Windows 10: How to set new password on my local account

Discus and support How to set new password on my local account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Something in Windows 10 changed my local account password, locking me out. I managed to logon with my "Windows Account" (I have only vague ideas what... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Swifty, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Swifty Win User

How to set new password on my local account

Something in Windows 10 changed my local account password, locking me out.
    I managed to logon with my "Windows Account" (I have only vague ideas what this is) and I've saved as many of my EFS encrypted files as I can remember.

What I can't do is find a way to reset the password to my local account. I have three local accounts, and they are all Administrators. But no matter who I logon as, I can't find the option to set my local account (steve) password.

When I go through the process as it was on Windows 7, I get to the point where I should be able to change steve's password, but it's not one of the choices.

Can I get my userid and password back without having to delete the account and re-creating it?

:)

Swifty, Aug 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 Password Reset Incomplete

I upgraded my new laptop to Windows 10 and set up my account with my msn account. I wanted to use a different login for the laptop (not my email password) and was switching the login to local setting the desired password. In this process I was logged
    off, now neither password works (incorrect password) and there are no other accounts set up on the system. How can I reset or get access to an admin account?

ANNEROEHRL, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Rohn007, Aug 12, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

WhyMe, Aug 12, 2015
  5. Swifty Win User
    I expected trouble, and I wasn't disappointed.

I chose option two: Reset password of any local account in Netplwiz
    I start netplwiz and there is no "Steve" user name in the list.

So, assuming there is no local user "Steve", I try to add one. It gets named "Steve_2". I'll bet that the user "steve.j.swift@gmail.com" has got user name Steve. I'll bet that I'm right royally stuffed.

I'm on the brink of rolling back from Windows 10 to Windows 7, but I'm betting that would make this mess I'm in even worse...

Swifty, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set new password on my local account - Similar Threads - set password local

2. How to setup new local account password for windows 11 without microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to setup new local account password for windows 11 without microsoft account?: I am unable to get my windows 11 local account password or setting up new local account password. any help is highly appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-new-local-account-password-for/a8b896fb-c173-4f22-98ea-7a164dc1e752
  3. How to setup new local account password for windows 11 without microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to setup new local account password for windows 11 without microsoft account?: I am unable to get my windows 11 local account password or setting up new local account password. any help is highly appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-new-local-account-password-for/a8b896fb-c173-4f22-98ea-7a164dc1e752
  4. I forgot my local accounts password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I forgot my local accounts password: Hello, i forgot the password for my local account of my computer I've tried everything, but the rest password disc dosent work, the security questions i answered are my real things, like first pet ect but it dosent work. Please help this is the administrator account and my...
  5. I forgot my local accounts password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I forgot my local accounts password: Hello, i forgot the password for my local account of my computer I've tried everything, but the rest password disc dosent work, the security questions i answered are my real things, like first pet ect but it dosent work. Please help this is the administrator account and my...
  6. I forgot my local accounts password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. Can't remember my local account password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't remember my local account password: Hello!I can't remember my password for my local account. Luckily I put on AutoAdminLogOn when I got my computer, but when I want to change some settings, I can't cause I don't remember my password. There suppose to be DefaultPassword stored in...
  8. Set a Password Expiration Date for Microsoft Account and Local Account

in Windows 10 News
    Set a Password Expiration Date for Microsoft Account and Local Account: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Most of us have a habit of keeping using the same password for a long time. It’s dangerous, mainly if the password is in use at multiple places. It is possible that in a security breach, the password was open [...] This post Set a Password Expiration Date...
  9. how to reset password on my pc that is a local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to reset password on my pc that is a local account: i have a toshiba laptop that i havent used for awhile i forgot the password. told me to go to account.live.com i tried still i cant . then i tried adding the pc device to my microsift account but i cant because i cant get in my pc. how do i reset the password or reset the...
  10. forgot my password , local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    forgot my password , local account: I used to have the setting turned on so that every time my computer sleeps, i needed to enter a password. i turned it off so that i could just log in and out with 1 click, because i was planning to bring it into a repair shop for service, i did not want to have to tell them...