Windows 10: How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10?

Discus and support How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am troubleshooting a problem with odd black screens when installing AMD video card drivers in Windows 10. ref. Black screen when installing AMD video... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fritz Fraghof, Apr 15, 2016.

1. How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10?

I am troubleshooting a problem with odd black screens when installing AMD video card drivers in Windows 10. ref. Black screen when installing AMD video drivers - Windows 10 Forums

Anyway, I was thinking of quickly installing Windows 7 on a spare partition, so I can better see (or rule out) if the graphic card hardware is the issue.

Are there any issues I should be aware of setting up a dual boot when 10 is already installed? I am no expert, and I'm a bit worried the the Windows 7 install will mess up the Windows 10 master boot record. It will be the same physical drive, but a different partition.

I will probably want to restore the boot configuration to Windows 10 only after testing.

:)

Fritz Fraghof, Apr 15, 2016

2. How to dual boot Windows 7 on Windows 10?

Original title: Windows 7 on Windows 10

Hi Guys,

My laptop comes with a pre installed windows 10 which i do not want to disturb, alongside i want to dual boot Windows 7 with the pre existing windows 10. IS there a way to do it, If yes, any risks? Your help is much appricieted

subashmukhirala, Apr 15, 2016
  3. Set up dual boot with Windows 7 after upgrading to Windows 10?

I upgraded to Windows 10 when it first launched. Ever since then. I've been having an issue with my computer freezing and my monitors going black. I suspect that this is a Windows 10 issue, as I was not having this problem with Windows 7.

I want to try running my system under Windows 7 to confirm my theory.

However, as it has been over a month now, I no longer have the option to go back to Windows 7 and redo the installation as a dual boot.

I'd rather just fix the problem, but, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Without wiping my system, is there a way to do this?

David Henderson72, Apr 15, 2016
  4. Fafhrd Win User

How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10?

Solved Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot - Windows 10 Forums

The above shows the fix if installing Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 breaks the Windows 10 boot.

Another useful tool is EasyBCD - register the non-commercial full version free:

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Fafhrd, Apr 15, 2016
  5. I'm not a fan of dual-booting, but since this is a temporary install, why not just pull your Windows 10 drive and install a spare for Windows 7. Do your testing and then remove the temp drive, replacing it with your Windows 10 drive. Guaranteed not to damage the 10 drive's install.

DeaconFrost, Apr 17, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    ]

I like this idea.

Rocky, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10?

1. How to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 with pre-existing 10? - Similar Threads - set dual boot

2. dual boot win 7 stuck up on set up on win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual boot win 7 stuck up on set up on win 10: have win 10 home edition with inspiron 15 3000dual boot all the step but froze when set up and had shut down many times now what https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-win-7-stuck-up-on-set-up-on-win-10/9b34a228-77b2-49e1-a75a-e2fca4cfdeb0
  3. How to install Windows 7 alongside an already existing Windows 10 and Ubuntu dual boot...

How to install Windows 7 alongside an already existing Windows 10 and Ubuntu dual boot...: I have Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 installed in a dual boot configuration on my PC, and when I boot it up, GNU Grub v2.02 pops up asking me which of the 2 operating system I want to go in with some other options such as memtest86, is there any way I can add to that list a...
  4. Setting up dual boot with Windows 10

Setting up dual boot with Windows 10: I have a new SSD with 500gb with Windows 7 installed on it. I have an old SSD with 128GB, empty. I want to move the content of the bigger SSD to the smaller one (there's enough space) while maintaining the installation of Windows 7, and install an additional operating...
  5. Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install

Windows 10/XP Dual Boot with pre-existing 10 install: I've been working on capturing all of my old camcorder footage. Unfortunately, I need FireWire capability for that. Very few motherboards put out since the 1156 socket set have come with FireWire. I purchased an add-on card from Amazon and have it successfully setup in my...
  6. setting up Win 7/Win 10 dual-boot

setting up Win 7/Win 10 dual-boot: Hello everybody, So I'm really out of ideas when it comes to this, but let me try to explain the situation really quick and simple. I have a laptop, running Win 7 Pro x64 on a mSATA SSD 60GB drive (let's call it drive A). The other hard disk on my laptop is a 1TB...
  7. How set up a temporary dual boot

How set up a temporary dual boot: Have my new Win 10 Pro system up and running...so far so good....except for networking ?? However...I forgot to keep track of my passwords/acct records...etc for a number of programs on Win 7 that I am putting back onto Win 10...passwords...registrations keys...etc Can...
  8. How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10

How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10: Here are the things that should be taken into consideration: Windows 10 currently installed UEFI (Legacy/BIOS is supported but I do not prefer using it as it may cause more problems in the future) 1 Hard Disk Drive Goals: Install Windows 7 on another partition Maintain...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  10. Windows 10 upgrade on existing Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Dual Boot

Windows 10 upgrade on existing Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Dual Boot: I currently have a system running legitimate copies of windows 7 &8.1 on separate partitions on the same drive. Not using any special boot loader, just dual boot menu in windows. Would like to know the best way to upgrade the windows 8.1 while keeping the windows 7 install...