Windows 10: How to show recommended and optional updates?

Discus and support How to show recommended and optional updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. Perhaps I'm just being special, but how do you see what updates are recommended and optional for Windows 10? My antivirus (Nod32) tells me when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pantsdetector, Apr 11, 2016.

1. How to show recommended and optional updates?

Hi. Perhaps I'm just being special, but how do you see what updates are recommended and optional for Windows 10? My antivirus (Nod32) tells me when system updates are available if they aren't installed by the system automatically in a timely manor and it gives me the option to look at what updates it's talking about. It shows several critical updates available, several recommended updates and one optional update. However when I run check for updates from the settings app thing, only the critical updates are showing up and are automatically downloaded and installed as expected.

I know the recommended/optional updates aren't being installed in the background because whenever new updates become available my antivirus detects them, tells me and when I look at the list the same recommended updates still show up (I've checked this three times now). I have windows 10 Home incidentally so not sure if that makes any difference.

Basically, it would appear I have at least a couple of recommended updates that I could benefit from installing but I cannot figure out how to actually get them to show up when I check for updates and have them installed. Thanks!

:)

pantsdetector, Apr 11, 2016
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Apr 11, 2016
  3. Is there a way to run the Recommended and Optional Updates in Windows 10 now the settings have been removed?

I have multiple updates in the Recommended and Optional categories but do not know how to access and process these updates since the useful settings choices have been removed and the 'Automatic Update' does not process these even though the setting is
    checked. I don't understand why technology is moving forward but software seems to be moving backwards, such as removing the settings options, as Google has done with Android. I can see hiding from view for the common setup as most people probably don't even
    change their settings, but those of us that do should have the option for turning them on and being able to make those choices, just as the option for using developer options in programs.

MichaelDennard, Apr 11, 2016
  4. How to show recommended and optional updates?

I use Windows Update MiniTool - It uses Microsoft Update server, so it finds a little more.
    To get english, download english pack, unpack it and put into the same folder as the exe.

TairikuOkami, Apr 11, 2016
  5. So it's not possible to do it at all via windows itself, I have to use a third party tool? That surly can't be right can it? I mean, it just seems a bit weird considering how staunch Microsoft's been with the whole forced automatic updates on Windows 10, one would think they'd be more than willing to give users a list of all updates available for their system even if they want to forcfully install critical updates automatically. Unless of course it is entirely because I'm using Home and not Pro.

pantsdetector, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to show recommended and optional updates?

1. How to show recommended and optional updates? - Similar Threads - show recommended optional

2. How to remove the "recommended for you" options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove the "recommended for you" options: HI, I'm trying to remove the "recommended for you" options that pop up when you click in the search bar, after clicking the start button. Note, I don't mean the 'recommended' section that appears under the pinned apps, but "recommended for you" that pops up when you click in...
  3. How to remove the "recommended for you" options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove the "recommended for you" options: HI, I'm trying to remove the "recommended for you" options that pop up when you click in the search bar, after clicking the start button. Note, I don't mean the 'recommended' section that appears under the pinned apps, but "recommended for you" that pops up when you click in...
  4. Yellow icon showing action recommended

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Yellow icon showing action recommended: I have an issue in my PC. I clicked the yellow alert icon saying action recommended. It run quick scan but it already running like forever and won't stop . What do I need to do?...
  5. W10x64 update 21H1 option not showing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10x64 update 21H1 option not showing: happy mondayam trying to put 21H1 on my BETA OS test-platform some Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.985 systems are not seeing the 21H1 releaseand some are running 21H1 just fine deleting restore points doesn't helpquestion - can Update Assistant get 21H1 installed?thanks in...
  6. optional update constantly showing up

optional update constantly showing up: I just clean installed the windows 10 pro for the 2nd time but this same optional update keeps on showing up. The driver is already installed but is not showing up in the driver manager. I have an hp envy 15 notebook pc. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  7. Recommended windows update

Recommended windows update: There are too many version to choose so I need help choosing a most stable version. Between v1903, v1909, v2004, v2009. Which one is highly recommended ? 167242
  8. RECOMMENDED DON'T UPDATE TO THIS

RECOMMENDED DON'T UPDATE TO THIS: Last week, I updated my 2 computers to Windows 10 2004. But, all of it have a BIG problem: Network status always No internet access. But I still can surf web, check for update and play some games normally. But the BIGGEST PROBLEMS are: I can't use Microsoft account features,...
  9. "Actions recommended" but nothing shows up?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Actions recommended" but nothing shows up?: Essentially what the screenshots show. Idunno what I'm missing [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/actions-recommended-but-nothing-shows-up/fcfd9ea1-9ada-4937-a14b-b8d3c0569d64"
  10. Recommended Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recommended Windows Updates: Hi to all Windows 10 users *Biggrin . Eset Nod32 has the ability to show and notify of windows updates, every time there is an update, it shows me critical and recommended one's, but when going to the update center itself, it shows me no recommended updates . My...