Windows 10: How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

Discus and support How to shrink a partition in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Warning: It’s always better to backup your important data before resizing your partitions. I- Why would I ever need to resize a drive? Well, I’ll start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Win10 FaQ, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Win10 FaQ
    Win10 FaQ New Member

How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

Warning: It’s always better to backup your important data before resizing your partitions. I- Why would I ever need to resize a drive? Well, I’ll start with our famous problem: Drive C: doesn’t have enough space for Windows updates, programs, downloads …etc. Therefore, we need to extend its volume. Another reason could be that you [...]

The post How to shrink a partition in Windows 10 appeared first on Win10 FAQ.

read more...

Win10 FaQ, Jun 19, 2018

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Jun 19, 2018
  3. qinada Win User
    undo partition shrink

Hi, disk management has limitations on the size of shrinking partition. Also extending partition with Disk Management, you must have unallocated space next to the partition which you need to expand. Otherwise, the button is grayed out.

I suggest you use a third party free disk partition manager to help you to
    extend the partition

qinada, Jun 19, 2018
  4. How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

Resize Windows 10 System Partition

Hi Adrain,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".
    • In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu
    • Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up space.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jun 19, 2018
Thema:

How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

1. How to shrink a partition in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - shrink partition

2. My Word page is too big for the screen, the top toolbar is off the screen. How can I shrink it?

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Word page is too big for the screen, the top toolbar is off the screen. How can I shrink it?: My Word page is too big for the screen, the top toolbar is off the screen. How can I shrink it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-word-page-is-too-big-for-the-screen-the-top/ad8fac6a-5f73-4f24-8916-34663b49ea5e
  3. windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want: Hi there Microsoft, I'm trying to shrink some GB from my hard disk C: to add it to D: because D: is on low free space and when I try to shrink C: it doesn't let me shrink as much as the free space that C: has, what I mean is that C: has like 150+ GB and it lets me to shrink...
  4. When in sleep mode, windows shrink

When in sleep mode, windows shrink: The windows on my screen get shrunk when my laptop goes to sleep mode. When I wake it up I find them jammed in the far left upper corner. I hate making them large again. Can you come up with the idea?...
  5. Error while shrinking a volume!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error while shrinking a volume!!!: Hello, Today, while I was shrinking one of my disk partition in disk management option, I received an error saying"An unexpected error has occurred. check the system event log for more information. close the disk management console and restart it." I tried restarting it but...
  6. Windows 10 shrinks windows when in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 shrinks windows when in sleep mode: Whenever my HP Elitedesk goes to sleep/times out and when I wake it up, every screen I have open has shrunk and is jammed into the far left upper corner of my screen. I have to resize them every time. Extremely annoying. I've searched and searched to find an answer for this...
  7. Shrink system image?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Shrink system image?: Is there any way to shrink a system backup image? I usually use the built-in "Win 7" backup function, but it creates an image about the same size as the working install, which is usually about 21GB. This is a problem on eMMCs, which typically run 64 or even just 32GB of total...
  8. My mouse started shrinking things

My mouse started shrinking things: I use the magnifying glass often editing photos, and all of a sudden my pointer is shrinking the page instead of enlarging it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/my-mouse-started-shrinking-things/e8d4c7a2-0e6f-4a29-918e-232fee1e98a2
  9. Unable to Shrink Volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Shrink Volume: Just got an ASUS laptop. In Disk Management I want to shrink C: a small amount and use the partition for my data. But, regardless of what value I put in Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB I get The parameter is incorrect The size that is available to shrink is 45032...
  10. Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.: I am trying to shrink my system partition but Disk Manager only offers a tiny reduction in size due to "unmovable files". I have already disabled swap, hibernate and system protection and rebooted. What else should I do? 78625