Windows 10: How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart

Discus and support How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was trying to install linux on my UEFI mode windows 10 laptop couple days ago, unfortunately there's something went wrong during the installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hempy, Apr 1, 2017.

1. hempy Win User

How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart

I was trying to install linux on my UEFI mode windows 10 laptop couple days ago, unfortunately there's something went wrong during the installation process, the grub directly wrote data in my win10 system boot partition. Luckily I saved my data and all the partition still in hard disk. Now I am using command prompt to do recovery, the partition table shows that the system partition 1, size 260mb EFI partition, there's no symbol marked beside, I believe it's changed by the linux and win10 boot data are corrupted, my idea is to sign this partition as EFI and format it again, then bcdboot files later. What command should I use next? Thanks a lot!

ps:
    partition 3 - windows C:\
    partition 5 - windows D:\
    partition 6-9 my installed linux

How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart [​IMG]

:)

hempy, Apr 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 not booting

difference too. I recreated the efi partition with diskpart but that didn't help too.

OctavianQR, Apr 1, 2017
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    Formating Efi system partition as FAT32

During an install you can remove all the critical partitions, of which the EFI System partition is one. You do not have to pre-format a drive during an install. Just remove the Critical partitions ( MSR, EFI, Recovery and OS)and leave unallocated space.
    The install will take care of the rest.

You can delete the partition and use the Diskpart create partition EFI command with qualifiers, if necessary. If you have already created the partition, try using Diskpart from a command prompt (Shift+F10 during the install) and format.

If you need to convert a drive from MBR to GPT or vice versa, you need to remove ALL partitions.

Saltgrass, Apr 1, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

You cannot use UEFI and Secure boot with Linux on consumer equipment. It is made to work with certain Server hardware.

Turn off UEFI and Secure boot in thr bios and you should be able to install Linux.

bro67, Apr 1, 2017
  5. hempy Win User
    Thx for your advice, I know that Linux couldn't install under UEFI mode or enable Secure boot, both are disable already, at the moment I am not worry about too much Linux since I can reinstall later, I really want my windows back to work.

hempy, Apr 2, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    To make the existing partition 1 an EFI System partition, the command is:

select part 1
    set id=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b override

Code: DISKPART> help set id Changes the partition type field for the partition with focus. Syntax: SET ID={<BYTE> | <GUID>} [OVERRIDE] [NOERR] ID={<BYTE> | <GUID>} Specifies the new partition type. For master boot record (MBR) disks, you can specify a partition type byte, in hexadecimal form, for the partition. Any partition type byte can be specified with this parameter except for type 0x42 (LDM partition). Note that the leading '0x' is omitted when specifying the hexadecimal partition type. For GUID partition table (GPT) disks you can specify a partition type GUID for the partition. Recognized GUIDs include: EFI System partition: c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b Basic data partition: ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7 Any partition type GUID can be specified with this parameter except for the following: Microsoft Reserved partition: e3c9e316-0b5c-4db8-817d-f92df00215ae LDM Metadata partition on a dynamic disk: 5808c8aa-7e8f-42e0-85d2-e1e90434cfb3 LDM Data partition on a dynamic disk: af9b60a0-1431-4f62-bc68-3311714a69ad Cluster Metadata partition: db97dba9-0840-4bae-97f0-ffb9a327c7e1 Other than the limitations mentioned, DiskPart otherwise does not check the partition type for validity except to ensure that it is a byte in hexadecimal form or a GUID. OVERRIDE Enables DiskPart to force the file system on the volume to dismount before changing the partition type. When changing the partition type, DiskPart will attempt to lock and dismount the file system on the volume. If this parameter is not specified, and the call to lock the file system fails, (because some other application has an open handle to the volume), the entire operation will fail. When this parameter is specified, the dismount is forced even if the call to lock the file system fails. When a file system is dismounted, all opened handles to the volume will become invalid. NOERR For scripting only. When an error is encountered, DiskPart continues to process commands as if the error did not occur. Without the NOERR parameter, an error causes DiskPart to exit with an error code. Intended for Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) use only. A partition must be selected for this operation to succeed. Caution: Changing partition type fields with this parameter might cause your computer to fail or be unable to start up. Unless you are an OEM or an IT professional experienced with GPT disks, do not change partition type fields on GPT disks using this parameter. Instead, always use the CREATE PARTITION EFI command to create EFI System partitions, the CREATE PARTITION MSR command to create Microsoft Reserved partitions, and the CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY command without the ID parameter to create primary partitions on GPT disks. This command does not work on dynamic disks nor on Microsoft Reserved partitions. Example: SET ID=07 OVERRIDE SET ID=ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7[/quote]

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2017
  7. hempy Win User
    Thank you so much for the info, I successfully set the partition as EFI, I also did copied the boot file into it but unfortunately it still didn't work out, I can't see windows boot manager in my bios and my hard disk is still invisible in the boot menu, my windows still can't boot, after couple days hard working, I gave up. Now am waiting for my Asus laptop recovery media which includes a factory re-install image from Asus service center, to see if I could reset my laptop and do a clean reinstall. *Sick

How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart [​IMG]

[/quote]

hempy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart - Similar Threads - sign existing partition

2. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  3. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  4. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Access to EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access to EFI Partition: After the latest windows update, when I open file explorer, three extra drives were added besides the c drive. Winretool partition was assigned y drive, PBR partition was assigned x drive and ESP (efi system partition) was assigned e drive. I was able to remove the y and x...
  6. Access to EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Access to EFI Partition: After the latest windows update, when I open file explorer, three extra drives were added besides the c drive. Winretool partition was assigned y drive, PBR partition was assigned x drive and ESP (efi system partition) was assigned e drive. I was able to remove the y and x...
  7. Efi partition between two partitions

Efi partition between two partitions: Hi, I have an asus tuf fx55dt laptop with a 256gb ssd that has windows installed on it and a 1 tb hard drive as well. I am going to list the series of events that took place : 1) I installed ubuntu by creating a 300gb partition on my hdd. 2) ubuntu was not booting up...
  8. EFI partition deleted

EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  9. EFI partition missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI partition missing: I bought a new SSD and did a clean installation of Windows 10 on the new drive, but i'm still keeping my old HDD into my laptop as a secondary drive. After the installation worked (the laptop was working correctly) I decided to format my old HDD. After a reboot i got this...
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: How to: DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk [img] Information Some time ago in another thread I promised a fellow Ten Forums member, esteemed geek and a good friend of mine Tony K to make him a custom DISKPART script when needed: My system at present is...