists on opening it in Edge - even after selecting 'open with' and confirming Acrobat as my default pdf reader.

Anyone any ideas on how to stop Win10 controlling my pdf reader choice *Mad

:)

2. rdmeyer Win User

Default App's changed without my permission

I have set as a default a PDF reader and set what that reader can open. Periodically, another program on my computer changed the default to it's own PDF reader without my knowledge. How can this be happening? I go to "settings", "Default Apps" to set
    my default but it seems that some programs can make the change without my going to the default settings.

Is there any way for me to prevent this change?

rdmeyer, Nov 28, 2015
  3. Abi99 (2) Win User
    how to set adobe reader as default pdf reader Ho

Aneek which app opens your PDFs currently? Or do you get an query to select an app for PDF files?

Abi99 (2), Nov 28, 2015
  4. GAS
    Gas Win User

Right click on a PDF file then select open with/choose another application/ then flag the always use this app to open pdf. files and then select the app you want to use, or you can set this from settings/apps/ ecc. the first way is easier.

5. philc43 Win User
    Have a look at the settings you have for .pdf files in "Choose default applications by file type". If it is set to Microsoft Edge change it to Acrobat Reader or whichever program you prefer.

To find this go to Settings: System: Default Apps and then select "Choose default applications by file type" towards the bottom of the page.

philc43, Nov 28, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Note that changing users file associations to MS default without warning or notification in the November 10586 upgrade is an intrinsic 'feature'. (That upgrade was done in the manner of a new Windows installation, and will have created a Windows.old folder). So you may well find others.

This is well documented in the technical press to MS's embarrassment.

There will likely be two such upgrades next year. Will MS have learnt from this?

Defensive action for next time? See this, maybe.
    Default App Associations - Export and Import for New Users in Windows - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  7. pewe Win User
    Thanks guys but I have already set the default program for pdf as Acrobat - but Windows10 ignores this and on double click opens pdf files with Edge.

That's the problem.

How to set default pdf reader [​IMG]

8. dalchina New Member

Have you tried setting the default using the old control panel?

- or from within Acrobat R?
    - or using rt click and open with? (I'll include that for completeness as it's mentioned above)

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  9. philc43 Win User
    I think @dalchina may have the answer. Go into Acrobat Reader and select File -> Preferences. On the General preferences click the button at the bottom that has "Select As Default PDF Handler". Also make sure the box is ticked that says Tell me if Acrobat Reader DC is not my default PDF application.

philc43, Nov 28, 2015
  10. pewe Win User
    Those didn't work *Mad

Setting it in Acrobat Reader did the trick. *cake

Thanks guys.

Thema:

1. How to set default pdf reader - Similar Threads - set default pdf

2. Set Firefox as default .pdf reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Firefox as default .pdf reader: I used to use Firefox as my default .pdf reader. Somehow, the default app was changed to Evernote. When I went to Default App Settings for .pdf files, Edge of course, Chrome, and Opera were listed as options but not Firefox. How do I add Firefox as an option for my default...
  3. Set Firefox as default .pdf reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set Firefox as default .pdf reader: I used to use Firefox as my default .pdf reader. Somehow, the default app was changed to Evernote. When I went to Default App Settings for .pdf files, Edge of course, Chrome, and Opera were listed as options but not Firefox. How do I add Firefox as an option for my default...
  4. Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge: I have a computer in my organization that keeps switching the default PDF reader to Edge. We have wiped the profile and rebuilt it, replaced the laptop with a new fresh image to no avail. The users default PDF reader keeps switching from Adobe DC Pro to Edge. We do not...
  5. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Ok so my English textbooks are pdfs. usually I would use Adobe Acrobat Reader, but one of the textbooks is 500+ pages long, and its sooo slow! ive tried edge, chrome, etc, but none of them work because its simply too big! Should I print it?...
  6. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Looking for a simple pdf reader nothing complicated. I just want it for reading pdf. windows 10 home. simple question I hope. Thank You. David. 124877
  7. Changing default PDF reader

Changing default PDF reader: I have two PDF reader files installed. The first is Adobe Reader which is required by specific programs issued by the Australian Taxation Office - NO other reader is permitted or works. The second, and my preferred reader is Nuance Power PDF Standard. I want the second...
  8. default pdf reader

default pdf reader: I had foxit, it would not open pdf files as default, edge, firefox, chrome, they all opened as default depending which browser I was using. Uninstalled foxit, removed all traces with revo uninstaller. Reinstalled foxit as default. Went to apps and made foxit default....
  9. Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.

Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.: Hi, I've been looking for a solution for my problem for months now. Since I have Windows 10 on my computer, the default pdf-reader is constantly changed back to Microsoft Edge, despite all my attempts to make Acrobat Reader DC my default one. I have made the change of...
  10. Another Default PDF reader issue.

Another Default PDF reader issue.: I have a new Dell Optiplex running Win10 on a Win2008r2 domain. Resetting file association for pdf's from the Windows 10 viewer to Adobe Acrobat DC works temporarily. Usually after a reboot, but sometimes even during the day, Win10 resets the default pdf viewer back to the...