Windows 10: How to set up a router in my home office when I am traveling.

Discus and support How to set up a router in my home office when I am traveling. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I currently work from a home office in NY. Because of the type of work I do, I am technically supposed to be physically in NY when I am working from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by clueless123, Nov 29, 2017.

1. How to set up a router in my home office when I am traveling.

I currently work from a home office in NY. Because of the type of work I do, I am technically supposed to be physically in NY when I am working from home.

I have a second house in NJ that I would like to work from occasionally and would prefer not to use all those IP address spoofing sites. I also cannot really use remote desktop in Windows because I use 4 monitors and it gets choppy. I had the following idea:

When I am in NJ, can I set my NJ router to talk to the NY (not the computer) and essentially have it pass along information like a middle man? That way all the information still seems as though it is originating from my home office in NY?

I have an Arris SBG6782 it is makes a difference. I'm not even sure what the term is for what I want to do..."remote router use"? Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

clueless123, Nov 29, 2017

2. Laptop stays connected to home network

This is kind of a silly question, but my computer remains connected to my home network even when I am at my office. I have it set my laptop up to "automatically connect" to my home network. If I completely shutdown my computer, take it to my office, and
    reboot I am still connected to my home network with "limited access." I have to manually disconnect from my home network and reconnect to my work network. This isn't that big of a deal, but my lazy self would like to travel to work and have my laptop automatically
    connect to my workplace network. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

TonyMelcher, Nov 29, 2017
  3. Emilio C. Win User
    I am wrongly set up as a Child in My Family set up - how Can I change to a Parent profile

Hi Philippe BIAUD,

It is right that you can’t configure your daughter as a child related to your account, if you have been set up as a Child on your Microsoft account.

To fix this situation there are various options, depending on how your account have been set up as Child account.

- Your account is recognized as child account by the system according to the date of birth putted in.

If this is the case you can try to change your D.O.B. by logging in with your account into the following link:

account.live.com

There you can edit your personal information. Please make sure to fill out as much Information as possible, specially your D.O.B., Region and time zone.

- If your account is set up as the child account of a parent account you have to remove it from that parent account by logging in to the following link with the access information from the parent account:

Familisafety

There you will find your child account, if it was set up as child of this parent account. You have to click on the child and select on the top menu “remove family member”.

If this information does not help you to fix your issue please provide more information on how your account is configured as child account.

Kind regards,

Emilio

Emilio C., Nov 29, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How to set up a router in my home office when I am traveling.

You want a router that offers a VPN server - virtual private network. Any router that offers VPN server should also offer a DDNS server. The way it works is that the router sends your public IP address to an internet server such as no-ip.com. That converts it to a domain name such as L: your_name@no-ip.com. You install the matching VPN client software on your computer which is usually openvpn with the security certificates that you will download from the VPN server on your home router. Then anywhere you have internet that allows VPN pass through - and almost all internet connections do including hotels, libraries, McDonald's WiFi, your NJ home internet, you activate the VPN client and it connects your computer to your router in NY just like it was connected to one of the ports on it or via WiFi.

An example is Netgear R7000:

How to set up a router in my home office when I am traveling. [​IMG]

How to set up a router in my home office when I am traveling. [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Since your Arris SBG6782 is also your cable modem, you will need to set it in bridge mode, and then connect a router with VPN server behind it:
    Consumers - SBG6782 (v8.4.x): Bridge Mode Setup

That's the way my setup is, I have a cable modem with built-in Ethernet router and WiFi, but it's set to bridge mode, with my R7000 then connected behind it which provides my WiFi and Ethernet connections and my VPN server that I can connect to remotely.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2017
  6. Thanks for your help. I'll give that a try. Much appreciated.

7. cereberus Win User
    I am not sure we should help any more on this as we are actively encouraging a person to violate a company restriction. It sounds to me like this could possibly be sensitive work e.g. defense/military work, and we may be encouraging user to commit a crime?
    @Brink, @essenbe - your thoughts on this?

cereberus, Nov 29, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Personally I think your reading more into than there really is. I also don't see, anywhere in this thread about, as you say "defense/military work". No govt entity in there right mind will allow a work at home employee. Then again I could be wrong. But, you may be on to something with "company restriction" as the OP states he/she is supposed to be in one place to work and then work somewhere else. Other than that I cant see anything wrong.

Plankton, Nov 29, 2017
  9. Plankton Win User
    I like this.....

Plankton, Nov 29, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    I did say e.g.

I have never known a company say you must work from a specific Home, but I could see that possibly in commercially or government sensitive work. IMO there is more to this than meets the eye.

cereberus, Nov 29, 2017
  11. Not military or defense work at all. The issue my company is only registered to do business in NY.

12. cereberus Win User
    Then you are potentially putting company at commercial risk. You should seek permission first.

cereberus, Nov 29, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

So. That has zero to do with it's employees when they may be required to be on the road or work while out of town during a family emergency.

Any hardware VPN solution that is on the lower end Gateways are not going to work for what you want, because they are not really true servers and security appliances. When you set up a VPN between your laptop to the company, it does not matter if you are in a hotel room or a beach house. To the other end, you are on their network, the phone would still go through the VPN it is set up with and appear on the company network.

The only thing that you cannot do if you are not licensed in that state. You cannot just meet people somewhere or sell the products from residents who live in the state that you happen to be at. You can still work with your clients in your company home state and their lawyers I am sure have already addressed this concern about Road Warriors.

Going from where you are in Jersey to your place in NY, then to the company. You would not be able to get anything done, because your upload from Jersey to NY would be very limited, unless you are planning on paying for 1000mbps or 100mbps upload and download.

Anything else, talk to your bosses and IT to see if they have any problems about working at your Jersey location with those accounts in NY. If they try to not be clear, then pick up the phone and call the licensing organization for the state that you received those licenses in and they will pretty much sum up what I stated.

If you want decent hardware, ditch the Leased eMTA from your provider for Internet, and build a system out like I did with mine. I used to run the Cisco RV320, but took it out of my network when I no longer needed the VPN server access. I use a Engenius EAP1750H and it gives me wired speeds and I can go up to 150 feet away, which at that distance, I start to see 10mbps speeds.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set up a router in my home office when I am traveling. - Similar Threads - set router home

2. SSID are missing when i travel to my office from home.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSID are missing when i travel to my office from home.: Currently experiencing an issue where my HP X360 G8 1040 laptop shows all available SSIDs on my home network and neighbors. But as soon as I come into my office, all the SSIDs are missing. Occurs with both versions of the Wi-Fi driversCurrent Driver version- IntelR Wi-Fi 6...
  3. SSID are missing when i travel to my office from home.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSID are missing when i travel to my office from home.: Currently experiencing an issue where my HP X360 G8 1040 laptop shows all available SSIDs on my home network and neighbors. But as soon as I come into my office, all the SSIDs are missing. Occurs with both versions of the Wi-Fi driversCurrent Driver version- IntelR Wi-Fi 6...
  4. I am trying to connect to the internet, via my wireless router, but nothing comes up when I...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I am trying to connect to the internet, via my wireless router, but nothing comes up when I...: I cannot connect to the internet....I don't have the option to click on a wireless network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-trying-to-connect-to-the-internet-via-my/df65ef95-9951-41aa-a6f7-2b9d5efcf8f3
  5. I am trying to connect to the internet, via my wireless router, but nothing comes up when I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to connect to the internet, via my wireless router, but nothing comes up when I...: I cannot connect to the internet....I don't have the option to click on a wireless network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-trying-to-connect-to-the-internet-via-my/df65ef95-9951-41aa-a6f7-2b9d5efcf8f3
  6. I am trying to connect to the internet, via my wireless router, but nothing comes up when I...

7. Changing screens when traveled between home and office

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing screens when traveled between home and office: Dear fellow digitals,Due to the covid thingie we now have the possibility to work one day at home and anohter at the office.The setup I use contains a laptop, a docking station USB-C for laptop + 2DP for two screens and two additional screensMy setup in office is always like...
  8. Changing screens when traveled between home and office

Changing screens when traveled between home and office: Dear fellow digitals,Due to the covid thingie we now have the possibility to work one day at home and anohter at the office.The setup I use contains a laptop, a docking station USB-C for laptop + 2DP for two screens and two additional screensMy setup in office is always like...
  9. Changing screens when traveled between home and office

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Setting up NAS on Linksys router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up NAS on Linksys router: Just recently replaced my old Linksys EA6400 router with a new EA8300 router, and going through the config screens, I saw one where I could set up a NAS using a USB stick. So, I inserted a 64GB USB3 stick into the router, formatted it, and created folders on it. The Linksys...