Windows 10: How to sort folders of music by Album Name

Discus and support How to sort folders of music by Album Name in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello..i know how to sort individual tracks by album/artist or whatever but I'm trying to sort folders of albums in a main folder and for the heck of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vice86, May 22, 2016.

1. vice86 Win User

How to sort folders of music by Album Name

Hello..i know how to sort individual tracks by album/artist or whatever but I'm trying to sort folders of albums in a main folder and for the heck of it can't figure out how to get it to do so.

Just to clarify this is my setup that I'm talking about:

D:\Music\Dance\Artist - Album Name

now in that Dance folder is about 75 albums/folders. All i can do is sort them by name. But I want to sort them by Album Name. I have the Album name column showing but its blank. I even added the folder to indexing but still nothing shows up.

Is there a way to do this?

:)

vice86, May 22, 2016
  2. garym123 Win User

Properly sorting songs by artist on WP8

Sorting totally depends on what is in the mp3 tag for each music file. song name, artist and album

Most all auto tagging of artist in compilation albums does a very bad job and this is why you end up with 'various artists'. Moving the files to different folders will not effect how they are sorted.

I usually tag compilation albums 'song name' with the 'artist - song name' and the artist with the 'album name'. This will keep them together as a album.

Fixing the mp3 tags is the only way.

When you have a music library on a PC the software rules how the music is sorted and album art is displayed, not the mp3 tag.

garym123, May 22, 2016
  3. KevynD Win User
    windows phone 8 music sync problem

Same here. After syncing, no matter how, with the windows phone 8 desktop app or by copying the music in the Music folder, my phone (lumia 920) changes the name of the Artist of some mp3, while keeping the correct Artist Album name.

So I find myself the mp3 sorted under the correct Artist Album name, but every mp3 then has its own album, with a different artist.

For instance, my phone changes the name of "Glee" to "Glee cast" for some mp3s. They are sorted under Glee as Album artist, but then I get several different album, each with the name of the song, and Glee Cast as Artist.

KevynD, May 22, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

To sort by Album name, you need Sort By > Album in the right click context menu. But it is not there.

Add it there.
    Step 1: Right Click > Sort by > More ....
    How to sort folders of music by Album Name [​IMG]
    In the Choose Details dialog, check the album box, click OK.
    Now Sort By > Album is rightly there.

Now, to add the Album column, you need to edit the music tags. I use MP3Tag in order to do this.

5. Album name will be blank if only the folders are showing in the list. The folders do not contain any tag info. Only the MP3 files have that info embedded in them. Track number, Artist, Album, etc will all be blank for folders in explorer.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to sort folders of music by Album Name - Similar Threads - sort folders music

2. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  3. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  4. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  6. Folder cannot sort by name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder cannot sort by name: I sort File folders and Shortcuts by name; however, it does not show as I expect.How do setting folders to make folders sort like following orders way? 1.TK.00_1.TK.01_1.TK.02_1.TK.03_............
  7. Folder cannot sort by name

8. in groove music, when two albums by the same artist are sorted Alphabetically not...

in groove music, when two albums by the same artist are sorted Alphabetically not...: when two albums by the same artist in the artists column have the same release year the app sorts them Alphabetically. I used Mp3tag to edit files dates and tried the formats: YYYY/M M/DD DD/M M/YYYY YYYY-MM-DD DD-MM-YYYY Month D, YYYY but it still won't sort them by date is...
  9. Sort by name, not type in folder

Sort by name, not type in folder: Im having a big issues with folder sorting. Is there any way to actually sort by NAME? Like this: 1 Folder 2 PDF 3 PDF 4 Folder 5 TEXT Right now it sorts by type, when i choose to sort by name - makes no sense to me. Thank you....
  10. How to delete music album metadata

How to delete music album metadata: I want to delete Groove music album metadata. My Mac OS 9 cannot read that album because of these metadata. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-music-album-metadata/7d62b5d8-33fd-432b-92fc-396a16368e74"