Windows 10: How to set up shared drive for multiple users

Discus and support How to set up shared drive for multiple users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, Recently got myself a new computer (laptop), and just wondering what's the best way to set this up? I have a (256Gb) SSD which is for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by therog1, Apr 28, 2017.

1. therog1 Win User

How to set up shared drive for multiple users

Hi all,

Recently got myself a new computer (laptop), and just wondering what's the best way to set this up?
    I have a (256Gb) SSD which is for Windows/programs, and 1TB HDD for docs, pics, music and game installs.

My computer is shared between my wife and I, and we both have a user account. SSD is C drive and HDD is D. I've redirected libraries/folders for both user accounts so that they are pointing to D:\User Data\Music etc, but how do I set this up so that everything on D is accessible to both of us (without requiring admin permissions)?
    Everything is already in place, but any time either of us tries to move, create or edit a file, it requires admin rights. I've messed around with sharing and permissions, but don't seem to have it sorted... D: properties say the drive is "shared" and everyone has "Full Control" in security (not ideal I know, but just trying to get this working), but doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?

PS. No other PCs on our network at present, so no Homegroup, although I turned this on while transferring from the old laptop.

:)

therog1, Apr 28, 2017

2. set for multiple users

how do I set up my hp for a guest user that cannot access my desktop? I need to keep my things private but allow access to computer to others in the house. I want the other desktop to be set up for Guest

Moved from:
    Office
    /More Office apps /Windows 10 /Unknown/other

RHouseTransitions, Apr 28, 2017
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    set for multiple users

Hi,

You can create another user account. As you are the admin user you can limit how the newly created user account can access files. To assist you better, we'd like to know if you're trying to create a local user.

In the meantime, if yes, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    about creating a local user.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Apr 28, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Sharing a drive means it can be seen and accessed from the network, but you and your wife are trying to access it locally, not across the network.

For local access you need to set local security permissions. Look at the properties for your 'D:\User Data' folder. On the Security tab edit the permissions to add yourself and your wife's account, granting both full control. Or you could just add (if it's not already there) the Users group and grant that full control, that would allow access to anyone who can log on.

5. therog1 Win User
    Ah, thank you for the explanation! I'll have a go at that and let you know how I get on.

therog1, Apr 29, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Its best to save and share things outside users folder by default even admin cant access the folder so messing with it is bad. Create a folder and use that outside users. The safest and simplest is to use free google drive store files on that install the app on both pc and it will sync files on its own. It means its safe in the cloud and synced on both pcs. So no need to share

Samuria, Apr 29, 2017
  7. therog1 Win User
    Ok I tried this. I've unshared the drive, and all the groups under security have "Full Control" (these groups include "Autheticated Users", "SYSTEM", "Administrators", and "Users"). Even added my username specifically, but still no good... Still get a UAC popup when deleting a photo?? Any thoughts?

therog1, Apr 29, 2017
  8. Pyprohly Win User

Therog1, so you have computer A that is sharing D:\ and you want access to this remotely from computer B, but are struggling with the permissions. On computer A you need to ensure the permissions for the share D:\ as well as the NTFS permissions for D:\ are configured correctly.

If you are after more hints, make sure the share permissions are set to “Everyone, Full” and post the NTFS permissions for D:\ for us to analyse. Please also provide an example of what you are trying to do and where the problem occurs.

Pyprohly, Apr 29, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    No, the problem is there's just computer A, but users A and B on the same computer want full access to a common folder so they can 'share' documents.

10. Pyprohly Win User
    No, the problem is there's just computer A, but users A and B on the same computer want full access to a common folder so they can 'share' documents. I wonder what the networking talk is about then.
    I’m sure Therog1 will return to have the issue clarified.

Pyprohly, Apr 29, 2017
  11. Samuria Win User
    As post 4 need to save outside users folder were you can give permission

Samuria, Apr 29, 2017
  12. therog1 Win User
    Yes, Bree is correct. No networking. One computer, two users, I want them both to have common (and fully accessible) documents, pictures, music folders.
    I'll also clarify at this point: both users can access the folders in question, and perform actions, but one of us always gets a "Admin approval required" box. It is this annoyance that I want to be rid of.

therog1, Apr 30, 2017
  13. therog1 Win User

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid this, as I foresee my problem would then become "How do I stop things being saved in C:\Users\<Username>\Documents, and instead automatically direct things to D:\User Data\Documents?".

At present my wife clicks on the "Documents" link on the left in Explorer which takes her to D:\User Data\Documents. I know I could just put a link to D:\User Data\Documents in the Quick Access section (and remove the C:\ link), but ideally I don't want saving documents to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents as an option, hence why I redirected that folder to D. Some software automatically create/save to the %USERPROFILE%/Documents folder, and I would like this to happen on D.

Does that make sense? Any suggestions on how I can make this happen?

Edit: Also, on my previous computer that had only one drive, all the folders were under my UN, and my wife had full access to those, and never had any UAC permissions windows popping up... Why is it different with a different drive?

therog1, Apr 30, 2017
  14. Pyprohly Win User
    Things should be easy as there’s no network. You just need to configure the NTFS permissions to how you want them.

Ok I tried this. I've unshared the drive, and all the groups under security have "Full Control" (these groups include "Autheticated Users", "SYSTEM", "Administrators", and "Users"). Even added my username specifically, but still no good... Still get a UAC popup when deleting a photo?? Any thoughts? Bree’s suggestion was the correct action to take. There must be a parent folder of that photo file that isn’t inheriting the drive’s permissions.

Could you show us the permissions for this photo file?

Pyprohly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set up shared drive for multiple users - Similar Threads - set shared drive

2. Shared passwords from multiple users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Shared passwords from multiple users: When using Edge and windows I get shared saved passwords and favorites from family members not shared computer. How do I stop sharing passwords and different information with family members, but keep sharing them across multiple devices that are my own?...
  3. Shared passwords from multiple users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared passwords from multiple users: When using Edge and windows I get shared saved passwords and favorites from family members not shared computer. How do I stop sharing passwords and different information with family members, but keep sharing them across multiple devices that are my own?...
  4. Shared passwords from multiple users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple Users Share same Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Multiple Users Share same Desktop: All, I have a test system that must run 24/7. These long tests cannot be interrupted by multiple users logging in at begging of shifts. Currently the testers use the same login and password. We need to identify which user is on the system. Is there a way for multiple...
  6. Setting up multiple desktops for different drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting up multiple desktops for different drives: I have recently gotten a second monitor, and would like to have my hard drive's files displayed on the second. Currently, i have 2 drives, a 1TB SSD and a 2TB HDD, my desktop is currently using my SSD's files, but I'd like my second monitor to have the files of my HDD without...
  7. Setting up a shared drive - step by step

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up a shared drive - step by step: Can anyone please help with this? :) Which order should the blocks be in? 164779
  8. Setting up a shared drive - step by step

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting up a shared drive - step by step: Can anyone please help with this? :) Which order should the blocks be in? 164779
  9. multiple users set up

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple users set up: I was given this laptop 2 weeks after my aunt bought it because she could not understand the software. She managed to get her name and e-mail registered in it though somehow. I have changed it to my name and thought I had gotten the e-mail changed too. Well, every time I...
  10. How to use a shared (NAS) drive for C:\Users on multiple machines?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to use a shared (NAS) drive for C:\Users on multiple machines?: I have multiple PC's and would like to have my C:\Users as a common/shared folder so that regardless of which machine I login to I have the same directory contents....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setting up a share drive for multiple users