Windows 10: How to sort desktop icons alphabetically?

Discus and support How to sort desktop icons alphabetically? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; . In my normal user account, I sort desktop icons by name. It's clear that there are actually two groups of icons. The first group (after Recycle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OldGrantonian, Aug 1, 2017.

1. How to sort desktop icons alphabetically?

In my normal user account, I sort desktop icons by name. It's clear that there are actually two groups of icons.

The first group (after Recycle bin) starts with CCleaner and ends with VLC Media Player. These are the same icons that I see in my Administrator acccount.

The second group starts in the next position with Anki and ends with WhatsApp. None of these icons appear in my Administrator account. That's OK.

I suppose I could simply place ALL icons on Administrator desktop, but that seems like using a flyhammer to kill a sledge How to sort desktop icons alphabetically? :)

Please advise. Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, Aug 1, 2017
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Sorting Desktop Icons

Hi Wayne,

It is possible that you're unable to sort desktop icons due to incorrect settings. To better isolate your concern, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Have you tried booting up your computer in Safe Mode and check if the issue still persist?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Aug 1, 2017
  3. Sorting Desktop Icons

The problem mysteriously appeared and now has mysteriously corrected itself.

Wayne La Borde, Aug 1, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

How to sort desktop icons alphabetically?

If you right click on a desktop icon and view the properties you will see on the general tab the location for each icon. The two groups will easily be identified - one is likely to be the C:\Users\Public\Desktop and the other will be C:\Users\yourname\Desktop. The public location is used for apps that are for all users, your personal location is used for apps that you install for just your own use. Sometimes these locations are set by default when the program or app is installed.

If you turn off auto-arrange you should be able to position them in any order you like. See the following tutorial:
    Turn On or Off Auto Arrange Desktop Icons in Windows 10

philc43, Aug 1, 2017
  5. .
    Thanks philc43.

That info allowed me to solve my issue.

OldGrantonian, Aug 1, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    You are welcome, please mark the thread as solved if you are sure it is working for you.

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to sort desktop icons alphabetically?

1. How to sort desktop icons alphabetically? - Similar Threads - sort desktop icons

2. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  3. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  4. New Alphabetic Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Alphabetic Sorting: Sorted by name my files in name sort are now coming up in groups such as:0-9 1A-H 10Is there any way of just showing them like they used to be, all in one continuous list?Many thanks for nay help....
  5. New Alphabetic Sorting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Alphabetic Sorting: Sorted by name my files in name sort are now coming up in groups such as:0-9 1A-H 10Is there any way of just showing them like they used to be, all in one continuous list?Many thanks for nay help....
  6. New Alphabetic Sorting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Alphabetical sort of regional characters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alphabetical sort of regional characters: I have a problem in Excel, which I think originates from Windows. I need to sort a list which is "numbered" with two letters. So it means that "aa." should appear as the first item, "ab." as the second, "ac." as the third etc. Before this used to work fine, - but for some...
  8. How to make desktop icons alphabetic

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make desktop icons alphabetic: How do I make desktop icons list alphabetical? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-desktop-icons-alphabetic/8f5adb84-b7ae-478c-9db4-3b374e8acb69
  9. How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Does Windows Sort Alphabetically?: So there are lots of unicode characters that Windows will allow you to use in your file and folder names. However, how does Windows determine how they're sorted? Take the following example of a huge number of folders named with different characters: [img] How exactly is...
  10. sorting Quick Access alphabetic

in Windows 10 Support
    sorting Quick Access alphabetic: hey guys, we all (i think) use Quick Access infile explorer, right? Is there a possibility to sort the files in Quick Access alphabetic? thanks Jeff 26960

Users found this page by searching for:

1. alphabetize icons win 10

2. how to arrange desktop icons alphabetically

3. windows sort desktop shortcuts alphabetically

4. sort desktop icons windows 10,
  5. desktop icons arrange alphabet,
  6. windows 10 does not allow me to sort my desktop icons alphabetically,
  7. windows 10 sorting desktop icons in alphabetical order,
  8. sort desktop alphabetically,
  9. app to sort desktop icons by name and folder type,
  10. windows10 how to sorting icons,
  11. how to sort desktop icons alphabetically,