Windows 10: How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

Discus and support How to shrink a partition in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Warning: It’s always better to backup your important data before resizing your partitions. I- Why would I ever need to resize a drive? Well, I’ll start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Win10 FaQ, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Win10 FaQ
    Win10 FaQ New Member

How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

Warning: It’s always better to backup your important data before resizing your partitions. I- Why would I ever need to resize a drive? Well, I’ll start with our famous problem: Drive C: doesn’t have enough space for Windows updates, programs, downloads …etc. Therefore, we need to extend its volume. Another reason could be that you [...]

The post How to shrink a partition in Windows 10 appeared first on Win10 FAQ.

read more...

Win10 FaQ, Jun 19, 2018

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Jun 19, 2018
  3. qinada Win User
    undo partition shrink

Hi, disk management has limitations on the size of shrinking partition. Also extending partition with Disk Management, you must have unallocated space next to the partition which you need to expand. Otherwise, the button is grayed out.

I suggest you use a third party free disk partition manager to help you to
    extend the partition

qinada, Jun 19, 2018
  4. How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

Resize Windows 10 System Partition

Hi Adrain,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".
    • In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu
    • Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up space.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jun 19, 2018
Thema:

How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

1. How to shrink a partition in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - shrink partition

2. Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually.: Hello, I am trying to convert my system from MBR to GPT in Windows 10 Recovery Mode Command Prompt but sadly I am getting the following error when I try to do so: Code: MBR2GPT: Attempting to convert disk 0 MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk...
  3. When I have chrome open and open new page The browser shrinks

in Browsers and Email
    When I have chrome open and open new page The browser shrinks: When I have chrome open and I try to open a new tab from either my password manager or a URL link chrome goes from a full-page to a half page and it does add the new page. I then have to maximize it again by double-clicking on the blue bar at the top. I'm not sure but I think...
  4. When I open up second window in chrome the whole window shrinks

in Browsers and Email
    When I open up second window in chrome the whole window shrinks: When I have Chrome open fullscreen and then click on the link to open another page the whole full-page shrinks down to About one third the size of the full maximize Google screen with both tabs in the same small window. This just started happening yesterday. Would appreciate...
  5. not able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not able to shrink C: even though there is plenty of space free: Some of windows system files got corrupted so i did recover it through recovery drive. Everything was fine until i knew that Windows C: is taking up 500GB of my disk space. I tried shrinking it but it's showing " available space on drive for shrinking : 0mb "..... Total space...
  6. Windows 10 shrinking windows and weird notification sounds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 shrinking windows and weird notification sounds: Almost every time my computer goes to sleep, it makes random notification sounds (always the same sound though) and shrinks any open windows. The sounds seem completely random, sometimes several every few minutes, sometimes one here or there. The sizes of the windows are...
  7. macrium reflect shrink partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium reflect shrink partition: I'm using macrium reflect free making images of my ssd and hdd together in one file. My ssd is 256 Gbyte.(one C: partition) If I install a new 250Gbyte ssd wiil the reflect restore process after drag and drop the c: partition from the old ssd to the new ssd in the restore...
  8. Shrinking a volume

Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...
  9. shrink size of c drive while partitioning

shrink size of c drive while partitioning: Error "Access is denied" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shrink-size-of-c-drive-while-partitioning/9d56b50a-0b10-406b-bdd5-0bb96bdf9791"
  10. Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.: I am trying to shrink my system partition but Disk Manager only offers a tiny reduction in size due to "unmovable files". I have already disabled swap, hibernate and system protection and rebooted. What else should I do? 78625