Windows 10: How to start Microsoft Photos from command line?

Discus and support How to start Microsoft Photos from command line? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi! In Windows 10 is new app for photos and albums as default picture viewer. In Windows 8.1 I used JPEGView, and sometimes Windows Photo Viewer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MIRKOSOFT, Aug 15, 2015.

1. MIRKOSOFT Win User

How to start Microsoft Photos from command line?

Hi!
    In Windows 10 is new app for photos and albums as default picture viewer.
    In Windows 8.1 I used JPEGView, and sometimes Windows Photo Viewer.
    Now I'm customizing Windows and I know how to start Photo Viewer from cmd and created context menu item.
    I want to associate pictures again to JPEGView and have context menu item for Windows 10 Photos, so, how to run Photos from command line?

Thank you for every help.
    Miro

:)

MIRKOSOFT, Aug 15, 2015

2. package not found - photo viewing

Open Start, type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

At the Command Prompt, type:

get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

Hit Enter

Exit the command prompt, restart, then download Photos from the Store:

Get Microsoft Photos - Microsoft Store

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/microso...

Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2015
  3. How to start "Spartan" browser from command line?

Guys,

How to start "Spartan" browser from command line ?

Regards,

Umashankar

Umashankar Velliah, Aug 15, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Sure you've got the answer by now.. anyway, here's how you can launch the photos app from a cmd prompt
    explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App
    or
    start ms-photos:

dalchina, Sep 13, 2015
  5. MIRKOSOFT Win User
    Thank you! Works!

But how to use "%1" parameter or filename? When I try anything, also not real path, it always opens MyDocuments.

Miro

MIRKOSOFT, Sep 13, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    These 'universal' apps aren't characterised like exe's to use params, it seems. So you can launch them from a command line or powershell, for example, but not with a parameter.

dalchina, Sep 13, 2015
  7. MIRKOSOFT Win User
    So, how it opens image clicked on?

MIRKOSOFT, Sep 13, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

I think you mean 'How does it open an image when you click on it?' - well, the problem seems to be that these are not well documented from what I've read. So, you can create shortcuts to them (but not in the normal way) - I know of two ways- and 'open with' allows you to freely change the association between a desktop app and photos.

But if you look at this:

How to start Microsoft Photos from command line? [​IMG]

you will see there is no path to the Photos app as you would expect for a 'desktop' exe.

It would seem there is a different mechanism in effect.

dalchina, Sep 13, 2015
  9. MIRKOSOFT Win User
    I can try make it same way like shortcuts to Libraries, Computer, God Mode...
    If it will work I'll reply.
    Miro

MIRKOSOFT, Sep 13, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    A thought which probably isn't worth the effort of exploring: start with the question- where is the location opened by Photos as default defined? For example, if it were in the registry, one 'might' be able to write a script that has as parameter what you want to open. That parameter is used to overwrite the default location which Photos would open. Then the script launches Photos. (And rewrites the default location to tidy up).

Even if the location is defined in the registry, overwriting it might not be effective without logging out, in, which would make the whole idea pretty useless! and if it's hard coded, well, no chance.

Really not worth the effort to explore...!

dalchina, Sep 14, 2015
  11. MIRKOSOFT Win User
    Yes, registry manipulating script is maybe only one way, I tried written in post before your and nothing helped.
    Sure is that it must to be possible 'cause if it works when are file associations default, then it's not impossible!

Miro

MIRKOSOFT, Sep 14, 2015
  12. jpeni Win User
    The most useful image viewer I found that works from the command line is ArtSage (ArtSage).

jpeni, Jun 9, 2016
  13. jmdraft Win User

Current tutorial – Photos – Albums – Windows 10

I’ve found a couple of videos:.

but in both cases, the “Albums” feature was not yet working when they were created.
    Can anyone give me a link to a video tutorial that was created after the Albums feature was fixed…………working now?

jmdraft, Jun 15, 2016
  14. Any luck opening photos through command line?

jshirahatti, Oct 23, 2016
  15. MIRKOSOFT Win User
    I must to use Process Monitor or Window Inspector. Currently missing time.

Miro

MIRKOSOFT, Oct 24, 2016
Thema:

1. How to start Microsoft Photos from command line? - Similar Threads - start Microsoft Photos

2. Command line commands

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command line commands: I would like to create a shortcut on the desktop using a command in a .bat file. I would like to specify what icon file to use, what program to execute, and the parameters to pass to the program. I have researched MKLINK but I don't think it will do the job. Any...
  3. Command Line

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Command Line: I am attempting to copy and entire directory from one HDD to another, by keep getting an error of "Invalid umber of parameters." The file path to the Directory is as follows: G:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\OLD OS FOLDER The destination folder is C:\OLDOS Can someone PLEASE...
  4. Join a Meeting by starting Teams from command line

Join a Meeting by starting Teams from command line: I posted the question below in the MS Teams category, but a Microsoft agent suggested I pose the question here. ------------- I have many online meetings every week, mainly on zoom and teams. I get the invitation 5-10 days ahead and used to forget about the meeting until...
  5. Command Line

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Command Line: My command line shows a different name when im the only user on the pc. submitted by /u/Fuadop [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hv4f7i/command_line/
  6. How to turn on battery saver from command line?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to turn on battery saver from command line?: Hi All anybody has a clue how to turn on battery saver in Windows 10 via command line? Thanks. 155088
  7. Command Line

Command Line: Hello sir. I am using windows 10 64bit. Earlier the netsat command use to work but it doesnt work now. whenever i try this command it displa an error. C:\>netstat 'netstat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. i have tried...
  8. Running a Command Line Command From a File Automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running a Command Line Command From a File Automatically: I have the following commands which need to be run in the command line: sc.exe config wuauserv start= disabled sc.exe stop wuauserv I want to create a file which, when launched, opens the command line, sends the above commands to the command line, and then closes the...
  9. How to Disable Driver Verifier from Command Line

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Disable Driver Verifier from Command Line: So I was using driver verifier to try to detect which drivers were causing my computer to crash by activating the verifier, getting it to crash (usually on start up) and restoring to a system restore point I had set up previously using a flash drive with windows on it and...
  10. Can restore of Win 7 be started from command line ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can restore of Win 7 be started from command line ?: For some unknown reason I cannot any more navigate to Update panel from "Einstellungen" - it is blocked. I have to cancel the "Einstellungen" window by the task manager ! So in this moment I cant go forward nor backward any more: cant activate Win 10 neither start the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. command Microsoft Photos parameters

2. microsoft photos PARAMETERS COMMAND LINE

3. how to launch commandline ms-photos

4. microsoft photos command line,
  5. command line parameters for windows photos,
  6. microsoft photos from command line,
  7. shell:appsfolder\microsoft.windows.photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!app open photo,
  8. microsoft photos command line with photo