Windows 10: How to solve inability to boot up?

Discus and support How to solve inability to boot up? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HP Envy 750-336c, 24gb, 512gb SSD, 2 x 1gb external, W10. When the HP logo shows, F9, F10, F12 do nothing. Same thing when first powering up. F2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dlw1146, Nov 19, 2016.

1. dlw1146 Win User

How to solve inability to boot up?

HP Envy 750-336c, 24gb, 512gb SSD, 2 x 1gb external, W10.

When the HP logo shows, F9, F10, F12 do nothing. Same thing when first powering up.
    F2 runs several checks on system; all pass.
    Inserting System restore disk does nothing also... black screen. Worked before.
    Do nothing at boot results in black screen.

What did I do? Nothing that I know of. Shut down system, went to sleep, woke up and walla; I have a mess.

Any ideas on solving this.

dlw

:)

dlw1146, Nov 19, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Asusx540 Win User
    How to solve, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" in Windows 10

This is the screen that is on my computer it just started doing this the last hour. Please help my computer is an asus x540
    How to solve inability to boot up? [​IMG]

Asusx540, Nov 19, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

On an HP, F11 before logo appears, gets you to either the HP or Windows Recovery Console. So, as soon as you press power button and screen lights up, press F11 continually until Recovery options appear. You could try a System Restore, if you have a point or Reset, keeping files, same as using the disk.
    I would first try a hard reset. Press and hold power button until completely shut off. Disconnect EVERYTHING from the computer (in case bad usb device is causing problem), remove battery, press power button couple times to discharge. Reconnect power cord, power up again and see if HP restarts. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Nov 19, 2016
  5. dlw1146 Win User
    If this is a repeat of previous reply, I apologise.

Pressing F11 after power up does go to a recovery screen.
    Pressing ESC at that screen ends up at a black screen with or without the recovery disk in.
    Recovery disk worked before.

Is there a site to get a recovery disk from MS. I think I saw one once. I'll start looking.

dlw

dlw1146, Nov 19, 2016
  6. mrgeek Win User
    You do not need a recovery disk. If F11 gets you to the blue Recovery Environment, you can use the options there to either Refresh and keep your files or Advanced options to get to safe mode or HP console, if you have a Recovery Drive D that is on HP's in lieu of discs, but that will bring you all the way back to the day you bought the computer. Here's a basic run down of your options after F11 -
    http://www.dummies.com/computers/ope...y-environment/

mrgeek, Nov 19, 2016
  7. dlw1146 Win User
    I do not get options. I get a black screen after a minute or so.

If F11 gets you to the blue Recovery Environment

The blue screen does not read, Recovery Environment.
    It reads 'Recovery' only.

The directions say to press 'ESC' to continue.
    Then, all it does is goes to a black screen and halts.

dlw1146, Nov 19, 2016
  8. mrgeek Win User

Did you read article at link ? If you see this screen, try Refresh keeping your files.

mrgeek, Nov 19, 2016
  9. dlw1146 Win User
    That is not the screen that appears.
    The screen on reads 'Recovery'.
    The only option is 'Press ESC to continue' which goes to a black screen after several seconds.

dlw

Yes, I went to that site.

dlw1146, Nov 19, 2016
  10. dlw1146 Win User

dlw1146, Nov 19, 2016
  11. mrgeek Win User
    You have exactly the issue in part 3 of this thread (applies to Wi10 too). -
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/...soft_Windows_8

You may be able to do Method 1, Automatic Repair, by powering on, power off immediately after screen begins to light up. Repeat 3 times and see if Auto Repair initiates itself.
    If you can't access the Troubleshoot/Advanced options screen from my post from an F11 startup, then you may need to make a repair disc on another computer to get to a command prompt. Then follow Method 2 to repair your boot files.

mrgeek, Nov 19, 2016
  12. dlw1146 Win User
    Great... do not have W10 disk and W10 repair disk does not work.
    Do have an old Dell laptop with W7, will that work?

dlw1146, Nov 19, 2016
  13. dlw1146 Win User

Finally got the BIOS back by opening the box and moving the default PW switch from on to off, then back on.
    Once in the BIOS the DVD was not listed. Got out an old external DVD and it worked.
    I'm doing a restore now. Thanks for all your effort. dlw

dlw1146, Nov 20, 2016
  14. mrgeek Win User
    Good workaround. So, DVD not recognized was why the restore disk didn't work like before ? If this fixes, please mark topic as solved so others may find. Black screen boot is one of the more common issues with varied solutions. I would not have thought this one to be high on the list. Cheers

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to solve inability to boot up? - Similar Threads - solve inability boot

2. Inability To Boot My Windows 10 To Login Page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inability To Boot My Windows 10 To Login Page: Please help: My HP Windows 10 no longer boot to login page. When powdered on, it displays "Preparing Automatic Repair“, then after running a self diagnosis ended up with this report: "Your PC did not start correctly". I have ran SFC /scannow but got this report: "Windows...
  3. Inability To Boot My Windows 10 To Login Page

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inability To Boot My Windows 10 To Login Page: Please help: My HP Windows 10 no longer boot to login page. When powdered on, it displays "Preparing Automatic Repair“, then after running a self diagnosis ended up with this report: "Your PC did not start correctly". I have ran SFC /scannow but got this report: "Windows...
  4. Inability to Detect Boot Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inability to Detect Boot Device: Hi, After a force shutdown I can’t boot my windows 11.I vaguely remember receiving a software prompt indicating low disk space or something and the need to force close that application. Then the system froze mouse still movable, and I had to perform a force shutdown. Then in...
  5. Inability to Detect Boot Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inability to Detect Boot Device: Hi, After a force shutdown I can’t boot my windows 11.I vaguely remember receiving a software prompt indicating low disk space or something and the need to force close that application. Then the system froze mouse still movable, and I had to perform a force shutdown. Then in...
  6. Locking up while booting solved.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Locking up while booting solved.: I wanted to run the old core 2 duo pc at the museum where I am a volunteer to get some technical information on line. The booting stopped at the Gigabyte motherboard screen. Even the reset button was nonresponsive. Several tries later, I decided to have a look inside the...
  7. Solved inability to connect to MS Display Adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solved inability to connect to MS Display Adapter: This isn't a question, but I have seen several people with the same problem I had with absolutely no solution. I was trying to connect my desktop to a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, but it wouldn't even try to connect. I went through all the troubleshooting steps. I...
  8. SOLVED ROG boot up Loop!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SOLVED ROG boot up Loop!!!!: My Asus ROG had the same problem. This is how I solved it. Pop off the back of the computer and disconnect the hard drive. In my case I had a 1T HD. I turned on the computer and it ran just fine. I went to Micro Center, picked up a new HD, plugged it in, the computer...
  9. Inability to bring up my Dashlane program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Inability to bring up my Dashlane program: I am running Windows 10. I have not been able to bring up my DL program. When I try (using three different browsers) I get a msg that says: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or...
  10. Boot interrupted-Solved

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot interrupted-Solved: This just started after using Windows 10 normally for two days. In the boot process at the start I get a black screen headed by "Edit Boot Options" which then describes the correct boot path etc. and is followed by [ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ]. If I then click on "submit", the...