Windows 10: How to setup Chinese IME (Zhuyin) with English input mode as default, system-widely?

Discus and support How to setup Chinese IME (Zhuyin) with English input mode as default, system-widely? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, I started using Windows 10 recently, and there's a problem bothers me a lot. This issue seems to last for quite a long time since Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by -Pakox, Jul 11, 2018.

1. -Pakox Win User

How to setup Chinese IME (Zhuyin) with English input mode as default, system-widely?

Hi all,

I started using Windows 10 recently, and there's a problem bothers me a lot.

This issue seems to last for quite a long time since Windows 10 was out.

And I know users with other languages might have this problem, too.

All I could find online are alternative solutions. I wonder if there's a proper way to solve this.

So here is the detail:

In the Chinese (named Zhuyin) input method, there is an option I could set the default input mode as English in the first place.

(By that, I need to press Shift to switch to Chinese mode.

This is convenient to me since any commands or username on websites are in English.)

Although I've CERTAINLY done it in the Settings, it seems to only affects part of the Softwares.

For example, mostly non-UAC-needed programs, explorer, Firefox, Office Word ...etc.

While programs such as Command-Prompt(cmd), notepad, search function from Start button and Settings don't.

This is very annoying that I have different default input mode per programs.

And it really seems like a bug that one can never solve it by simply switching buttons in Settings.

I've try to turn it on from Settings several times, didn't work.

I wonder if it's associate with User Privilege. That is, I have to setup IME as Administrator to get it done?

Or could I fix it through tuning-up Windows Registry Editor / Microsoft Management Console?

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated and welcomed.

Currently I'm with Version 1803

:)

-Pakox, Jul 11, 2018
  2. JaneKD Win User

Can I Display in Traditional Chinese and Set Input Method to English as default?

Hi,

I have set my Windows 10 display language to Traditional Chinese (Taiwan), so that my folders and menu labels are in Chinese. However, that also defaults my Input language to Chinese. The language icon always shows Chinese. But since I usually browse
    the internet and write emails in English, I always have to remember to change the input method to English.

Is there a way for the best of both worlds? Displaying all the menus and labels in Chinese, and yet defaulting to English input when I type? Thank you very much for helping.

JaneKD, Jul 11, 2018
  3. 한곤김 Win User
    Some problems in IME for Chinese and Korean

Microsoft IME for Chinese and Korean has some problem.

1. Touchscreen interface.

I use ChangJIe IME in touchscreen. ChangJie IME input is based on Chinese calligraphy and is not phonetic based. In most time, we can easily get only one candidate character. (For example, 倉=人戈日口, no other candidates). So, most time we don't need to select
    character from candidate list. In real keyboard, we press "Space" instead of press number to select character. But somehow, touchscreen keyboard "DOESN'T" allow me to use space key to select character so I need to touch character in the list (even there only
    one) and is very inconvenient. In Android or iOS uses "Space" to hit and select candidate key. If you understand some Chinese, try to see HK Microsoft community and many Hong Kong people complain this problem but seems they just say "We will improve"?

2. Also touchscreen keyboard, why keystroke appears in the input box? Example, assume we input 倉= 人戈日口(OIAR) so we need press 人戈日口(OIAR) but this will appear in the input box not above touchscreen IME so I need to move my eyes from top to bottom(Example
    we use edge to try search something on the web so we need to type Chinese in the address bar) to see if there is any typo. In Android or iOS system keystrokes will appear at the top of the IME. This should be improved.

3. Why Chinese and Korean IME include English keyboard??

I understand most Korean and Chinese people can only speak one or two languages and their display language is also in either Korean or Chinese so therefore they don't need to frequently switch IME and they usually use "Shift" and "Left Alt" to switch English
    input instead of use "Windows + Space" to switch different IME. But why don't you make an option allows Chinese and Korean IME doesn't allow to input English? It is VERY INCONVENIENT when I switch to different language and start to type, it shows English instead
    of Korean or Chinese. in Mac OS, you know they use "Command + Shift" and each IME only has one language and doesn't have problem I just explained. I added "English" in language list to use English as displayed language so English IME also appears in the IME
    list. This makes me to feel I have "Three" English keyboard plus Korean and Chinese keyboard. I'm so sad when I switch to different language and use "Backspace" to remove wrong characters and use "Shift" or "Left Alt" to change language again but I already
    changed to different IME.

4. Character set for Changjie IME.

I was studying in Macau so I don't understand simplified characters at all but why those ugly simplified characters appear on the list of candidate keys? I found Microsoft Pingyin only shows Simplified Chinese characters so Changjie IME can eliminates simplified
    Chinese characters. Pleased don't include all characters in Unicode Set of Changjie input but try to eliminate simplified characters in the database or make option to remove simplified characters which are useless for me.

한곤김, Jul 11, 2018
  4. zp_x Win User

How to setup Chinese IME (Zhuyin) with English input mode as default, system-widely?

How to make the Microsoft Pinyin really default to Chinese?!

The problem is very annoying.

Whenever when I try to switch the input method to Chinese from English, the keyboard mode for Microsoft Pinyin will always default to English regardless of the default mode setting I made, i.e. from

"setting->Time & Language -> Region & language -> Click input method-> Options -> Click method under keyboards -> Options -> Mode switching -> Choose IME default mode -> Chinese"

So every time after I press Ctrl+Shift to change input method, I will still need to click Shift again to change it to Chinese!

I think there might be complex logic under it that Microsoft thought it helps, but can I just asking for a solution that make the input method simply always default to Chinese input? For example if any registry settings for this?

Thanks!

Thema:

1. How to setup Chinese IME (Zhuyin) with English input mode as default, system-widely? - Similar Threads - setup Chinese IME

2. Changjie keyboard unable to switch input mode from English mode to Chinese mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changjie keyboard unable to switch input mode from English mode to Chinese mode: I am using "Chinese Traditional, Taiwan" in windows 10 Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.1348, and I am using "Microsoft Changjie" as my keyboard.In the original design of the Changjie keyboard, input mode can be switched between i.e. English mode and i.e. Chinese mode, so that...
  3. Changjie keyboard unable to switch input mode from English mode to Chinese mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changjie keyboard unable to switch input mode from English mode to Chinese mode: I am using "Chinese Traditional, Taiwan" in windows 10 Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.1348, and I am using "Microsoft Changjie" as my keyboard.In the original design of the Changjie keyboard, input mode can be switched between i.e. English mode and i.e. Chinese mode, so that...
  4. How do I make the in the chinese Zhuyin keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make the in the chinese Zhuyin keyboard?: I've been trying to type on my keyboard and like yi4si4 but my keyboard does not have those characteres. I'm using the taiwan version. Hope it will be solved soon....
  5. how to disable Shift key that toggles Chinese input mode and English input mode in...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to disable Shift key that toggles Chinese input mode and English input mode in...: Please note: This is not about changing input methods or keyboards. This is about changing "Modes" within a keyboard. The shift key is really annoying. I'm using Microsoft Wubi input method. This input method has two modes: English mode and Chinese mode. A setting named...
  6. Chinese IME

Chinese IME: I can type chinese word in windows search bar after installed chinese language under Add Language but i could not type at any others app browser address bar, MS Words etc and it didn't show the language bar at taskbar but the Chinese IME is enable in the background. please...
  7. Chinese IME

Chinese IME: In Windows 10 the automatic learning feature of Traditional Chinese IME does not work at all. Is this a bug or am I missing something? It worked correctly in Windows 7. "Dynamic candidate order based on usage" is selected....
  8. How to use English as default input language?

How to use English as default input language?: For window 10 Traditional Chinese version, I would like to know on how to set English as default input language and remove any Chinese input. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  9. how to disable Shift key that toggles Chinese input mode and English input mode in...

how to disable Shift key that toggles Chinese input mode and English input mode in...: I'm using Microsoft Wubi input method. This input method has two modes: English mode and Chinese mode. A setting named "Mode Switching" in Microsoft Pinyin allows users toggling two modes with their satisified key(s), but none in Microsoft Wubi input method. What should I do...
  10. How to setup Windows 10 Chinese IM (Zhuyin) but with English input mode as default,...

How to setup Windows 10 Chinese IM (Zhuyin) but with English input mode as default,...: Hi all, I started using Windows 10 recently, and there's a problem bothers me a lot. This issue seems to last for quite a long time since Windows 10 was out. And I know users with other languages might have this problem, too. All I could find online are alternative...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ime input mode

2. how do I find bopomofo keyboard on sceen in Window 10

3. how to imput numeric in bopomofo mode

4. IME default mode,
  5. zhuyin input setup for windows10,
  6. microsoft bopomofo settings setup,
  7. ime bopomofo input down load