Windows 10: How to shrink the bounding box of desktop icons?

Discus and support How to shrink the bounding box of desktop icons? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just reimaged my office computer from Win 7 to Win 10. Most things are fine but one thing annoys me greatly: The desktop icons are embedded in an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mmo, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

How to shrink the bounding box of desktop icons?

I just reimaged my office computer from Win 7 to Win 10. Most things are fine but one thing annoys me greatly:

The desktop icons are embedded in an insanely wide bounding box. I.e. if I select a desktop icon it gets surrounded by a light-bluish transparent box that is at least three times as wide as the icon.
    It is thus impossible to place an icon close to the screen border, because if its "bounding box" overlaps the border, Windows will automatically place the icon elsewhere (another one of those unwanted behaviors, but that's a different story).
    Due to this huge box I also have to place my desktop very widely interspaced (i.e. at least the equivalent of two icons' width apart) or else I get a hard time hitting the right one, because clicking on it then frequently triggers the overlapping left or right icon. :-(

On my home system that bounding box is barely wider than the displayed icon, maybe 20% of the icons's width on each side and I am thus used to place my icons in groups and also much closer to each other.

Any ideas how one can shrink or do away with that surrounding box?

Just in case: of course I have already switched to small icons and disabled automatic placement and grid alignment. :-(
    I also fiddled with the registry settings at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics, specifically with IconSpacing as suggested in misc. google hits that I found but changing that value does not seem to have any influence whatsoever (I tried values between -20 and -2000, the original value being -1115).

:)

2. Windows 10 bug report - Bounding box rectangles create make random pixels appear

Hello Guru Kiran,

After following your steps the problem seems to go away. However, this morning the problem has returned. It is a bug in Windows 10.

I have installed the Windows 10 driver for GeForce 9500 GT card for 64-bit Windows 10, and have SFC at 100% with no integrity problems.

When I draw a bound box in my desktop background and move it around, there appears discolored pixels, as if the bounding rectangle is not being completely erased. These pixels do not go away until the background is refreshed.

Donald L.Ensley II, Jun 9, 2018
  3. Windows 10 bug report - Bounding box rectangles create make random pixels appear

In Windows 10, when I draw a bounding box on my desktop (drag the mouse while holding the button down), when I release the mouse, the stretching rectangle bounding box does not erase correctly. Some of the pixels in my desktop background remain the color
    of the bounding box rectangle, and some of the pixels on the background magically change color.

This messes up the desktop and requires me to refresh the background before proceeding to restore the background correctly.

This is a bug in Windows 10.

I wondered if anyone else has noticed this problem.

Donald L.Ensley II, Jun 9, 2018
Thema:

How to shrink the bounding box of desktop icons?

1. How to shrink the bounding box of desktop icons? - Similar Threads - shrink bounding box

2. Cursor is bound to an invisible box when Windows is scaled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor is bound to an invisible box when Windows is scaled: Hello,I recently switched to a 4k monitor. I use the native resoltion of 3840x2160 with a scaling factor of 150%. I only have one monitor plugged in.My problem is that I have noticed that while I am using a scaling factor, it seems there is an invisible box on the screen...
  3. Desktop Icons : Dreaded Blue box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons : Dreaded Blue box: I'm not sure if its possible, but I really don't like the blue boxes that appear by default on some of the application icons. I have tried everything to get rid of these blue boxes and nothing seems to work. Its a small aesthetic detail, but its driving me crazy. Can someone...
  4. Desktop Icons : Dreaded Blue box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons : Dreaded Blue box: I'm not sure if its possible, but I really don't like the blue boxes that appear by default on some of the application icons. I have tried everything to get rid of these blue boxes and nothing seems to work. Its a small aesthetic detail, but its driving me crazy. Can someone...
  5. Desktop Icons - White Box

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons - White Box: a little white box has appeared on my desktop in my icons. When I click on an icon the box ticks but I have to tick again to open the link. Its a minor annoyance, but how do I get rid? I think it might have been something to do with winaerotweak but unsure. [img] 173497
  6. White box around desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    White box around desktop icons?: Hi, From time to time, white annoying boxes appear around my desktop icons that I can't get rid of once and for all. F5 works as a temporary solution, but once I select another icon, the boxes will come back. They appear in the first place by selecting an icon, going on a...
  7. windows desktop icons black box

windows desktop icons black box: everytime i restart my laptop my desktop icons have black boxes on top of them, cleaning the thumbnail cache fixes but next time i restart the black boxes are there again...
  8. Some icons shrink

Some icons shrink: I've had this problem for years and just haven't bothered to ask why but I really would like an answer. Icons of the same size, same folder made by same program will be on my desktop then a couple of them will shrink. Never all of them. I have to change the icon then it's...
  9. checkmark box on desktop icons - what is it for?

checkmark box on desktop icons - what is it for?: I have noticed a checkmark box on my desktop icons - usually with a checkmark in it. What is this for??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checkmark-box-on-desktop-icons-what-is-it-for/674a8c57-6897-45d4-9b3d-5f53dfb9c51f
  10. Random Icons "Shrink"

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Icons "Shrink": As you can see in the links below, random icons have shrunken and their .ico images are all the same (256x256)... 2016-06-21_1904 - Broussard's library 2016-06-21_1908 - Broussard's library I have tried changing the .ico images on the shrunken ones but they still...