Windows 10: how to set up my own cloud?

Discus and support how to set up my own cloud? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop PC, running on intel i5, 8GB RAM on windows 10 Home premium. I don't turn off my PC and I want to run a personal cloud so that I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tsw88, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Tsw88 Win User

how to set up my own cloud?

I have a desktop PC, running on intel i5, 8GB RAM on windows 10 Home premium. I don't turn off my PC and I want to run a personal cloud so that I can download files directly from my PC elsewhere. It's for my personal use only.

I'd like to know, 1. How to setup? Is it difficult? I have no knowledge on anything about this
    2. What would be the speed of download? What factor determines the download speed?

:)

Tsw88, Aug 11, 2017
  2. MShafin Win User
    MShafin, Aug 11, 2017
  3. How can I set-up parental controls on my own account for my child? I don't want to set-up a seperate account just for him.

Please help me figure out how to set-up parental controls on my own account for my child?

JessicaSchulman, Aug 11, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there @Tsw88. You'll need to get a DNS service to do this. Here are some articles to learn what DNS or DDNS is.

How To Easily Access Your Home Network From Anywhere With Dynamic DNS

Domain Name System - Wikipedia

Dynamic DNS - Wikipedia

Here is an older thread that has a link to a free DNS service or you may search for others. Your data service provider may have it as well.

Everything seems Going Pro (i.e PAY) - any Free equiv for DynDNS Solved - Windows 10 Forums

All in all using OneDrive or other cloud storage is simpler IMO, but of course your choice.

Tony K, Aug 12, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@Tsw88

That old last link was initiated by me AGES ago so might not be valid any more. I've solved it differently now.

actually a FREE and better way to do this is simply to run a batch job from your computer every 30 mins or so which gives you your current IP address and then auto email to your phone -- chances are in any case if computer is left on the IP address won't change. It probably will after any re-boots of course.

Not sure how to do it on Windows but it's easy enough on Linux with a cronjob set to run once every 2 hrs -- I've found that my IP address on my NAS server actually doesn't change unless I do a re-boot but that depends on the ISP of course.

I HATE having to pay for easy things which should be FREE -- that's all services like Dyndns do is simply essentially the same thing --collects your IP address and stores it on their server so alll you have to do is point your browser at that address and you get connected to your home machine.

Ensure on your Router PORT 3389 is forwarded to the machine you want to access if using RDP.

Then on the REMOTE computer simply use Remote Desktop and enter the IP address of your Home computer.

Set the HOME computer to allow access to shared resource and enable remote access.

Unfortunately though you can't use this method if the HOME COMPUTER is WINDOWS 10 HOME -- you'll need Windows 10 Pro.

Another option is to use ULTRAVNC or TIGHTVNC which allow access using a web browser --which could be "More user friendly".

I use Tightvnc on a Linux box for access -- works fine.

TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control / Remote Desktop Software

for Ultravnc

UltraVNC VNC OFFICIAL SITE, Remote Access, Support Software, Remote Desktop Control Free Opensource

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Pretty much all of the NAS (Network Attached Storage) offer you a way to get to the files stored on them and add files. Synology has their own app's and a cloud address that is only for your username. The NAS takes care of all of the hard work by telling Synology's system, which is spread throughout every country.

I have the DS216+2 with two 1TB hard drives and a external Fantom 3TB for backup storage. When you want to access the NAS, you use a unique name and then also you need your username and password that you assigned to yourself when you set the NAS up.

Even when I am at my in-laws and the wife has me pull something up. Our upload speed is about 6.5mbps and I have yet to have issues when pulling up a document.

bro67, Aug 12, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

That maybe but the OP is running Windows - and unless you have the facility built in (I don't like most NAS systems with proprietary OS'es in them anyway) you still need a decent way to get remote access without paying subscriptions etc.

For Tight VNC you'll also need to port forward --it DOES work with Windows HOME.

TightVNC Frequently Asked Questions

Cheers
    jimbo.

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Regardless of what OS they are using, the apps for getting into the NAS are mainly for the Mobile phone platforms. You get a direct to the NAS through Quick Connect, which keeps Synology's servers updated if your DNS changes at any time. I am not the only one on here that uses Synology, some use QNAP.

It has come down to doing it easy for someone that may struggle with how your other post would go over their heads and they may not come back if they feel that it is too complicated. Or just go easy like I did and pull up the account.synology.com and log in with my credentials to get right into my shares. It is just like using Plex when you are off LAN and you enter your credentials and connected to the server.

This walks you through how easy it has become with setting up remote access. DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

I spend less time dealing with problems with the NAS, same as my Macbook Air, than I have ever had to deal with what Microsoft has created as a living hell, that being Windows 10. I am all for the easy way and also it meant digging deeper into the pocketbook. The wife is happy, I am happy and no longer do I hear "The network is down".

bro67, Aug 12, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
  10. Tony K Win User
    Thanks, Kari. Forgot about that one. *Redface

To let the OP know, one drawback of that option is that devices need to be on. Is there a way to ping a device to wake a device with that option?

I just sync files with OneDrive on my tower, laptop, and Windows phone, so don't use that feature. I've collected 1TB of free lifetime OneDrive space over time simply by being a Windows user and MS online store purchases.

Windows 10 comes with 5GBs. More storage space is linked there, which is reasonably priced. OneDrive storage plan and billing questions -

More reading about OneDrive: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17184

Tony K, Aug 12, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.
    '
    the key is "Reasonably Priced" - which seems silly if you have your own storage with several TB you could use. Why pay anything !! especially if you don´t need to.

I have around 15 to 20 TB of storage space on a server so it seems silly to me to pay for CLOUD usage when I can use my own server from anywhere and you aren´t dependent on someone else´s server being hacked or shut down beacuse the FBI think someone has uploaded copyright materia from the pirate bay or else where on it.

Cloud servers are fine for reasonably small amounts of data but would you use them to back up say 1 TB of music files .

Remember also that while download speeds are fine these days in most areas upload speeds can be maybe 10X slower.

I don´t know where the saying came from but it´sas true today as it ever was öö Æ The price of education might be expensive --b ut the price of ignorance is Astronomical" !!!.

A bit of learning here will pay huge dividends . Remember you can get fast USB3 HDD´s of 4 TB for a smallish amount of moneythese days ööideal for backups þ multiömedia etc etc.

Desktop 4 to 8 TB spinners are also getting very cheap too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 12, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    The slower of the download speed wherever you are and your upload speed at home.

Sometimes (especially if you have ADSL not fiber) your upload speed is much slower (10x or more) than your download speed. That can be limiting if you want to stream things or download big files.

You can check it with speedtest.net

13. cereberus Win User

Yeah - if upload speed is slow, most likely optimum strategy is a combination on a NAS and onedrive.

Upload most common used files on NAS to onedrive eg overnight, then they are on demand at whatever download speed you can manage.

Trying to set up your own cloud is only practical for large volumes if you have very fast broadband. If adsl, frankly only any good for low volumes.

cereberus, Aug 12, 2017
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Very sensible answer - although here we have broadband speeds that a lot of people can only dream about. However other countries are catching up -- Bulgaria of all places seems to have now one of the fastest service in N / C Europe !!possibly why some new torrent sites seem to operate from there such as rarbg. !!!!

These days there's very rarely one single strategy that solves all the issues - a combination is the best .
    @cereberus

tried to give you +1 to you for that but system wouldn't let me. (Shame !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how to set up my own cloud? - Similar Threads - set own cloud

2. My Cloud will not open. It is set to open automatic.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Cloud will not open. It is set to open automatic.: PLease help me open my CLOUD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cloud-will-not-open-it-is-set-to-open-automatic/801b9298-20f4-413e-81f4-52be67e1439c
  3. My Cloud will not open. It is set to open automatic.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Cloud will not open. It is set to open automatic.: PLease help me open my CLOUD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cloud-will-not-open-it-is-set-to-open-automatic/801b9298-20f4-413e-81f4-52be67e1439c
  4. Cloud synced settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloud synced settings: Hi, I want to clear my cloud synced settings, so I go to Microsoft account Devices and click clear synced settings at the bottom of the page.It then takes me to this website Delete your personal settings from the cloud live.com. Then I click remove at the bottom of this page...
  5. Cloud synced settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloud synced settings: Hi, I want to clear my cloud synced settings, so I go to Microsoft account Devices and click clear synced settings at the bottom of the page.It then takes me to this website Delete your personal settings from the cloud live.com. Then I click remove at the bottom of this page...
  6. How long in till my windows 10 cloud setting to be deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How long in till my windows 10 cloud setting to be deleted: When I delete them it says some information will be there will and it will be deleted on the next scheduled clean-up process how long will it take...
  7. How To Set Up My Own VPN Server with Certificate Authentication? Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How To Set Up My Own VPN Server with Certificate Authentication? Win10: I want to be able to remote into my home computer but don't want to shell out the $$$ for a VPN service. So I want to set up my own VPN server using the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. I want certificate-based authentication so it's not just a password securing it from the...
  8. how to install my own start up photo

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to install my own start up photo: how to install my own start up photo https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-my-own-start-up-photo/8b0ebdc0-a8f0-4909-9478-fbb336de4000
  9. how to set up my window

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to set up my window: does anyone know what I can do someone brought me a computer for Christmas and I ret the computer from scratch and now I cant personalize anything because it keep saying that I need a key product I there any way I can find it out if I don't have the code....
  10. SETTINGS pops up on its own

in Windows 10 Support
    SETTINGS pops up on its own: SETTINGS pops up on its own with 14971 for no apparent reason. Annoying! 70113