How to skip "Windows can't open this type of file" dialog via Registry

Discus and support How to skip "Windows can't open this type of file" dialog via Registry in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Trying to make opening unknown file types a little bit less painful. [ATTACH] Is it possible to skip the "Windows can't open this type of file"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lolnothankyou, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:22 AM.

1. lolnothankyou Win User

Trying to make opening unknown file types a little bit less painful.

How to skip "Windows can't open this type of file" dialog via Registry windowscantopen.jpg

Is it possible to skip the "Windows can't open this type of file" dialog and go straight to the "Open with" dialog (that you get after you click on "Try an app on this PC" and then click on "Look for another app on this PC")?

I'm asking for a general solution, not for .ape specifically.

:)

lolnothankyou, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:22 AM
  2. CrAsHnBuRnXp Win User

Custom Registry Files

Techpowerup nor myself are in no way responsible for anything that may or may not go wrong with a users system if s/he decides to use these registry hacks. You are doing so at your own risk and agree to release me and or Techpowerup from fault that may occur. If a user decides to use these registry hacks, you must BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!

To backup your registry click Start>Run (or use windows search from the start menu) and type "Regedit" without quotes. Click on File>Export. Name the file whatever you wish and save it somewhere that is NOT on your Windows drive.

Contained inside the attached RAR file you will find 13 registry hacks. They are:

• Copy To - Adds Copy To to the right click context menu
    • Move To - Adds Move To to the right click context menu
    • Enable Balloon Notification - Self explanatory
    • Disable Balloon Notification - Self explanatory
    • Extended UI Hover Time - Despite its name it decreases the time it takes to preview a thumbnail
    • Instant Aero Peek - Self explanatory
    • Last Active Click - If you have multiple of the same program open, click the icon and it will bring to you your last open window of that program. Click again and you can cycle through.
    • Menu Show Delay - Decreases the time it takes for the start menu to appear
    • Move Kernel - Moves the Windows Kernel from the HDD to memory increasing system performance slightly.
    • Stop Snap - Disables the Windows 7 Snap feature (when you drag a window to the corner of the screen)
    • Stop Space Checking - Keeps Windows from constantly checking disk space
    • USB Write Protect - Disallows Windows to write to any USB device but will still allow the device to be read from.
    • Wait To Kill Service Timeout - Decreases the time it takes windows to wait for a program to fully close before shutting down.
    I have tested all but Move Kernel, Stop Space Checking, and USB Write Protect and they all work 100%. If you open up the registry file I provide, it will give you more information on where the key specifically is along with some information on what it does. Obviously the Aero Peek and Hover time hacks will not work on versions of Windows earlier than 7.

I got the Copy To and Move to from How To Geek and the rest I just Googled and turned into a registry file for convenience. Not sure how many of you guys will need this but i found some new registry hacks that Ill be using now while doing this so I thought I would share with the community. Make me good for something. *Roll Eyes How to skip "Windows can't open this type of file" dialog via Registry :rolleyes:

If I come across more Ill edit this post and upload the new zip. Feel free as well to tell us any registry hacks you use and I could even add them to the list. *Smile How to skip "Windows can't open this type of file" dialog via Registry :)

Enjoy!

CrAsHnBuRnXp, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:25 AM
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

4. Sher Amo Win User

File explorer will not open on windows 10

As a workaround, we suggest that you follow these steps to access windows explorer using the
    Run dialog box. By doing this, we may identify if you can navigate Windows through this method. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog box.
    • Type explorer and press Enter.

In case your system will allow you to navigate through this process, we recommend that you continue performing the in-place upgrade procedure.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Thema:

1. How to skip "Windows can't open this type of file" dialog via Registry - Similar Threads - skip can't open

2. Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives: [img] Why can't I copy the 5.7GB ISO file to either of these three USB Flash Drives? Please see attachment. Thanks. 116077
  3. Missing DVD Driver When I install Windows 10 (in BOIS System)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing DVD Driver When I install Windows 10 (in BOIS System): I was trying to windows 10 setup in Acer E14, but I can't set up this. When I restart this laptop and press F2 then show me an option. when I click Boot option I can't find Boot Mode then I save changed what I need. After that, I can't find the DVD option. Finally, I was...
  4. Xerox Documate 152i Scanner on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Xerox Documate 152i Scanner on Windows 10: Hi I have recently purchased a Dell Optiplex 3050 installed with Windows 10 Pro. All the latest windows updates are now installed. I have connected my Xerox Documate 152i to a USB 2 port ( have also tried a USB 3 port ) and loaded the scanner software / drivers and also...
  5. Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607) CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD Error while updating to the latest...

Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607) CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD Error while updating to the latest...: I recently tried to update my 64-bit Windows 10 Pro to the latest version (currently my Win10 version is 1607) and I got this BSOD error: [ATTACH] After this Blue Screen of Death I waited for about 5 minutes and for some reason it did not reboot automatically. I tried to...
  6. How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?: Let me be clear, I'm asking about the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I am not asking about how to change the Quick Access page. I am not asking about how to remove items or add items or customize items in the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I'm asking how to remove it. I can remove all the...
  7. Every single Windows 10 update causes my monitor to be undetected.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Every single Windows 10 update causes my monitor to be undetected.: Every single Window 10 update that happened for the past 2 years or causes my external monitor not to be recognized. This has been happening since about autumn 2016. [ATTACH] The resolution takes several hours each time. I suspect that Windows 10 update corrupts my Nvidia...
  8. how do I get Cortana to tell me when typing keyboard and narrating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I get Cortana to tell me when typing keyboard and narrating: AS ABOVE TY. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/how-do-i-get-cortana-to-tell-me-when-typing/de4c0dec-412e-4584-9269-9c535eff94da
  9. Windows 10 network list takes long time to load and display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 network list takes long time to load and display: When I click on the network icon on the bottom right corner, the list of available network and VPN should be displayed. However, recently it took a much longer time to display the list, 1. it took around 10 seconds to display the list of available Wi-Fi networks, 2. it...
  10. August 2018 Windows Update: Keyboard/Mouse/Screen Blank

August 2018 Windows Update: Keyboard/Mouse/Screen Blank: This has become rather troublesome ordeal. I had this issue with the previous update and ultimate had to reinstall windows because of it. Recently, i got a forced update last night and i chose the update and shutdown option. Today, in the morning my computer booted up but...