Windows 10: How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate

Discus and support How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Every time I Hibernate the computer, the external USB mini hard disk drive turns off, yet the LED flashes on & off until I bring back the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Sep 14, 2016.

1. pepanee Win User

How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate

Hello,

Every time I Hibernate the computer, the external USB mini hard disk drive turns off, yet the LED flashes on & off until I bring back the computer from Hibernate. Also, I have an old school 3rd-party iPod Video dock connector that has a green LED light on it. That one stays on the whole time while the computer is in Hibernate.

But on the other hand, if I Shut Down the computer, then the LED light on the external mini hard disk drive completely turns off, and the same thing with the dock connector; the green LED light turns off.. implying that all the power to the computer, and devices connected to it, is shut off.

So how do I make the Hibernate option disconnect all the power to the computer like Shut Down does?

(I believe that one reason to why Microsoft set this up like this is because if you want to bring the computer back from Hibernate using the Mouse or the Keyboard, then it would be aware of it. Yet I have disabled those two from ever bringing back the computer from Hibernate).

Thanks

:)

pepanee, Sep 14, 2016

2. Computer Stuck Hibernating

I have a Windows 10 Toshiba Satellite. When I shut down my laptop, it doesn't completely shut down but instead finishes by going into hibernation. Restart sometimes shuts the laptop down instead of restarting. When it goes into hibernation, mouse and keys
    and power button don't wake it up. I tried shutting off hibernation entirely with power settings and command prompt, but that didn't help. Turning on a screen saver helped it not go into hibernation when I left it for a minute. Help?

SherwoodWriter, Sep 14, 2016
  3. dozrguy Win User
    Windows 10 Automatic Updates

its not a windows update issue, its the fast-boot/hybrid boot option built into Win10.

when you shut your pc off, it dont shut off it goes into a state of hibernation so that when you push the power button to wake it up, it boots faster as its saved stuff to memory.

Windows update is allowed to wake it from this state of hibernation to do its thing.

shutting the fastboot/ hybrid boot off allows the computer to completely shut off when the pc is told to shut off!

dozrguy, Sep 14, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

The supply of power to a USB port while in Hibernate (or even while completely turned off) is a hardware function provided by some manufaturers. To turn it on or off there's usually an OEM supplied utility. This is the one for my Toshiba.

How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate [​IMG]

Usually there's only one USB port that has this function, it's identified on the case by the 'lightning' symbol next to the standard USB icon, as shown in the screen shot above. If you don't have the manufaturer's utility, then plug your iPod Video dock connector into another (unpowered) USB port.

5. pepanee Win User
    Ok cool, I see what you mean. All my USB ports give off power when the computer is in Hibernate.

That's pretty much exactly the whole deal. Yet this Desktop computer has been custom built by me. So I am assuming that I should search for the motherboard's settings and disable a similar option for the power. I want to try to avoid downloading the motherboard's software (if there is one) and do this all within the operating system itself. I'll check around and see what I can find.

Thanks for the reply.

pepanee, Sep 14, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    You're welcome. Good luck.

7. pepanee Win User
    So I have an ASUS motherboard. I'm trying to mess around in some of the power settings in the BIOS. Does anybody know exactly which option it could be in there?

pepanee, Sep 14, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

The ASUS utility for this purpose seems to be called Charger Plus (not having an ASUS of any sort I can't see if this is meant only for their laptops)

https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/778/0/2/45/

Now I know you don't want to use an OEM utility if you can avoid it, but their support pages may give you some clues as to where to look in the BIOS. This one says...
    How to use USB Charger+? | Official Support | ASUS USA

9. pepanee Win User
    Cool! Thank you so much for your suggestions that had lead me to the solution.

1) I tried the USB Charger+ program, which gave me some lame annoying error every time I loaded it. It stayed on even after the error and cannot see the program itself... huh? Had to always End its task, and try it again.
    2) Uninstalled it. Went to the BIOS at the APM area, and didn't find ErP sadly. But I looked at the options over there and saw this one called Deep S4. It says that when the computer is at a low state, only the Power Button can turn it on. That sounded reasonable, because like I mentioned before, you can disable the Mouse & Keyboard from waking up the computer. So this sounded a lot like what it could be. So I enabled it, then loaded the computer. I put the computer to Hibernate, and the LED LIGHTS TURNED OFF!!! YES!! NAILED IT!! I've been curious to figuring this one out since forever until I got lucky with Bree! =D

Lol, thanks so much!

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate - Similar Threads - Shut Off Complete

2. Power off and Hibernate issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power off and Hibernate issue: Hi all. I'm having the following issue when I turn off my computer 1 If I use the hibernate option, the system immediately shutdown without asking to close any open file. At a later resume, the system shows a blue screen showing an issue with the previous shutdown, and all...
  3. Power off and Hibernate issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power off and Hibernate issue: Hi all. I'm having the following issue when I turn off my computer 1 If I use the hibernate option, the system immediately shutdown without asking to close any open file. At a later resume, the system shows a blue screen showing an issue with the previous shutdown, and all...
  4. Power off and Hibernate issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.: Hello, first post here. I use my laptop with the lid closed, connected to an external monitor. Is there a way to power up the PC while it is shut off or in hibernation mode without opening the laptop? I have the laptop on a dock so it would be preferred to keep it closed. I...
  6. How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.: Hello, first post here. I use my laptop with the lid closed, connected to an external monitor. Is there a way to power up the PC while it is shut off or in hibernation mode without opening the laptop? I have the laptop on a dock so it would be preferred to keep it closed. I...
  7. How can I shut off Cortana completely

in Cortana
    How can I shut off Cortana completely: I don't want to use Cortana nor Edge. I shut them off but they must be running because when I clean my temporary files there are plenty of temporary files being produced. What if I used Regedit and deleted every file named Edge and Cortana....
  8. Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on: Laptop: MSI GT73RE Titan (Windows 10 Pro x64 1909) GeForce GTX 1070 As of recently (last week) will not go in to hibernate. After a restart, it usually will the first time or two. But after that, the screen will shut off, the power and GPU buttonswill still be lit, and the...
  9. Shut down/Power off

Shut down/Power off: I have an HP laptop with windows 10 home. When I choose start/shut down, it closes everything and screen goes blank, but won't power down (off). It used to work. I have to manually turn it off....
  10. Disabling Hibernation caused laptop to not shut down completely

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabling Hibernation caused laptop to not shut down completely: Hi, Hope you guys can help. When I go to Start -> Power -> Shut down, it displays the "Shutting down..." window, then the screen goes black, but the laptop won't shut down completely. That is, the WiFi, Bluetooth and Power (light bulb) indicators are still on (and...