Windows 10: How to set default refresh rate

Discus and support How to set default refresh rate in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I switch between 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 and viceversa quite frequently. However, when I do this, Windows sets the refresh rate to 30hz, instead of 60.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by sauronnikko, Apr 24, 2017.

1. How to set default refresh rate

I switch between 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 and viceversa quite frequently. However, when I do this, Windows sets the refresh rate to 30hz, instead of 60. I need to manually set it to 60 each time I change resolution.

Is there a way to set a default refresh rate so that changing resolution won't result on a change of refresh rate?

P.S. My monitor does support 60hz on both 1920x1080, 3840x2160, so that isn't the issue

:)

sauronnikko, Apr 24, 2017
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

How to set default monitor refresh rate?

Hello Colofmeister,

We understand that you want more options in managing your display's screen refresh rate to improve performance and gameplay experience. This setting depends on your display monitor, display graphics hardware, and it's software drivers.

Furthermore, the available display modes are set by your software drivers provided by the manufacturer of your device. We recommend that you get in contact with them to get the best assistance regarding this matter. You may refer to this support article
    to help you find your:
    Computer manufacturers' contact information

Regards.

Ferdz Amp, Apr 24, 2017
  3. How to set default monitor refresh rate?

I got a 144hz monitor for christmas this year, which is a big upgrade from my old 60hz. I got it working to 144hz, but whenever I change my screen resolution, it defaults back to 60hz, I didn't notice this at first and just thought 144hz wasn't as noticeable
    as everyone made it out to be. My reasons for changing my screen resolution are hard to explain, CSGO players understand why though. The point is that I need to change my resolution for personal reasons in this game, yet whenever I do, windows changes the
    refresh rate to 60hz, and if I then make it 144hz and revert my resolution back to normal, the refresh rate is 60 again. Is there some setting where I can set the default refresh rate for this monitor or am I just going to have to deal with this forever? When
    restarting my computer the refresh rate stays the same, it only happens when I change my resolution.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

Colofmeister, Apr 24, 2017
  4. mQ573 Win User

How to set default refresh rate

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  5. My display adapter also supports those resolutions/refresh rates combinations

6. mQ573 Win User
    Good to know. How did you expect us to guess that's was?

Please explain how you switch and how to you find the refresh rate.

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  7. I'm sorry, I think you might have misread my original post. It seems you believe I said I solved the issue, but I didn't say that

In any case, I switch resolutions by right-mouse clicking in Desktop - > Display Settings -> Resolution.

I change refresh rate by right-mouse clicking in Desktop - > Display Settings -> Display Adapter Properties -> Monitor -> Screen Refresh Rate.

Just to be clear: I want my refresh rate to remain the same when changing resolutions.

8. mQ573 Win User

Which is the one of 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 resolutions Windows is setting the refresh rate to? Or both?

Just to confirm. Please post a screenshot after clicking in Desktop - > Display Settings -> Display Adapter Properties -> List all modes showing clearly both 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 resolutions. Maybe you'll need 2 screenshots.

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  9. Both. When I'm in 1920x1080x60hz and change to 3840x2160, Windows sets the refresh rate to 30hz. When I'm in 3840x2160x60hz and change to 1920x1080 Windows sets the rate to 30hz.

I've uploaded two screenshots. They list the relevant modes:

How to set default refresh rate [​IMG]

10. mQ573 Win User
    At first glance: the 30Hz refresh rate for 1920x1080 is for Interlaced video, which is almost certainly not what you're using, but would be equivalent to a 60Hz frequency.

Interlaced video is a technique for doubling the perceived frame rate of a video display without consuming extra bandwidth. See more at Interlaced video - Wikipedia.

So, in Advanced Display Settings, when you look at the available resolutions in the drop down list, what do you see? Screeshot please.

Try changing your resolution by selecting it from the drop down list in Desktop - > Display Settings -> Display Adapter Properties -> List all modes

And report back.

Incidentally, what adverse effects are you experiencing with such alleged changes in frequency rates. I say alleged because you should not always blindly believe what windows tells you. *Wink

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  11. Well, at 30hz, there's less fluidity. It bothers me.

Here's a screenshot of the resolution dropdown:

12. mQ573 Win User
    So you see, according to your screenshot, you have no control at all over the refresh rate. Which was to be expected anyway.

Did you try changing your resolution by selecting it from the drop down list in Desktop - > Display Settings -> Display Adapter Properties -> List all modes ?

mQ573, Apr 24, 2017
  13. How to set default refresh rate

I've no control in the resolutions dropdown, and of course I can select the exact mode I want from List all modes.

But what I'm trying to accomplish is for Windows to recognize 60hz as the default refresh rate when changing resolutions (when I'm not specifying the refresh rate).

That comes in handy when running applications (mostly games) which let you select resolutions but not refresh rates. And yes, those applications do support the resolution/60hz combination I want for them.

So that's why this thread is titled "How to set a default refresh rate". If it's no possible, then so be it. But I could swear that before the Windows Creator's update, changing resolutions didn't lower my refresh rate.

14. mQ573 Win User
    You may be right there. So in such case it would be a matter of changing the adapter driver Creators selected for you. Try to use the old one if you can.

Because there is no way I know of to change whatever setting outside of what your driver allows.

mQ573, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set default refresh rate - Similar Threads - set default refresh

2. Missing refresh rate in display settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing refresh rate in display settings: I have a monitor with 144hz frequency that successfully recognized by one laptop, but not recognized by another one. It has only 60hz option. The same hdmi cable has been used. Rechecked on win 10 and win 11....
  3. Accidentally Set Unsupported Refresh Rate.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally Set Unsupported Refresh Rate.: I accidentally set a unsupported refresh rate using the screen resolution page advanced settings.I am unable to change it.I even did a clean install of the intel software but it didn't fix.Please help me.I am using windows 7 sp1.My graphics card is Intel HD graphics...
  4. Accidentally Set Unsupported Refresh Rate.

Accidentally Set Unsupported Refresh Rate.: I accidentally set a unsupported refresh rate using the screen resolution page advanced settings.I am unable to change it.I even did a clean install of the intel software but it didn't fix.Please help me.I am using windows 7 sp1.My graphics card is Intel HD graphics...
  5. Refresh rate

Refresh rate: Hi allI had a question about changing refresh rate on windows 11. I have a lenovo thinkpad if that helps. So I wanted to change the refresh rate to 60Hz and I did but after a few minutes it auto changed to 48 again. It keeps happening and I have no idea how to fix it so can...
  6. Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Refresh Rate: So Im Trying To Connect A Display But I Cant Cause My Refresh Rate Is 60.070 Idk What To Do Ive Tried Other Drivers Updating And Uninstalling It But It Just Wont Change To 60Hz Please Help!...
  7. Refresh Rate

Refresh Rate: So Im Trying To Connect A Display But I Cant Cause My Refresh Rate Is 60.070 Idk What To Do Ive Tried Other Drivers Updating And Uninstalling It But It Just Wont Change To 60Hz Please Help!...
  8. Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Refresh Rate

Refresh Rate: Hey all, Using the three monitor configuration with my WFH surface unit. My computer supports a higher refresh rate than it displays. Do I need to change some particular settings? I have tried all possible settings so far....
  10. Refresh rate

Refresh rate: I always change my refresh rate of monitor to 60hz but everytime i start after shut down or sleep mode it automatically changes to 144hz .Please help. How to permanently change refresh rate to 60hz....