Windows 10: How to set MS Office 2016 to open links in Firefox (default browser)?

Discus and support How to set MS Office 2016 to open links in Firefox (default browser)? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Howdy: How do I configure MS Office 2016 Pro Plus (specifically Word, but also PPT, Excel, Pub) to open embedded hyperlinks in my default browser,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by MoxieMomma, Jul 27, 2016.

1. How to set MS Office 2016 to open links in Firefox (default browser)?

Howdy:

How do I configure MS Office 2016 Pro Plus (specifically Word, but also PPT, Excel, Pub) to open embedded hyperlinks in my default browser, Firefox, under Win10/Pro?

Yes, Firefox is properly configured everywhere I know to look as the default browser.
    Edge is disabled as a background app. I do not use the MS Store and I do not have a MS account.

>>When I click an embedded hyperlink in a document, I am prompted to go out to the Store to get an app to open the link, instead of the link's opening in Firefox. *Huh
    >>EDIT: I should add that the document in question was originally created with MS Word 2010, not Word 2016. I do not know if that matters? (And I have not yet tried to reproduce the behavior on a new document created in Word 2016.)

I've looked around at tutorials here, as well as Uncle Google, to no avail.
    I must be missing something somewhere.

Thanks in advance,
    MM

:)

MoxieMomma, Jul 27, 2016
  2. DonMagor Win User

Windows 10 does not remember "How do you want to open this file" choices.

I just purchased office 2016, and Outlook always asks me to choose an app when I try to open a webmail link, even though I have ticked the "Always use this app" box. I use Windows 10, and Firefox is my default browser (FYI, Edge or IE will not be my default
    until there is an Android version available as well). I have found solutions in the Microsoft community when IE is default, but nothing for other options. How do I get it to remember to use either Firefox or Chrome in the meantime?

Move from: Office / Outlook / Windows 10 / Office 2016

DonMagor, Jul 27, 2016
  3. Win 10 update 2016-08-03

Today's update (2016-08-03) won't let me select default browser, photo program, etc., etc. Shall we assume apologies will be forthcoming with update of update? In the meantime, when I open firefox, i just select it as the default browser, which switches
    me to settings, which won't accept firefox.

jimthompson, Jul 27, 2016
  4. shimshom Win User

How to set MS Office 2016 to open links in Firefox (default browser)?

shimshom, Jul 27, 2016
  5. Thanks, but that's for a different issue.
    I'm not trying to change the search provider.
    I'm trying to get Office 2016 to call the default browser, Firefox, from a link embedded in a document.

Thanks, though.
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 27, 2016
  6. shimshom Win User
    Sorry I thought it might also change the browser it opens. In my office 2016 it opens Cyberfox which is set as the default browser and I didn't have to change anything else to make it open links in Cyberfox Have you tried to manually set the defaults for the .htm and .html filetypes

shimshom, Jul 27, 2016
  7. That is what I am trying to accomplish, but using Firefox.
    I have a feeling the issue may be related to the fact that the document in question was originally created in Office 2010.
    I do not have time to test it right now, but I need to see if I get the same behavior for a new document created from scratch in Office 2016.

Yes, thanks. Firefox is the default browser and it's set as the default app for .htm and .html file types.

Still hoping for a solution.
    The workaround is to copy/paste the embedded link into Firefox, but that is clumsy.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 27, 2016
  8. How to set MS Office 2016 to open links in Firefox (default browser)?

Update:

It looks as if it's only problem with certain DOI links to scientific journal articles.
    Regular links open fine.

This is not a problem under Win7 and Office 2010.
    So, this may be some sort of bug with Win10 and/or Office 2016 handling of those DOI links.

Will troubleshoot further when I have more time, unless someone knows a good fix.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to set MS Office 2016 to open links in Firefox (default browser)?

1. How to set MS Office 2016 to open links in Firefox (default browser)? - Similar Threads - set Office 2016

2. How to set up the Default Font in Office 2016 Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set up the Default Font in Office 2016 Word: Whenever I open Word in office 2016 pro and look at the Home page, the Font is already set upWith Calibri Body 11….How do I change that to Arial 13 and set it to be my default?It's really a pain to have that set up to read...Any help/assistance will really be greatfulI'm...
  3. How to set up the Default Font in Office 2016 Word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set up the Default Font in Office 2016 Word: Whenever I open Word in office 2016 pro and look at the Home page, the Font is already set upWith Calibri Body 11….How do I change that to Arial 13 and set it to be my default?It's really a pain to have that set up to read...Any help/assistance will really be greatfulI'm...
  4. How to set MS Office Professional 2010 as default

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to set MS Office Professional 2010 as default: My friend's (Win 10) laptop says "you do not have OFFICE" installed when she tries to open email attachments. Today she installed MS Office 2010 and is still getting the same message when trying to open attachments. How can she set the newly installed 2010 edition as default....
  5. How to set Firefox as the default browser?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set Firefox as the default browser?: I noticed Firefox is no longer listed as a choice for my default browser. I'm old school. I know. [ATTACH] Anyone know of a workaround? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-firefox-as-the-default-browser/f073b2eb-2699-49a4-90a8-ccf381b41cb0
  6. how set Firefox as default web browser

how set Firefox as default web browser: Although I have it loaded, it doesn't show up as an option in the default app or in the "choose default app" section. Plus, I even have trouble loading it. I realize they'd rather I not use it, but I'd sure like the choice....
  7. MS Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Office 2016: Where can I download Office Pro Plus 2016. I Have it and have Key for it but takes a long time to download. want to have Disk Image of it. 140675
  8. set firefox as default browser in windows 10

set firefox as default browser in windows 10: I have firefox installed and use it as my browser. I want to set it as my default browser in Windows 10 but it does not appear as an option in the browser selection box. How do I get it into the browser selection box?...
  9. Links don't open in default browser

Links don't open in default browser: I have Firefox set as my default browser, but clicking on links opens Chrome instead of Firefox. Firefox is set as the default in Windows 10 and shows as the default in both Firefox and Chrome....
  10. Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser: I've been able to set Firefox as my default browser before, but recently after reinstalling FireFox, Wi10 is simply not allowing me to set a default browser at all (other than default - Edge). wMeEdfGBsTk 51099

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to make firefox default hyperlink in MS office

2. Set default browser for excel 2016 links on windows 10

3. office 2016 firefox default browser

4. how to hyperlink a email address in office 2016 so it opens as a return in composefor firefox,
  5. outlook email link opens ie 11 to a blank page instead of website in windows 10 64-bit professional