Windows 10: How to set different network locations

Discus and support How to set different network locations in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I'm at home I want to have static IP set - I use 192.168.1.10 for this laptop for example. When I'm out of the house (and connected to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lx07, Sep 23, 2015.

1. lx07 Win User

How to set different network locations

When I'm at home I want to have static IP set - I use 192.168.1.10 for this laptop for example.

When I'm out of the house (and connected to a different public Wifi) I want to not use the static IP but let the place I connect to choose it. Today it was 192.168.2.xxx. With my static IP it doesn't work - I don't get a connection.

Can I set something so I don't have to change the adapter setting every time? That is when I'm at home I use my static IP, in Starbucks it can pick one?

On OSX you can swap "location" between "Automatic" (the router picks your IP address) and "Home" (you pick your IP address) for example. I'd like to do that in Windows if it is possible.

:)

2. Sync to different Outlooks at different locations

I have a Dell Pocket PC ( Axim X30). Currently I sync to my Outlook 2003 at home through a partnership. Is there a way to sync the same partnership at work, with that Outlook?

robertthew, Sep 23, 2015
  3. Sync to different Outlooks at different locations

You can sync indeed with a second desktop with the same profile,

Johan van Mierlo, Sep 23, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Why don't you set the static IP for your Laptop from the LAN section in your home router where the IP is tied to the MAC ID at home and set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" in your laptop adapter.

topgundcp, Sep 23, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    Because I dual boot OSX and Windows 10. Both use the same Wifi Adapter (and so the same MAC) and I want to separate them so I can set up shared folders.

So I set up these at home:
    192.168.1.10 for Windows 10 (and also when I run the same Windows 10 as VM through VMWare Fusion as VM with OSX host)
    192.168.1.11 for Windows 10 when I boot it as VHDX (I've not figured if I can keep the same yet)
    192.168.1.12 for OSX

When I leave the house and use public Wifi I have to use 192.168.2.xxx (the 2 is from sharing like on the FON network).

So I would like to keep the above set-up at home and when I'm out of the house allow the network I connect to chose without having to type it all in again when I get home.

Hope this makes sense as I really know nothing about networking...

6. topgundcp Win User
  7. lx07 Win User
    Thanks for the link but it's not really my issue (I think I didn't explain well). I can set-up the IP OK.

What I'd like is some switch so I can say "I'm at home" and it will apply all my static IP definitions or "I'm out" and it will set the TCP/IPv4 to "Obtain an IP address automatically".

It's all working OK - it is just annoying to have to keep typing in the static IP into the network adapter properties when I come home.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set different network locations - Similar Threads - set different network

2. How to set different wallpaper for different monitors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set different wallpaper for different monitors?: I've looked through every setting on my computer and every forum on a couple sites, none of them have answered my question.I'm trying to set a different wall paper for each of my three monitors. But every time I go into the personalization settings and right click on a...
  3. How to set different wallpaper for different monitors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set different wallpaper for different monitors?: I've looked through every setting on my computer and every forum on a couple sites, none of them have answered my question.I'm trying to set a different wall paper for each of my three monitors. But every time I go into the personalization settings and right click on a...
  4. How to Set the Priorty of different Network Adapters in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Set the Priorty of different Network Adapters in Windows 11: I got the same question as posted in this one. However, there is no such a place to change it in Windows 11. It seems like this function is removed in win11:...
  5. How to Set the Priorty of different Network Adapters in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Set the Priorty of different Network Adapters in Windows 11: I got the same question as posted in this one. However, there is no such a place to change it in Windows 11. It seems like this function is removed in win11:...
  6. WIN10: Set up backup, network location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN10: Set up backup, network location: Despite my PC being synced to OneDrive, I'd like to be able to use OneDrive 1Tb with Microsoft 365 subscription to keep a couple of latest backups, if possible. But, as I don't know how to do that, I'd appreciate some help. Here's a screenshot: [ATTACH]...
  7. Set default printer by network location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set default printer by network location: Some version of Windows, I believe it was 7, was able to set the default printer based on the network location. Lenovo tools also offered such a feat including setting the Home page based on network. Somehow this feature is no longer active. Let windows manage the default...
  8. Set network for filesharing and different network (wifi) for internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set network for filesharing and different network (wifi) for internet: Hello folks! I am having trouble in setting up my home network vs. my internet connection via WiFi. I have two PCs which I connected directly with a twisted pair LAN cable. Both PCs are also connected to my modem/wifi router via wifi antennas. My appartment is not suitable...
  9. Different temp location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Different temp location: What's the difference between C/windows/temp Vs Appdata/local/temp Experts reply it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-temp-location/643dd8a4-36f4-4d3f-b66d-eabe2e01f6e7"
  10. Setting Icons for Network Locations in W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting Icons for Network Locations in W10: I am trying to set the .ico for my network drive in Network Locations of File Explorer. I'd like the custom .ico to show in Network Locations across all PCs that have added the network resource. I tried: - Right-clicking and Properties to change folder picture, however the...